one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,911

MeanMoe screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 04:40 PM
MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #2402
paxpuella
n00b

Oddometer: 8
What kind of riding boots do you have? For Christmas, my husband bought some gear for us, the pants, jacket and such but I still need some boots. I don't want the frumpy ugly things you see the guys wearing, but something a bit more feminine that won't fall apart and aren't ugly as sin. That's not asking too much is it?

I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but when I did a search, nothing pulled up easily that I could see. Thanks :)
paxpuella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #2403
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella View Post
What kind of riding boots do you have? For Christmas, my husband bought some gear for us, the pants, jacket and such but I still need some boots. I don't want the frumpy ugly things you see the guys wearing, but something a bit more feminine that won't fall apart and aren't ugly as sin. That's not asking too much is it?

I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but when I did a search, nothing pulled up easily that I could see. Thanks :)
I've been where you are right now and I found it's really hard to find anything that doesn't look "frumpy" that will still offer decent protection.

Sidi's are real nice so are Alpinestars as far as brands. The model of boot you want might depend on the type of riding you do. There's street, dirt and adventure riding boots advertised on most sites. I own both street and dirt boots. The dirt boots offer much more protection. They are the mx style that you probably consider frumpy but after recently introducing my bike and body to a tree at 30 mph and as a result being on crutches for a few weeks I'm SO FREAKING GLAD I had my big frumpy boots on. I didn't take the boot off until I was in the ER with the doctor. He said, anything less and bones would have broke. As it is now I'm still recovering from nerve and muscle damage in my left leg. My calf was in between the tree and my bike where I hit right near the top buckle on the outside of the boot.

These are the boots I was wearing when I crashed.

These are the boots I will be upgrading to, when my budget allows.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #2404
paxpuella
n00b

Thanks for the reply :) I just do street riding with my husband, not sure how we'd both handle dirt riding lol. I was on the motorcycle closeouts site and was reading some of the reviews and some of them were back and forth with some people really liking them and then a few posts down on the reviews, it'd get terrible results. I always wonder how truthful some of those reviews really are when the item is being praised beyond the highest of praise.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #2405
Kürbczech
Almost tacticool...

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Thanks for the reply :) I just do street riding with my husband, not sure how we'd both handle dirt riding lol. I was on the motorcycle closeouts site and was reading some of the reviews and some of them were back and forth with some people really liking them and then a few posts down on the reviews, it'd get terrible results. I always wonder how truthful some of those reviews really are when the item is being praised beyond the highest of praise.
I wonder, too, which reviews are from people who have wrecked and kept appendages thanks to the gear that would otherwise be complained about.

Dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm not on a bike to look good. (Jeez, one look at my bike will tell ya that! )
Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 AM   #2406
Catskill
tree hugger

Quote:
Ok so lets all start reviewing the things we've purchased!

There are no stores close to me that stock a good selection of boots so I end up ordering online (and returning) a lot. I've tried on many street boots and So far the sidi vertigo boots were the only ones that ever seemed *almost* as protective as dirt riding boots. I had to return them because they did not fit my feet correctly but the protection appeared to all there. I own a pair of the Gaerne womens rose boots. They offer NO PROTECTION WHAT SO EVER!! I thought Gaerne was supposed to be a good brand? I think I was drawn/conned into the attractive style. If I hadn't allready skuffed up the bottom I would have returned them.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #2407
roadchick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I've been looking for some serious riding boots for a few months now. I finally found what I think will work best for me. We are planning a trip to Alaska next summer and wanted some great all around warm, waterproof boots. I don't do much dirt riding...just a little gravel and some dirt roads..I ride a 650 vstrom which I love...The daytona lady stars give me a little more height which will help alot. Just got them yesterday, so I haven' been able to ride in them yet. They are definitely at the top end of the price scale....but I think I'm going to love them!!! And for someone that is a little vertically challenged the height advantage to these boots will be worth it for me...Here's a link from Web Bike that gives a review

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...dy-star-boots/

And lucky for me I was able to buy them local with great customer service!!!!

http://www.helimot.com/shopreviewlist.asp?id=73

I will give my review after I've ridden in them a bit!!!
roadchick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #2408
paxpuella
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuerbczech View Post
Dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm not on a bike to look good. (Jeez, one look at my bike will tell ya that! )
Well, I wouldn't say my main purpose for being on the bike is to look cute ... but if I have a choice of being able to find something that appeals to me better than another and still offers the protection it should and the comfort, I'll always go that route . (Maybe I've just been wearing my husband's old, clunky stuff for too long and just excited to get girl's stuff now )

The most I've gone in one day is 400 miles and would like to work my way up, until my rheumatoid arthritis takes away any enjoyment I get from it whatsoever and I have to stop.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #2409
Catskill
tree hugger

Great post and review!
Thanx. Shonganai

Old 12-31-2010, 03:40 AM   #2410
Kürbczech
Almost tacticool...

Oddometer: 601
Thanks, Shogs! Man, you can really tell they upgraded those boots a little, too -- they look sweet!

And I do appreciate the desire to find stuff made "for us ladies," so-to-speak. But I find it irritating, if not damn right conspiratorial, that (like a lot of other products out there) men's stuff is more durable, comfortable, and cheaper than the same stuff made for women. Some brands are changing this, but they still gravitate toward aesthetics before performance -- it's not fair, and this makes the Kuerbczech very angry.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #2411
Racergirl18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Im Back !!!!!!!

Hello,
I am new to this thread, I will be getting my drivers permit soon,
I have spent thousands of miles with my dad, Our longest Iron Butt day was leaving Chicago at 6am, and getting to Moab utah, in 20 hrs flat :)
thats about 1400 miles...
Well my first real bike is a KX100, I race and have a lot of fun, We will be soon moving out west to Idaho, cant wait !!
I just spent my whole Christmas vacation in China, I got to train with the Monks for 10 days ( KyuokiDo ) I am currently a 2Nd Dan and love Martial arts,
I look forward to being a part of this thread, so many girls that ride!!
I LOVE IT !!!!
K

Racergirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #2412
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 118
nice boots Shoganai!

Wow, those look great. Boots and pants are my next purchase. I gotta say ouch to some of your injuries.

I get back on when I fall but haven't ever been going when that happened - I have trouble with the stopping part. As long as I keep moving I'm fine!
brazen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #2413
motomacs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Thanks for the great boot review, Shoganai.
They are definately going on my list.
Welcome Racergirl18.
What a great way to spend Christmas vacation!
I also do Martial arts (China 1999) and roadrace a vintage bike.
Lots of competant women riders here!
'01 Duc 748, '05 Duc Multistrada 1000SDS,'06 BMW R1200GS, '12 HD FLSTN
motomacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #2414
Short'n'Spikey
Back in the saddle!

Oddometer: 68
New Girl aleart!

Hi.
I am new to ADV rider and am really enjoying looking through all of your photos and reading your posts. Fab thread.
Short'n'Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #2415
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 29,694
Welcome New Gals
And welcome back RG18 !!WOW China cool...

We have been getting clobbered with snow
But it's good for our water table
My Rides and life on the Farm
Just because the road is rocky doesn't mean your spirits should get rocky, too.{Crazy Cora}
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote