User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #136
SDU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
And the new toy
(sorry noob here don't know how to attach all in one post)
Attached Images

SDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #137
Kural
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Hello Ladies,

I am one more female rider. I just got my first bike about 3 weeks ago, a Ural Patrol with sidecar, and I already am ready for my first service. Loads of fun and dual sport capability. Great benefit of being able to carry extra of whatever, as well as our pooch in the sidecar.

As far as speed, I agree that I don't really have any desire to break any speed records. I would never be able to or want to keep up with the speed seeking riders I have met, but since my rig won't really go more than 65-70 mph, I have a great excuse!

"I'm starting to enjoy the simple things in life. And it's freaking me out!" -Crozb

Life shrinks or expands according to your courage

"Just send it to me in HTML, and I will render it as I see fit." -Codewheeny
Kural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 AM   #138
geegdv
Grrl on a 650GS

Oddometer: 15
Laugh Another girlie on a GS!

Wow, I have to admit--I am really impressed by all of you and your travels, bikes and pics! I just got my '03 650GS in Oct last year and have put 3000 miles on it since I bought it. But most of my riding has been local--getting used to the way the bike handles on the street. Sometime this summer I'd like to venture out farther than my 30 mile radius...

Ventured out on the dirt for the first time last weekend and learned to shut off the ABS brakes--very important on the loose stuff pointing downhill! Doh! I know the bike is very capable of handling the dirt/street---its owner needs to get better at it--to really join the ranks of ADVriders!

On a technical note: have any of you modified the reach of your clutch and/or brake levers to bring them in closer to the bar? I need to adjust the reach on my clutch lever to bring it in closer and somehow reduce the resistance so my hands don't fatigue on short rides in traffic. If any of you have modified your bikes, I'd love to know what you used.

--I hope to ride with some of you one day, if your travels take you through SoCal!
geegdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:42 AM   #139
Kural
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Well, I don't know anything about the mechanics, or how to adjust/modify the clutch/brakes. But it would be great to hear if this is possible. I am glad to hear it's not just me. My hands really are fatigued by the end of the day (for some reason especially the left thumb). My husband doesn't have that problem, we thought maybe it was the unique 'steering pull' of a hack, which I am sure is a factor, but maybe it's a two-fold issue...

"I'm starting to enjoy the simple things in life. And it's freaking me out!" -Crozb

Life shrinks or expands according to your courage

"Just send it to me in HTML, and I will render it as I see fit." -Codewheeny
Kural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #140
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Oddometer: 2,059
Lever adjustments

Hey, gals!
It should be a snap to adjust the levers.
Not an uncommon problem..we gals tend to have smaller hands, which makes it harder to reach!!!..And vibration in the bars may be an issue, as well..can make your hands go numb. Check out bar end weights, or a "bar snake" insert
.And try the neoprene "Grip doughnuts" they sell in MC catalogs..will save your thumb! Cheap and easy to install!
I have fairly severe hand problems, and I use a "throttle rocker" which attaches to the throttle grip and takes the strain off your throttle hand on long rides.
Basically, you rest the heel of your palm on it to control throttle speed without having to maintain a death grip on the throttle! (Don't have the website..just type in "throttle rocker" and it should come up Also see "cramp buster" same thing, different brand.,)
Check your owner's manual,for lever adjustment..it should be pretty simple. (I am not good at describing things via the internet!) I had to do this to my clutch lever when I had a cast on my hand so I could ride!
Otherwise, ride your bike to the nearest dealership and explain your situation...
They should be happy to help!
Good luck!
~Lory

Rest easy, Dagwood ..You were My flawed yet perfect soul mate.
and... Mike, Amanda and Ben.
You are loved and missed.
KTM 640 Adventure

twisty sister screwed with this post 04-21-2006 at 10:26 AM
twisty sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #141
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geegdv
Wow, I have to admit--I am really impressed by all of you and your travels, bikes and pics! I just got my '03 650GS in Oct last year and have put 3000 miles on it since I bought it. But most of my riding has been local--getting used to the way the bike handles on the street. Sometime this summer I'd like to venture out farther than my 30 mile radius...

Ventured out on the dirt for the first time last weekend and learned to shut off the ABS brakes--very important on the loose stuff pointing downhill! Doh! I know the bike is very capable of handling the dirt/street---its owner needs to get better at it--to really join the ranks of ADVriders!

On a technical note: have any of you modified the reach of your clutch and/or brake levers to bring them in closer to the bar? I need to adjust the reach on my clutch lever to bring it in closer and somehow reduce the resistance so my hands don't fatigue on short rides in traffic. If any of you have modified your bikes, I'd love to know what you used.

--I hope to ride with some of you one day, if your travels take you through SoCal!
Hi..
Also, White Brothers makes an item called "Easy pull" for clutches..check it out!
~Lory

KTM 640 Adventure
Old 04-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #142
R.J.
split personality

Oddometer: 1,072
Girl here too! I don't know if I fall under the women riders category yet, because I am a big time newbie. I got tired of riding behind DH on his V-Strom. (When you ride behind, you always come in last.) So, I got my own bike - Suzuki GS500F and now I am learning how to ride. I'll be taking a motorcycle safety course in June, and then hope to do some touring in B.C. and Alberta with DH. Any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated!
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #143
geegdv
Grrl on a 650GS

Oddometer: 15
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty sister
Hey, gals!
It should be a snap to adjust the levers.
Not an uncommon problem..we gals tend to have smaller hands, which makes it harder to reach!!!..And vibration in the bars may be an issue, as well..can make your hands go numb. Check out bar end weights, or a "bar snake" insert
.And try the neoprene "Grip doughnuts" they sell in MC catalogs..will save your thumb! Cheap and easy to install!
I have fairly severe hand problems, and I use a "throttle rocker" which attaches to the throttle grip and takes the strain off your throttle hand on long rides.
Basically, you rest the heel of your palm on it to control throttle speed without having to maintain a death grip on the throttle! (Don't have the website..just type in "throttle rocker" and it should come up Also see "cramp buster" same thing, different brand.,)
Check your owner's manual,for lever adjustment..it should be pretty simple. (I am not good at describing things via the internet!) I had to do this to my clutch lever when I had a cast on my hand so I could ride!
Otherwise, ride your bike to the nearest dealership and explain your situation...
They should be happy to help!
Good luck!
~Lory
I do have a "cramp buster" for the throttle--got that right way after one long ride and now my boyfriend got one for his V-strom too. The BMW dealer I frequent had to change out the clutch lever with the '06 adjustable lever, available stock on the 650GS--but at least the option was there! Also changed out the grips to a gel dual density to absorb more of the road shock, so far so good, the bike came equipped with bar end weights. I'm going on a two day tour this weekend, I'll let you know if it really solved the entire problem!
geegdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #144
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Numb hands

Hey!
Sounds like you are on top of it! Enjoy your long ride..let me know how it goes..
Another option to try, if you still have hand troubles is the "Hunter flat bar"
An acquaintence of mine makes them..check out the website..I haven't plunked down the $$$ for em' yet,but have tried them, and am planning on buying a set. ..they make a HUGE difference!
www.hunterflatbars.com
Good luck!
~Lory

KTM 640 Adventure
Old 04-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #145
twisty sister
CRACK pot

Welcome, fellow rider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J.
Girl here too! I don't know if I fall under the women riders category yet, because I am a big time newbie. I got tired of riding behind DH on his V-Strom. (When you ride behind, you always come in last.) So, I got my own bike - Suzuki GS500F and now I am learning how to ride. I'll be taking a motorcycle safety course in June, and then hope to do some touring in B.C. and Alberta with DH. Any advice from you experts would be greatly appreciated!
Hey! All it takes to becoming a rider is desire...and of course, a bike!
You are well on your way!
You will LOVE it! EVERYONE is a noob at some point..and contrary to what a few folks will have you believe, NO ONE emerges from the womb astride a motorcycle!
Enjoy! Keep us all posted !
~Lory:

KTM 640 Adventure
Old 04-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #146
kittycactus
Banned

Oddometer: 578
*sigh* Better late than never. I'm 43, married to a great guy, live near Wolverine, Michigan, been riding for about 9 years, started in the dirt, still ride dirt, now ride street too, love both. Present rides are DRZ 250 and SV650S, the XR 50 for fun, and the John Deere when the grass needs it. Would love to hear from other gals in Michigan or surrounding areas for a ride in the dirt or the street. This is the best site I have found and all kinds of nice people, guys and gals., hang out here See ya - going out to look for Morels (not morals)!
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #147
Sol y Sombra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
I still remenber the first time I saw your website, i was thinking "Man this dude rides like the wind" yeah sorry for the chovinistic aproach ,but most of the Humans that can power driff a GS are ussually males, in fact I'm very much a male (not by choice for sure) and I can still not ride the way you do...
I hope you get better amiga Sylvia, so you can ride again like you did before.
Thanks very much!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #148
lotus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
adjustable levers

Hi Gee... I own a F650 GS too and have been having the same issue with tired clutch lever hand. I have been exploring some options and thought I would mention Wunderlich has an adjustable clutch and brake lever for the F650. This may be a great choice (except on the bank account.. ouch!)

Please let me know if you find any of the measures you have tried helps and welcome 650 sister!!
lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #149
overlander
Gravel Travel Tours

Oddometer: 380
skills school?

I've truely enjoyed lurking here on occasion and listening to the comments about M vs F riding styles. I think it's hilarious how M's tend to ride to meet up with F's an awful lot and F's tend to ride more to get away from M's!! I've also noticed a bit of anxiety when F's ride with M's and experience a percieved skill gap and feel like they are holding up the group. Wwwweellllll how would you all respond to a ladies only skills class from someone whom has extensive motorcycle and mechanical instructional experience? I could teach strategies on everything from bike maintenance and travel skills to bike handling technique particularly geared for bigger dual-sports. It could be a rally type format where we would meet at a predetermined location or I could host the thing at my training facility in Kansas City. I am open to suggestions, ideas, etc. on the subject. Whadaya think, ladies? Any takers?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #150
SDU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Glad to hear I'm not so crazy after all, to be riding with hand problems. Its good to be normal
I have used on some of my bikes an adjustable lever allowing it to be in closer to the bar & softer to use. It was 3/4x$ as much as a standard lever but worth it. I can't see what brand it is but here are some sites that offer clutches that may be helpful to someone. All clutch levers have some adjustment to soften the pull.
I also usually change my bars (off road) to good pro-tapers and put gel grips on to help with the comfort & vibes. Making sure the bars are the right shape & at the right height/ reach also allows you to be more comfortable. Stopping for a quick rest every so often helps too. Every little thing you do goes towards the big picture.
Everyone has some great suggestions- I must check out the throttle rocker for the bigger trips.

http://www.p3unlimited.com/clutch_levers.htm

http://asvinventions.com/levers_order/index.html

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/ac...ries194277.htm
SDU is offline   Reply With Quote