User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #1501
flygirl
n00bius maximus

Oddometer: 519
Woohoo! Beer? We've got beer!

Give me a couple of dates to work with and I'll make sure we've got a fresh keg tapped
Loki - '76 7KCAB (three-wheeler of sorts)
flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #1502
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirl
Woohoo! Beer? We've got beer!

Give me a couple of dates to work with and I'll make sure we've got a fresh keg tapped
Oooo baby...fresh tapped homebrew....I am so IN! Maybe weekend of Nov 15th or 22nd?? Might be a hooligan race in there, but can work around that. GraniteGirl...maybe we ought to work around your research/exam schedule??

Am going to send my contact info via PM. Might be easier to organize that way.
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #1503
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieRider
Seems like we might be pulling something together! I started a thread about it in the Rockies forum and subscribed to it so I can bring it to life again as it sinks to the bottom of the line up as it inevitably will since Aug '09 is so far away. Just thought a thread might be an easier way to keep track of info rather than have it scattered in this thread.

Will try to keep tabs on the AMA website to notify folks when registration info is posted. Don't know if the conference will have limited registration or not.

Granite Girl...you probably have better info about about camping in Keystone than I, so if you want to handle that end of things, great. If you want help, I'm happy to assist. It would be important to find someplace that would take reservations as opposed to first come, first served since there will likely be a lot of folks in town looking to camp not to mention locals and tourists.
Prairierider and Granit Girl, thanks for taking on the job of getting together over beer to discuss camping. Good idea on starting a thread in the Rockies. I'll start one in the Pacific Northwet in the next few days and get them pointed to your thread.

This should be fun.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:02 AM   #1504
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,149
I haven't been to the Women's Conference since 2002, I may have to see if I can make this one.
Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:49 AM   #1505
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
I haven't been to the Women's Conference since 2002, I may have to see if I can make this one.

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #1506
bonegrl
n00biest of n00bs

Oddometer: 298
Cool2

Actually, I'm not getting a bike til Thanksgiving cause I have the best husband in the world!
bonegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #1507
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Just reviving this note below...there's a thread started in the Rockies Forum. Please subscribe if you would like to keep an eye on developments. Am sure things will be slow for the next few months, but will get busier as August approaches. Glad to see all the interest!!

Quote:
Seems like we might be pulling something together! I started a thread about it in the Rockies forum and subscribed to it so I can bring it to life again as it sinks to the bottom of the line up as it inevitably will since Aug '09 is so far away. Just thought a thread might be an easier way to keep track of info rather than have it scattered in this thread.

Will try to keep tabs on the AMA website to notify folks when registration info is posted. Don't know if the conference will have limited registration or not.

Granite Girl...you probably have better info about about camping in Keystone than I, so if you want to handle that end of things, great. If you want help, I'm happy to assist. It would be important to find someplace that would take reservations as opposed to first come, first served since there will likely be a lot of folks in town looking to camp not to mention locals and tourists.
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #1508
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonegrl

Actually, I'm not getting a bike til Thanksgiving cause I have the best husband in the world!
Cool, what are you getting?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #1509
bonegrl
n00biest of n00bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
Cool, what are you getting?
Looking at the BMW F650GS, though the guys in the A.A.R.S.E. thread are telling that I should get something cheaper to start with since I can't take it out on single track or OHV. I have an ATV for that. But I did register for a beginners course for next month. I guess that is a good start.

EDIT: I just realized that you have what I want...I like the silver. And the red (it would match the truck and toy hauler). What is your opinion? I'm not planning on taking it through the woods the day I get it or anything. I am planning on taking the intermediate riding course and the BMW course also.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #1510
granitegirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Looking at the BMW F650GS, though the guys in the A.A.R.S.E. thread are telling that I should get something cheaper to start with since I can't take it out on single track or OHV. I have an ATV for that. But I did register for a beginners course for next month. I guess that is a good start.

EDIT: I just realized that you have what I want...I like the silver. And the red (it would match the truck and toy hauler). What is your opinion? I'm not planning on taking it through the woods the day I get it or anything. I am planning on taking the intermediate riding course and the BMW course also.
Hi! I'm a newbie rider as well, just started in August. I had my heart set on a F650GS as well, but got lots of advice telling me to start smaller first. All it took to convince me was sitting on a F650 and feeling the weight difference between that and what I ended up with, a Kawasaki Super Sherpa (250cc)...

And I'm really happy with the Sherpa so far, but hope to add a F650GS to the garage, maybe in the spring. Keeping the Sherpa for offroad adventures, and using the BMW more as a street bike.

Whatever you choose, have fun with your classes!!!
granitegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #1511
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitegirl
Hi! I'm a newbie rider as well, just started in August. I had my heart set on a F650GS as well, but got lots of advice telling me to start smaller first. All it took to convince me was sitting on a F650 and feeling the weight difference between that and what I ended up with, a Kawasaki Super Sherpa (250cc)...

And I'm really happy with the Sherpa so far, but hope to add a F650GS to the garage, maybe in the spring. Keeping the Sherpa for offroad adventures, and using the BMW more as a street bike.

Whatever you choose, have fun with your classes!!!
I got at KLR 650 as my first bike and though I've kept it, I recently bought a DR350, and it is doing wonders for my confidence. Also, a lot of what I'm learning on the DR translates to my KLR. Getting the smaller bike first would be my advice, but enjoy whatever you get for sure!! I loved the MSF class. Will probably re-take it next year. Several folks have said I'll get an entirely different perspective by re-taking the class after having some miles under my belt. Enjoy!
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #1512
bonegrl
n00biest of n00bs

I'm going to look at a different bikes, but we have to drive to Atlanta to look at the BMWs. I am definitely getting the whole smaller to begin with is a good idea, but we want to get something that we can both ride (not together). The other thing is, I want something that doesn't look so much like a dirt bike if that makes sense. Something that I can out the hard cases on and not be odd. I am going to look at the Sherpa on Monday if they have one at the shop. I have to haul the hubby's bike over to get serviced for when he comes home. Thanks for the sugesstions!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #1513
Tempesta
I know, right?

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
I'm going to look at a different bikes, but we have to drive to Atlanta to look at the BMWs. I am definitely getting the whole smaller to begin with is a good idea, but we want to get something that we can both ride (not together). The other thing is, I want something that doesn't look so much like a dirt bike if that makes sense. Something that I can out the hard cases on and not be odd. I am going to look at the Sherpa on Monday if they have one at the shop. I have to haul the hubby's bike over to get serviced for when he comes home. Thanks for the sugesstions!
If you're in Atlanta looking at BMWs ... take a look at the G650 XCountry. I think it's 40-50 lbs lighter than a GS. Makes a huge difference, at least to me. And the 2009s are quite a bit lower than the 07-08 models, FYI.

But smaller is better to start. I started on a Yamaha XT 225.

K
Tempesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #1514
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Quote:

I agree something cheaper and smaller to start is a good way to go. If you can find a very inexpensive used bike to ride for the first few months you can do your learning and possibily dropping with that. If you get a good used bike say 5 years old or more you can always get your money out of it when it comes time to buy your dream bike. After taking a class and getting a little riding in your have a much better idea of what you want for you.

We all have ideas of what the best bike is but that's the best bike for us. Right now I want to look at the new G650GS BMW two cylinder that's coming out. It might even be at your BMW shop now. The X series bikes are nice too but way too tall for me and will never be in my sights.

With that said V-Stroms are good bikes and if you can find a good used one it would be a good bike if you are going to start on a 650. The Buell Blast is also a good bike if it's only going to be used for road riding.

There are all sorts of great bikes out there to start on and it depends on what type of riding you want to do while you get a few miles under you and get comfortable with the bike.

I started on a 100 cc bike many years ago and it was the best for me. I also wasn't trying to keep up with "the big boys". The 200-250 cc dual sport bikes are great for starting on too. In fact I have a DR200 that I enjoy the heck out of because it's easy to ride and easy to turn around in tight spots, also easier to pick up if it goes over and it has.

There are lots of choices out there, sit on all the bikes you can, feel it, see how it fits you, leaing it back and forth, push it forward, back it up and most important find the bike that you connect with and not what someone else things you should get.

Good luck, I'll be waiting to see what you decide on for your first bike.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #1515
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,950
Wink Hello.... Lady Draco??...could use your help!!

Quote:
Hey, gals - The following event is taking place in Keystone, CO next year in August. I know this is pretty early, but I also know some folks make plans early.

Women's Motorcycle Event

The host facility looks a bit pricey but they do have condos to rent. If a group got together, could probably get the price down to something reasonable.
This sounds really great....quite a distance for a little Yamaha XT 250 - but maybe if I got my tires switched out by then (OEM's Cheng Shi* are *unstable and squirmy* at all speeds)....and dressed up my bike to take longer trips - kinda' like Lady Draco's - it might work. Camping would be great, too, but I'd probably rather rent a condo if some others would like to go in on that.

Lady Draco....what kind of tires did you put on your XT, and what did you use for your rack to tie on your gear? As much as I love my husband, I'm really yearning to go on an all female trip.. !!!

And....
Bonegrl - how tall are you? I have heard Sherpa's are a great way to start. On my XT 250 - my feet are *almost* flat, and I'm about 5'4 1/2. With MC boots - I'm much more comfortable. I also started many years ago on a smaller bike (at least, a lower to the ground street bike). I've heard Honda Rebel's are a great street bike on which to start, if you're not interested in a dualsport...Where are you located - 'cause we will all help 'ya find something that will work for you!! And sometimes what is available depends on where you are, and how far you are willing to travel to get it. :^)

Roadrunner screwed with this post 10-25-2008 at 01:16 PM
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote