User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #2626
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 478
You have me completely cracking up!!!

But yes ... +1 on suggesting a women's sub forum! I feel like I am going between the threads and getting confused which one things are posted on.
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #2627
WitchdoctorA
Gnawing on bones

Oddometer: 15
Thumb

+2 on the Women's subforum I am going to be posting my initial trip route and ideas in the Trip Planning subforum so that I can get some more ideas but I will be sure to post the link here too.

Thanks for the thoughts on safety, I plan on being extra careful. I find that my intuition usually serves me well when it comes to things like where to park etc. but I will be taking extra precautions too.

It is currently pretty icy over here so I won't be going out and firing up the Pegaso for at least a few days, but the good news is that I have an offer of a riding buddy I just know that most of my problem is the fear thing and getting out of my head and on the road as much as possible.

The reality is the I've taken the riding course twice (with 4 years in between) and both times passed with flying colors. I've ridden in rain with an oil leak in front of my back tire, and I've ridden on the freeway (motorway) in pretty intense wind. All with only dropping the bike while riding once, and that was on a loose gravel driveway. I know I can be good rider one of these days I just haven't convinced myself that I know what I am doing right now. Maybe I am just being too much of a perfectionist?

I don't know, maybe that's why I have decided to do this trip... get on the road and hopefully by the end of 6 weeks I will feel comfortable on a bike. This stunted love affair with riding has been going on for 7 years now and I am ready to start feeling the love, instead of frustrated.
WitchdoctorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #2628
WitchdoctorA
Gnawing on bones

Hey you gals,

I have put up a post seeking advice for my upcoming trip this summer in the 'Trip Planning' forum.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764492

I would love to get any feedback or advice on any points mentioned!

A
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #2629
LooksGoodInRed
aka TrilobiteMX

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchdoctorA View Post
+2 on the Women's subforum I am going to be posting my initial trip route and ideas in the Trip Planning subforum so that I can get some more ideas but I will be sure to post the link here too.

Thanks for the thoughts on safety, I plan on being extra careful. I find that my intuition usually serves me well when it comes to things like where to park etc. but I will be taking extra precautions too.

It is currently pretty icy over here so I won't be going out and firing up the Pegaso for at least a few days, but the good news is that I have an offer of a riding buddy I just know that most of my problem is the fear thing and getting out of my head and on the road as much as possible.

The reality is the I've taken the riding course twice (with 4 years in between) and both times passed with flying colors. I've ridden in rain with an oil leak in front of my back tire, and I've ridden on the freeway (motorway) in pretty intense wind. All with only dropping the bike while riding once, and that was on a loose gravel driveway. I know I can be good rider one of these days I just haven't convinced myself that I know what I am doing right now. Maybe I am just being too much of a perfectionist?

I don't know, maybe that's why I have decided to do this trip... get on the road and hopefully by the end of 6 weeks I will feel comfortable on a bike. This stunted love affair with riding has been going on for 7 years now and I am ready to start feeling the love, instead of frustrated.
I'm absolutely with you girl! You'll do GREAT! I am n00b myself and I'm starting to ride now and my biggest problem is to get this damn fear out of my head and start to feel comfortable on the bike...but I'm getting there!

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart
LooksGoodInRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #2630
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksGoodInRed View Post
I'm absolutely with you girl! You'll do GREAT! I am n00b myself and I'm starting to ride now and my biggest problem is to get this damn fear out of my head and start to feel comfortable on the bike...but I'm getting there!
It's always comforting to know I wasn't the only one who had to get over fear when I started riding. I still carry a healthy amount of fear which keeps me cautious especially on roads with cars (versus in the woods) and I have been riding for 7 years now.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #2631
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
It's always comforting to know I wasn't the only one who had to get over fear when I started riding. I still carry a healthy amount of fear which keeps me cautious especially on roads with cars (versus in the woods) and I have been riding for 7 years now.
I hear you on that! The worst stretch is the 6 miles trying to get out of town! Once the road opens up, I tend to feel a whole lot better.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #2632
bikergirl4ever
girlie girl

Oddometer: 171
MN dual sport ride

Check out this thread. We would love to have more woman (than just me) show up for this ride.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770843
bikergirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #2633
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
I hear you on that! The worst stretch is the 6 miles trying to get out of town! Once the road opens up, I tend to feel a whole lot better.
I second that! Living in NY you have to go through Manhattan to get anywhere to ride. Cab drivers are evil when you're on a bike lol!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #2634
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Okay so I just checked out Opaque's TwoWheeled Females link and OMG "First Month in the Life of a New Rider"
that is sooo me!

Ackkk .. Why and how the heck am I expecting to go solo for 6 weeks around the west coast???!!! I am still nervous as heck on the bike and not yet to the point of relaxing and having fun

The enormousness of what I am planning is just starting to sink in

.. help...
You are expecting to do it because you can do it.

Heck, I rode from Alaska, over to the Yukon, up past the Arctic Circle on the Dempster in the rain, and all the way south to Mexico after only having ridden about 1500 miles on a bike. Sure I had a travel partner but when on a bike it is all about you. It is a solo thing even if there are others on bikes with you. I was scared to death but I did it and I have never looked back.

How I learned - I took my safety class and then basically taught myself to ride - it took me about 5 months to log my first 1500 miles. Took me two months of parking lot work before I ever even went out on the road alone.... Another few months of little roads and going in circles because I was afraid to make a left turn across traffic... Then I worked in a bit of dirt and before I knew it I was headed to the far north. I figured it would be as good a way as any to learn and get over my fears!! It worked too!!!

Just pay attention, look ahead, always be watching for hazards, and HAVE FUN.

Welcome to a hobby/life style that will open your heart and soul more than you ever imagined.

Cathy
Grizgirl
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #2635
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
You are expecting to do it because you can do it.

Heck, I rode from Alaska, over to the Yukon, up past the Arctic Circle on the Dempster in the rain, and all the way south to Mexico after only having ridden about 1500 miles on a bike. Sure I had a travel partner but when on a bike it is all about you. It is a solo thing even if there are others on bikes with you. I was scared to death but I did it and I have never looked back.

How I learned - I took my safety class and then basically taught myself to ride - it took me about 5 months to log my first 1500 miles. Took me two months of parking lot work before I ever even went out on the road alone.... Another few months of little roads and going in circles because I was afraid to make a left turn across traffic... Then I worked in a bit of dirt and before I knew it I was headed to the far north. I figured it would be as good a way as any to learn and get over my fears!! It worked too!!!

Just pay attention, look ahead, always be watching for hazards, and HAVE FUN.

Welcome to a hobby/life style that will open your heart and soul more than you ever imagined.
Cathy
Grizgirl
That sounds like it was such a cool trip and that's a good point - when you're on the bike you're pretty much alone. No one is steering that baby but you!

Turning was the hardest part for me - I just didn't trust the bike would stay up. I would keep telling myself - c'mon, people race and put one knee on the ground, girl, if the bike is moving it will lean into the turn and keep going. But yep - the slow maneuvers in a parking lot really helped.

WitchdoctorA - I think it's great you're doing a solo trip! The first time I went out with my boyfriend, I was awful and I still get nervous but I think it's all worth it!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #2636
WitchdoctorA
Gnawing on bones

Thanks everyone for your tremendous support :) It really helps to know that some other women out there don't think I've lost my mind.

The planning has officially started. I unfortunately had to sell my bike - it wouldn't run despite lots of TLC. I did get over 600 quid for it though! I thought that was pretty good for a non-runner and the money went into an account for my trip. Now I have my hubby's bike to ride and I honestly think I will feel more confident on it, it being reliable and non "quirky"

I am now planning my route in more detail and looking at actual roads I want to ride between point A and point B.
Does anyone know of a program that will save your chosen route? Google Maps and Earth won't. I also am thinking I will need a Sat. Navigation device that will allow me to save the particular route I choose. Are these known as "tracks" in the ADV circle?

Thanks again for the support.. You gals are a lifeline for me.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #2637
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your tremendous support :) It really helps to know that some other women out there don't think I've lost my mind.

The planning has officially started.
so exciting!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #2638
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,462
Quote:

The planning has officially started. I unfortunately had to sell my bike - it wouldn't run despite lots of TLC. I did get over 600 quid for it though! I thought that was pretty good for a non-runner and the money went into an account for my trip. Now I have my hubby's bike to ride and I honestly think I will feel more confident on it, it being reliable and non "quirky"

I am now planning my route in more detail and looking at actual roads I want to ride between point A and point B.
Does anyone know of a program that will save your chosen route? Google Maps and Earth won't. I also am thinking I will need a Sat. Navigation device that will allow me to save the particular route I choose. Are these known as "tracks" in the ADV circle?

I like to use "Streets and Trips"... This way I don't have to be ON LINE ...
When i start plotting a route that can take hours..

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #2639
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Aloha gals!

I'm a noob to this forum, but not exactly a noob riding.
My kids have flown the coop, and I finally find myself able to live my dream :)
At the moment I am prepping my "Year around the US" tour, buying all the "necessities" and toys.
I have a KLR650 and am getting her road ready. Building my own panniers seeing as the ones I like are about $800 and that's just a tad too much for me LOL.
Bought a GPS just in case but not sure if it will actually help other than well me which way is North, which my compass will also do. Bought a great tent (Eureka Mountainpass 2XTE) with 2 vestibules for my junk, and a very warm sleeping bag.
Bought a couple of older free campsites books and hope to be able not to waste money on theses ridiculously expensive campsites. Paying 8 bucks once in a while is fine, but $22 for a night? Might as well get a Motel.
Buzzed my head for travel convenience, and bought male riding gear so I wouldn't attract unwanted attention. May sound silly, but I am more worried about men than bears. LOL
I am excited to hit the road in June, will post pics and such.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #2640
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
Quote:

Well I'm not a gal but a quick answer to your questions, yes there are sat devices that will save your route, and yes they could be tracks or routes. Ask more questions here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote