Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2006, 01:43 AM   #151
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,499
Hello. My name is Mark. My gf Anna, aka VIVID1, and I just joined this board. I'll have to tell her about this thread. She's already sport-toured thru most the U.S. as recorded on her website www.excessivelocity.com.

We'll both probably be looking to get a couple dual-sport bikes next year and expand our horizons on those. I already know a bunch of the guys over on the 'Great White North' section as Alaska really can be pretty "small."

Happy trails, Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 04-30-2006 at 02:06 AM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:48 AM   #152
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,385
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander
I've truely enjoyed lurking here on occasion and listening to the comments about M vs F riding styles. I think it's hilarious how M's tend to ride to meet up with F's an awful lot and F's tend to ride more to get away from M's!! I've also noticed a bit of anxiety when F's ride with M's and experience a percieved skill gap and feel like they are holding up the group. Wwwweellllll how would you all respond to a ladies only skills class from someone whom has extensive motorcycle and mechanical instructional experience? I could teach strategies on everything from bike maintenance and travel skills to bike handling technique particularly geared for bigger dual-sports. It could be a rally type format where we would meet at a predetermined location or I could host the thing at my training facility in Kansas City. I am open to suggestions, ideas, etc. on the subject. Whadaya think, ladies? Any takers?
I think ladies only skills class in rally type format would be totally awesome!! AMA holds a women's conferance every couple years but it's crawling with men , that sort of takes away from the women's thing. I have seen exactly what you are talking about with the Ms and Fs. I have hosted a few ladies only dirt rides as well as street rides. On these rides the women are more open to trying new things as well as asking questions they won't ask when men (especially their man) are around. Of course this isn't true for all women but for a lot it is.

You say you have a training facility In Kansas, do you have a website about it? What type of training facility? Are you a certified MSF instructor? Kansas is pretty centeral for the United States and might be a good place to have it. Of course if the majority of interest comes from one area maybe getting closer to that area might be better.

Hey Ladies~~~~ This sounds like a blast, what do the rest of you think? Let's leave the guys at home, let our hair down and some fun.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:48 AM   #153
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander
I've truely enjoyed lurking here on occasion and listening to the comments about M vs F riding styles. I think it's hilarious how M's tend to ride to meet up with F's an awful lot and F's tend to ride more to get away from M's!! I've also noticed a bit of anxiety when F's ride with M's and experience a percieved skill gap and feel like they are holding up the group. Wwwweellllll how would you all respond to a ladies only skills class from someone whom has extensive motorcycle and mechanical instructional experience? I could teach strategies on everything from bike maintenance and travel skills to bike handling technique particularly geared for bigger dual-sports. It could be a rally type format where we would meet at a predetermined location or I could host the thing at my training facility in Kansas City. I am open to suggestions, ideas, etc. on the subject. Whadaya think, ladies? Any takers?
I think ladies only skills class in rally type format would be totally awesome!! AMA holds a women's conferance every couple years but it's crawling with men , that sort of takes away from the women's thing. I have seen exactly what you are talking about with the Ms and Fs. I have hosted a few ladies only dirt rides as well as street rides. On these rides the women are more open to trying new things as well as asking questions they won't ask when men (especially their man) are around. Of course this isn't true for all women but for a lot it is.

You say you have a training facility In Kansas, do you have a website about it? What type of training facility? Are you a certified MSF instructor? Kansas is pretty centeral for the United States and might be a good place to have it. Of course if the majority of interest comes from one area maybe getting closer to that area might be better.

Hey Ladies~~~~ This sounds like a blast, what do the rest of you think? Let's leave the guys at home, let our hair down and some fun.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #154
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

It's been a few days since I've checked in here and I see there's been a bit of action. I like it!! It's so nice to know there are other ladies out there riding Are any of you in the Pacific Northwest?

SDU, don't you just love it when you're bike will stand upright without the kickstand being down. Great picture of the mud ! I have a couple like that with my dirt bike, boy when they get into that position they want to stay there. That mud really sucks them in. The new bike is mighty nice looking.

geegdv, I have had a lot of motifying done on my bikes over the years and bringing the clutch and brake lever in closer for better reach with short fingers have been one of them. I'm not good at explaining things like that but it usually can be done with a simple adjustment. Ask your mechanic if he/she can do that for you. I see others have mentioned easy pulls and throttle rockers, they are also good choices. I alway add a throttle lock to my bikes. With a flip of a lever they will hold the throttle in position for you. They are not intended to ride that way for any legnth of time but they are nice to be able to lock it and take you hand off the throttle for a few seconds to give it a break There are a few different brand out there, throttlemeister is probably the best and of course is the most expensive. Myself I use the cheapest, Vistacruise, it does what I need it to do but isn't the quality of the throttlemeister.

R.J. Congratulations with getting into a position of not always coming in last. You'll have a blast with your new bike and you chose a good one. Taking the motorcycle course is the best way to go, you'll learn so much there. The advise I feel strongest about is probably to ride your own ride. If you don't feel comfortable or confident in doing something someone else is doing, don't do it. As a newer rider it'll take you a while to get to the level of other, take your time and get there when the time is right for you. OK that's my lecture for the day. Enjoy the new bike.

I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's adventures as this riding season progresses.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #155
overlander
Gravel Travel Tours

Oddometer: 377
Let's plan it!

I am not a certified MSF instructor but have been through the training classes and have studied the rider coach coursework and am very close to the MSF community. I was the local sight manager for two years. I am a certified master technician and have been teaching vehicla maintenance for 17 years teaching women specific classes a good deal of that time. I've been riding motos since the age of 9 and will have completed my 300,000th mile on BMW motorcycles well before the summer is over. Please understand that this would not be a course for first timers even though we will touch on the basics some. I don't try and compete with the MSF because they're good at what they do and there's not much to improve upon there. But rather this would be an off-road oriented class to help you become more capable when the roads deteriorate and offer strategies on how to deal with bigger bikes in degrading conditions. I can travel if the numbers are there. We can do more than one of these certainly and address lots of areas of concern for solo traveling and maintenance, etc., etc. I will guarantee it to be beneficial.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #156
aardvark

Oddometer: 6,932
No female rider here, just admiring some pics and stories from some of the stronger (sexier) females around.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #157
RockinRobin
F'er Girl

Oddometer: 795
I guess this is considered a 205, but I'm obviously a female.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #158
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRobin
I guess this is considered a 205, but I'm obviously a female.
Hey stranger!

How's things? It's nice to see you again. Where ya been hiding?

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #159
RockinRobin
F'er Girl

Oddometer: 795
HI I've been around. Just riding and enjoying myself.

How are things going for you? I saw a blip that you are in Arkansas?

Man you really get around lol lol (in a good way)

Old 05-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #160
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRobin
HI I've been around. Just riding and enjoying myself.

How are things going for you? I saw a blip that you are in Arkansas?

Man you really get around lol lol (in a good way)

Yup... Arkansas. I love it here. Divorced and moved. And couldn't be happier.

Glad to hear things are well with you! Keep it up and post a ride report once in a while.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #161
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Another one signs in

Ladies and Gents,
I have been lurking here for a couple of years. More so when I had my F650GS. Now I ride a BMW R1150R and I'm loving it. I do miss the dirt capabilities of the GS. I am thinking of adding a KLR 250 or something of that sort. I want to be able to ride pavement to the trails.
I have been riding for 15 years or so. I am a big fan of BMW's and I also love old Hondas. I have a couple of nice old mini trails that I adore.
I live in MN and ride about 7,000 miles a year. I'd like to get in 10,000 this year. I just started a forum for women who ride BMW's and invite you all to check it out (especially the women here!) www.bmwomen.com
I am planning a circle tour of Lake Superior this summer with another women from the board. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for having me here.
Julia

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #162
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
Ladies and Gents,
I have been lurking here for a couple of years. More so when I had my F650GS. Now I ride a BMW R1150R and I'm loving it. I do miss the dirt capabilities of the GS. I am thinking of adding a KLR 250 or something of that sort. I want to be able to ride pavement to the trails.
I have been riding for 15 years or so. I am a big fan of BMW's and I also love old Hondas. I have a couple of nice old mini trails that I adore.
I live in MN and ride about 7,000 miles a year. I'd like to get in 10,000 this year. I just started a forum for women who ride BMW's and invite you all to check it out (especially the women here!) www.bmwomen.com
I am planning a circle tour of Lake Superior this summer with another women from the board. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for having me here.
Julia
Hiya Julia!

Thanks for the link - I'll make sure to check it out - it's always nice to chat with other female riders.

VR

Old 05-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #163
giddyupgirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog
Ladies and Gents,
Julia

Thanks for the link, Julia. I checked it out, nice work.

I'll be sure to register.

I'm currently riding a 650gs and loving it!
giddyupgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #164
riderchick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Question What to bring, what to leave behind

OK ladies -- Noob needing advice here. I'm going on my first m/c vacation with my S/O heading from Wilmington, DE up to Canada and back with stops in PA, ON, QC, VT, NH, NY. We're riding 2-up (with me as backseat driver, I don't have a bike (yet?)) which means 2 hard case saddle bags and the tank bag only for 2 people. This is a 10 day trip (june 3-11), we'll probably take a trip to the laundramat on the 6th or 7th.

So here's the question -- when you travel by m/c what do you take and what do you leave at home? We're hoteling it, so I know I don't need my hairdrier (heck I'll have helmet hair anyways so I'll be wearing a hat most of the non-bike time anyways). I'm thinking 2 pairs of jeans, 3 or 4 tops and coordinating accessories (socks, u/w, etc), small brush, toothbrush, travel sized toothpaste/shampoo/conditioner, minimal makeup, mandatory medications (i.e. prescriptions). What else?

If you have packing recommendations too (roll vs folding clothes), I'll take them.

Thanks all!
Jennifer
Old 05-23-2006, 09:31 AM   #165
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderchick
OK ladies -- Noob needing advice here. I'm going on my first m/c vacation with my S/O heading from Wilmington, DE up to Canada and back with stops in PA, ON, QC, VT, NH, NY. We're riding 2-up (with me as backseat driver, I don't have a bike (yet?)) which means 2 hard case saddle bags and the tank bag only for 2 people. This is a 10 day trip (june 3-11), we'll probably take a trip to the laundramat on the 6th or 7th.

So here's the question -- when you travel by m/c what do you take and what do you leave at home? We're hoteling it, so I know I don't need my hairdrier (heck I'll have helmet hair anyways so I'll be wearing a hat most of the non-bike time anyways). I'm thinking 2 pairs of jeans, 3 or 4 tops and coordinating accessories (socks, u/w, etc), small brush, toothbrush, travel sized toothpaste/shampoo/conditioner, minimal makeup, mandatory medications (i.e. prescriptions). What else?

If you have packing recommendations too (roll vs folding clothes), I'll take them.

Thanks all!
Jennifer
Light clothing that dries quickly will save you a trip to the laundrymat(you can wash them in the hotel sink). Rolling clothes saves space if you're packing for 2 with limited cargo room. Music(ie: MP3 player, earphones) will replace ear plugs, but don't forget batteries. Hotel/motels will carry toothpaste/shampoo/conditioner. Take a travel book of where you're headed if you want to do a bit of the 'tourist' thing.

VR

VelvtRide screwed with this post 05-23-2006 at 09:36 AM