Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #1906
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,949
Eh? I like that Dare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Velcro
ALL RIGHtT - this is going to be fun - the most outrageous place to wear your ATGATT....maybe I should make that a general dare for everyone.
MMMmmm - great dare...I'll have to work on that one!

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #1907
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Wink Gotta' take a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieRider
I donned a dress to attend a wedding. Put my riding pants & boots underneath, coat on top, helmet, gloves, etc and after making sure the skirt wasn't so full it would catch in any spokes or gears rode my KLR to the wedding that way...30 miles on a secondary highway up to a lodge in the mountains. Upon arrival, I stripped off the gear, put on sandals, and voila! Wish I had a pic, but I was riding alone. Got some pretty funny looks on the way out & back...
Start taking a camera with you Prarie Girl...we wanna' see! Hey, we should think of some kind of reward to the most crazy place someone wears ATGATT. Only 2 rules - 1. It can't be staged - you hafta' have really ridden there (and back of course), in what you're wearing in the picture....and 2. You must post a picture of it here.

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason

Roadrunner screwed with this post 07-12-2009 at 03:49 PM
Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #1908
bmwgrrl
Goin' Minimalistic

Oddometer: 437
ok, I'll sponsor a 'Buff' from the outdoor store I manage - Best ATGATT in Odd Places.

Ladies - start your shutter buttons!

Not All Who are Lost Wish to be Found
bmwgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #1909
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,386

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #1910
Sojourner2005
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Women Riders are all the Rage

Hello All. I'm not a dual-sporter but love to ride nonetheless. I'm planning a trip from Manitoba, Canada to Boston, Ma for next month. Having a great time getting ready, mapping the route and I can't wait for the next four weeks to pass. Nice meeting y'all...
Sojourner2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #1911
aly
Bigger Than Hip Hop

Oddometer: 15
Hi Everyone!

I am new to ADVrider and totally new to Dual Sport Riding. In fact, I am pretty new to any riding! I just completed the MSF Basic Rider Course and when I was done I decided I should upgrade from my 1978 Honda Express scooter. So, I am planning on getting a Yamaha XT225 this Saturday and I am very excited. Does anyone in here ride an XT225 and have some tips for me? This seems like a great forum and I am happy to have found such a great resource!
aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #1912
bmwgrrl
Goin' Minimalistic

Milwaukee! I grew up in WI's basement (northern burbs of Chicago). Some nice riding up there. Welcome aboard! Enjoy your new ride! Dualies are great!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #1913
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner2005
Hello All. I'm not a dual-sporter but love to ride nonetheless. I'm planning a trip from Manitoba, Canada to Boston, Ma for next month. Having a great time getting ready, mapping the route and I can't wait for the next four weeks to pass. Nice meeting y'all...
When you get to Boston (my home town) and if you like seafood, hit the No Name Restaurant on the Fish Pier...best chowdah anywhere...enough soup innards to stand up a spoon and none of this thickened broth stuff. If you're a book affianado, the best book store anywhere is the New England Mobile Book Fair in Newton, just west of Boston...it's only in Newton and it is in no way mobile...it's a warehouse with 20% off all hardbacks and a remainders and overstocks section that has to be seen to be believed and is heavily discounted. And...while you're in Newton, check out Cabot's ice cream shop...a one of a kind place that's been there over 40 years. Three kinds...yep, count'em, 1 - 2 - 3 kinds of hot fudge sauce. Decent regular food too.

The Kahner's electrical theater at the Boston Museum of Science has the world's largest van de graaf generator...think indoor lightening bolts!

Have fun!

Paula
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #1914
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Hello Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly
Hi Everyone!

I am new to ADVrider and totally new to Dual Sport Riding. In fact, I am pretty new to any riding! I just completed the MSF Basic Rider Course and when I was done I decided I should upgrade from my 1978 Honda Express scooter. So, I am planning on getting a Yamaha XT225 this Saturday and I am very excited. Does anyone in here ride an XT225 and have some tips for me? This seems like a great forum and I am happy to have found such a great resource!
I'm sure there are women in here that ride the XT225 - I know "Cookie" used to - until someone stole it. Be sure to figure out good security for it, they tend to disappear.

Here is the ADV thread for XT225's in general.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...78968&page=118

They sort of "adopt" us XT250 riders in there, and also in the xt225.com forums.....

Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #1915
aly
Bigger Than Hip Hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgrrl
Milwaukee! I grew up in WI's basement (northern burbs of Chicago). Some nice riding up there. Welcome aboard! Enjoy your new ride! Dualies are great!
I can't wait to start riding! I've been looking up all sorts of back roads to get to my usual destinations :) What are some of your favorite places to ride up here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
Here is the ADV thread for XT225's in general.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...78968&page=118
Thanks Roadrunner, you've been very helpful! I appreciate it! Any first-timer tips you can share?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #1916
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Yes - I would be remiss if I didn't say....

Everyone in here preaches ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time! (Whatever gear you choose!) Be safe, have fun, and ride your own ride. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing what you don't feel ready to do.....

Any other tips we can give her fellow riders??? Now is the time to chime in!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #1917
aly
Bigger Than Hip Hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner
Everyone in here preaches ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time! (Whatever gear you choose!) Be safe, have fun, and ride your own ride. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing what you don't feel ready to do.....
I was just telling my boyfriend "All this ATGATT talk is making me want to buy, buy, buy!"
I really love the ATGATT philosophy, though. I ride a little scooter right now and I wear a long sleeve shirt, pants, and most importantly, a helmet. (pants and a long sleeve shirt aren't really 'gear' but it suffices.. for now) People always laugh when they see me with my big ol helmet head, but they wouldn't be laughing if I fell over going 15mph and died of a head injury due to not wearing a helmet!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:38 AM   #1918
bmwgrrl
Goin' Minimalistic

In 4th grade I landed in ICU & 3 days in the hospital for a concussion from a bicycle - clocked myself on the right side temple (known as the Death Zone.) In those days, bike helmets were unknown. I look back at all the sports I've done since then and lined up my helmets - mtn bike, hockey, jockey's(horses), climbing, motorcycle - then match the appropriate boots & gear. It's kinda funny to look in my closet and see the progression of gear (although with flyfishing there's no helmet, but ever fling a weighted fly and feel it whiz by your head makes you think twice )

Alas, no Dolce and Gabana shoes, much to my mother's chagrin. Although I think my Alpinestars are Italian, no?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #1919
KayLR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
I rode to my cousins funeral on my bike-it was too pretty not too.But, I have no pics-but I did shop in ATGATT at our local grocery and Amy(she works there) got this pic. It's not really outrageous to us but they thought it was!LOL

and then she carried my groceries out so she could see my bike

I do that alot-I have a rev-pak that folds up and I can put it in my tankbag and then get it out for groceries-I can probably fit about 8-10 bags in it! I went to friedns house last evening with a five gallon bucket of drywall mud and gallon of paint with roller netted on the back-love my wide rack! My bikes wide rack I mean!!
07 silver wee-strom----sold
I was dual before it was cool!!!
KayLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #1920
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Wink Twist the Throttle

If any of you get this program on "Speed" TV, they recently had a piece on how Alpinestar makes their gear - with the simple goal of protecting the rider. And yes - they are Italian!

Back when I first started riding, wearing a helmet was considered "a lot" of gear. I, too rode in blue jeans, long sleeve shirt, etc. But one good look at a road rash case (there are some "graphic" pictures in here) gets one over thinking that long sleeves will do anything to protect you from asphalt - or even dirt.

Yesterday I wimped out because I had, within the last year, made a simple choice - no gear = no ride. And I couldn't fathom putting on my gear when the temps hit in the high 80's by 9:00 in the morning. My truck registered 100 degrees F. in Albuquerque by the time I finished my errands. I won't ride anymore without helmet, heavy boots, and elbow, shoulder and back armor. It just isn't worth the risk....it is not my own riding that scares me, (so much) but the Cagers out there who consider us invisible. I did see a woman out in traffic on a little scooter - holding back traffic because her scooter couldn't keep up, though it was street legal. All she had on was a helmet and boots. And I couldn't help but worry when I saw her in a blouse and pants. She seemed oblivious to the fact that as she blocked traffic both temperatures and tempers were flaring.....

There is one thread in here, story after story, of people just moving their bike in a garage or driveway, hitting their head and dying. So a helmet is most important - but I like my skin, knees, elbows, etc. intact too. And I've found that entry-level gear is not expensive - and rather cool looking, at that!

So WHERE ARE ALL THOSE ATGATT PICTURES we are posting for the "win a Buff" contest? I think we can way.... outdo those pics the guys are posting....

Roadrunner screwed with this post 07-15-2009 at 10:07 AM