Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #2461
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.matteeanne View Post
I love the ktm duke. I am 5'9" and my feet hit flat on the ground. That definitely helps! It is a fast bike though and very hard to find the gears going down. And I miss neutral 9 times out of 10. My max speed so far is 50. I have an awesome teacher though. There is a local class that I am considering taking that is 16 hours and you can get your license once you pass the class without the dol test. Much better way to go I think?
That is one of the things that bothers me about my bike - I ride a BMW 650GS and at 5'6" i'm on my toes when I stop which is why stopping is usually when I've fallen *sheepish grin*

Neutral gives me issues too. I can always find it while moving it seems and shifting up and then vrrrrrooooooom in place but when I want it, I got jiggle around for it.

I took a class and definitely a good way to go and you're with other learners too, so you can all chuckle together at your goofs.
brazen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #2462
ms.matteeanne
cant find neutral

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
welcome Ms. Matteeanne! You are starting out on a pretty awesome bike! I'm learning to ride in the dirt on a little DR200 and have dropped it a few times already :) Enjoy the KTM! Too bad all of us girls seem to live all over the country and can't meet for girls rides!!
So far it seems that we are all over. There is a local get together in Oregon next weekend and my boyfriend and I are considering going. There are two girls registered I think. Not sure how many other's in the northwest.
ms.matteeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #2463
dyskinetic
Yellow-vested dork

Oddometer: 20
Laugh Hi all!

Found this thread and had to say hi. I'm a woman, and a rider -- I have an '88 Honda NX250, held together by electrical tape and happy thoughts. (Since I'm relatively new, I figure having an old bike means when I drop it and zip-tie back on plastic elements of the bike, folks will hardly notice. Plus, my mechanic thinks I'm broke!)

I've been reading these boards on and off for years, and have enjoyed a lot of the exploits of the women riders here -- it helped me get my courage up to take the MSF class, then do a tour in Vietnam with a guide and a more experienced friend. Now I'm back in the states and can't wait for my next adventure!

...which, for now, is not stalling out on the steep hills by my house, I guess.
dyskinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #2464
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,396
hey gals....if you get the chance and are interested my partner and I are heading out on June 29th on a trip of a lifetime and we even got Triumph to lend us two of their new Tiger 800XC bikes...check out my signature for our love report and BLOG...would love to see more women on the ride thread and feel free to peruse the BLOG....
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #2465
ms.matteeanne
cant find neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyskinetic View Post
Found this thread and had to say hi. I'm a woman, and a rider -- I have an '88 Honda NX250, held together by electrical tape and happy thoughts. (Since I'm relatively new, I figure having an old bike means when I drop it and zip-tie back on plastic elements of the bike, folks will hardly notice. Plus, my mechanic thinks I'm broke!)

I've been reading these boards on and off for years, and have enjoyed a lot of the exploits of the women riders here -- it helped me get my courage up to take the MSF class, then do a tour in Vietnam with a guide and a more experienced friend. Now I'm back in the states and can't wait for my next adventure!

Hi! I need a bike held together with zip ties and electrical tape! I am so worried about dropping the ktm duke I am learning on that I am intimidated by the pavement. Off road it is awesome. I can control the environment around me My boyfriend and I are looking to trade it in for a slower bike and one with after market parts. Welcome back to the US!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #2466
dyskinetic
Yellow-vested dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.matteeanne View Post
Hi! I need a bike held together with zip ties and electrical tape! I am so worried about dropping the ktm duke I am learning on that I am intimidated by the pavement. Off road it is awesome. I can control the environment around me My boyfriend and I are looking to trade it in for a slower bike and one with after market parts. Welcome back to the US!!!
Yeah, let me tell you, I caught a lot of flack from the guys I know for buying such a cheap/light/old bike. But screw them, they're not the ones learning! (I don't know if the XT225 I was originally planning on would have made them laugh more or less than this bike.)

Also causing laughs with the "cool guys" -- I bought a bright yellow airbag vest. Seriously, since I started wearing that obnoxious thing, no one has pulled out in front of me in 300+ miles. Before that, I had people trying to murder me every mile or so around here! That thing is blinding.

Good luck finding a slower bike! :)
Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #2467
brazen13
woot.

Talking Welcome!

Quote:

that's so awesome that you went through Vietnam! do you have pics posted anywhere? would love to see them?

i'm just getting the hills down - i was revving it super hard to get going when stopped at a light or sign but am getting the clutch down better so i can start the bike going without sounding like a maniac... most of the time!!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #2468
brazen13
woot.

oh cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
hey gals....if you get the chance and are interested my partner and I are heading out on June 29th on a trip of a lifetime and we even got Triumph to lend us two of their new Tiger 800XC bikes...check out my signature for our love report and BLOG...would love to see more women on the ride thread and feel free to peruse the BLOG....
one of the guys on the Pachaug Camp n Ride mentioned this this weekend but i wasn't sure i was going to be able to find it - thanks for making it easy on me!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #2469
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen13 View Post
one of the guys on the Pachaug Camp n Ride mentioned this this weekend but i wasn't sure i was going to be able to find it - thanks for making it easy on me!
great hear...only 10 days to go!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #2470
sweetfeed
Boxher

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
that's so awesome that you went through Vietnam! do you have pics posted anywhere? would love to see them?

i'm just getting the hills down - i was revving it super hard to get going when stopped at a light or sign but am getting the clutch down better so i can start the bike going without sounding like a maniac... most of the time!!
I find that if I hold the bike on the hill with my rear brake, I have a little better gas/clutch control to get started. Forgive me if I'm tellling you something you're already doing!
sweetfeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 AM   #2471
brazen13
woot.

Thumb actually,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfeed View Post
I find that if I hold the bike on the hill with my rear brake, I have a little better gas/clutch control to get started. Forgive me if I'm tellling you something you're already doing!
no - i never thought of that, actually, but it makes sense since your right hand is now more free to work the throttle. i shall give it a shot next time i'm out on a hill. thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #2472
ms.matteeanne
cant find neutral

Quote:
no - i never thought of that, actually, but it makes sense since your right hand is now more free to work the throttle. i shall give it a shot next time i'm out on a hill. thanks!
Wow. Great idea!! I am going to try it too
Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #2473
dyskinetic
Yellow-vested dork

Quote:
I'll put up some pics soon, hopefully! I may write a little ride report, even though it kind of seems like "cheating" since I hired a guide. It was crazy and fun, though -- we had a guide I knew in Vietnam (I lived there a couple months before the road trip) and he rode first, then me, then my (male) friend. My friend said once we got out of Hanoi people's necks were about to snap off double-taking when they would see a woman riding around on a 225cc motorcycle (huge for Vietnam, they ride 110cc scooters mostly). Women would come up and clap me on the arm to congratulate me when I managed to navigate the "huge" bike into hotel lobbies.

Being 5'6" made me taller than all of the women and most all of the men, especially once we left the city. This led to some pretty funny situations. I knew enough Vietnamese by then to catch some of the things people would say to me, like: "You ride such a big bike because you have big arms, like a man!" Ha! And... hey!

I really recommend it. Well, the accommodations were... basic at times. Very, very basic. But I learned so much during that week because I had no option -- there was no going back or chickening out! But then again, I got to see awesome stuff like this:

And everyone wanted to wave hi to us!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #2474
ms.matteeanne
cant find neutral

Quote:
I'll put up some pics soon, hopefully! I may write a little ride report, even though it kind of seems like "cheating" since I hired a guide. It was crazy and fun, though -- we had a guide I knew in Vietnam (I lived there a couple months before the road trip) and he rode first, then me, then my (male) friend. My friend said once we got out of Hanoi people's necks were about to snap off double-taking when they would see a woman riding around on a 225cc motorcycle (huge for Vietnam, they ride 110cc scooters mostly). Women would come up and clap me on the arm to congratulate me when I managed to navigate the "huge" bike into hotel lobbies.

Being 5'6" made me taller than all of the women and most all of the men, especially once we left the city. This led to some pretty funny situations. I knew enough Vietnamese by then to catch some of the things people would say to me, like: "You ride such a big bike because you have big arms, like a man!" Ha! And... hey!

I really recommend it. Well, the accommodations were... basic at times. Very, very basic. But I learned so much during that week because I had no option -- there was no going back or chickening out! But then again, I got to see awesome stuff like this:

And everyone wanted to wave hi to us!

Wow..beautiful countryside. I am 5'9", I would be a shock..lol.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #2475
DeathWish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Question Training wheels

I don't know if I am qualified to post here or not. I don't have a bike yet, nor have I driven one. I am signed up for a motorcycle safety class this weekend. My boyfriend introduced me into TAT idea. I use to MTN Bike all the time on rough terrain, so it appealed to me. Plus I like the idea of avoiding cars and trucks while seeing nature.

I really like the KTM 990 or f 800 gs. I was originally planning on getting sherpa to learn how to ride. But I was involved in a bad accident this past weekend that totaled my car. I won't be able to purchase a decent car and a sherpa thanx to my current financial situation... however I could potentially purchase f 650 gs with the insurance money. I don't know if that would be the smart thing to do, considering I don't know how to ride yet and it would become my main mode of transportation.

side note: I have been dreaming of riding through Viet Nam on my own. I spent 6 weeks there in the summer of 2004 (mainly in the Jungle). Would love to go back!
DeathWish is offline   Reply With Quote