Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #2656
SixOneGiraffe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Writer View Post
What does everyone ride? KTM 990 Adventure
How do you like it? Love it!
What do you like best about it? It has huge pep, it's fun, and rides like a dream on the road & dirt/stone
What do you like least about it?She doesn't like to go slow, and with me just learning and being a complete n00b, that was an issue, but not too much anymore

Personally, I ride a Yamaha XT225. Love the low seat height and the light weight, starting to dislike the cold blooded nature and gutless motor.
I would also add that I am a brand new rider, just having received my license under one month ago after taking my first MSF course. I am taking baby steps but wanna ride like the big boys and girls (and be able to keep up with my DH most of all!)!!!

So, Gypsy, what'r you gonna do about that "cold blooded nature and gutless motor" on your XT225? Sounds like you might be inkling for a change.....
SixOneGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #2657
Gypsy_Writer
It's all good!

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOneGiraffe View Post
I would also add that I am a brand new rider, just having received my license under one month ago after taking my first MSF course. I am taking baby steps but wanna ride like the big boys and girls (and be able to keep up with my DH most of all!)!!!

So, Gypsy, what'r you gonna do about that "cold blooded nature and gutless motor" on your XT225? Sounds like you might be inkling for a change.....
A bit. I took her out camping in the FS near my house and she handled fine off-road, but couldn't come close to being comfortable on the street. And, coming from a street-riding background, that is a HUGE issue for me. SO, I'm thinking I'm going to build up my skills and comfort off-road with the XT then look at a larger adv-tour bike for next year. Looking at the 650 class, but need to find something that will fit my 5'3" frame AND keep up with the hubby's F800GS.
Gypsy_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #2658
SixOneGiraffe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
A bit. I took her out camping in the FS near my house and she handled fine off-road, but couldn't come close to being comfortable on the street. And, coming from a street-riding background, that is a HUGE issue for me. SO, I'm thinking I'm going to build up my skills and comfort off-road with the XT then look at a larger adv-tour bike for next year. Looking at the 650 class, but need to find something that will fit my 5'3" frame AND keep up with the hubby's F800GS.

Sounds like a great plan to build the off-road skills since you've already got thestreet smarts. It'll sure be fun for you to try a couple different 650's on for size!!

How long have you been riding, and what was your street bike of choice?
SixOneGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #2659
queenpdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Just Curious.....

Hello my Adv riding sisters. I have a couple of questions that I thought someone here might be able to answer.

I am now 17 days out from a total laporoscopic hysterectomy. It was a 5 hour surgery, so recovery from the anesthesia alone has taken some time. I am a very active person, and have been doing what I can to stay in shape and be active....lots and lots of walking.

My questions:
1) have any of you had the same or similar procedure?
2) how long did you stay off the bike?

I feel comfortable driving the cage at this point, and know it will take some time to be able to ride again. But, my doc is not a rider and does not understand how it feels to be told that it could be a few months before she'd clear me to ride. Understand, I am not saying I will disregard her advice, just that I think she is being conservative due to how she perceives motorcycle riding. I'm not talking about all day rides or off-road trails, etc. I talking about commuting to work (once I go back) and an afternoon jaunt here and there to keep me sane.

Thanks for any input y'all might have.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #2660
Gypsy_Writer
It's all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOneGiraffe View Post
Sounds like a great plan to build the off-road skills since you've already got thestreet smarts. It'll sure be fun for you to try a couple different 650's on for size!!

How long have you been riding, and what was your street bike of choice?
I've been riding about 10 years now. My hands down favorite was my '02 Suzuki SV650. The standard version with the tube frame was absolutely beautiful in blue. It was a short bike to begin with and small over-all with gobs of power. It was a perfect bike for me, but most taller riders (my 6'4" husband for example) disliked the smallness. Plenty of power and great breaks, but small frame for most average to tall riders.

As irony would have it, I found an ad for an F650GS in my area that I am taking a look at tomorrow. Crazy how you send a need out into the universe and it is met in the most unexpected ways.

Glad you are enjoying the bike! It does seem large to learn on, but really once you are rolling the weight and height isn't much of an issue. Unless you are in some squishy gravel, dirt, mud, sand, etc. the size shouldn't be much of an inconvenience. I wouldn't want to try it with my short legs though! LOL
Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #2661
Gypsy_Writer
It's all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
Hello my Adv riding sisters. I have a couple of questions that I thought someone here might be able to answer.

I am now 17 days out from a total laporoscopic hysterectomy. It was a 5 hour surgery, so recovery from the anesthesia alone has taken some time. I am a very active person, and have been doing what I can to stay in shape and be active....lots and lots of walking.

My questions:

I feel comfortable driving the cage at this point, and know it will take some time to be able to ride again. But, my doc is not a rider and does not understand how it feels to be told that it could be a few months before she'd clear me to ride. Understand, I am not saying I will disregard her advice, just that I think she is being conservative due to how she perceives motorcycle riding. I'm not talking about all day rides or off-road trails, etc. I talking about commuting to work (once I go back) and an afternoon jaunt here and there to keep me sane.

A member of my family went through that procedure and, while there was snow on the ground still, she didn't ride for about a month and a half. If it hadn't have been so cold, she said she would have about a month afterward. It took her a little longer to recover with how much stress she put herself under, but if you are mellow and take it easy, I figure a month is realistic. However, I don't have the personal experience to draw from. I hope this helps a little!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #2662
queenpdog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
A member of my family went through that procedure and, while there was snow on the ground still, she didn't ride for about a month and a half. If it hadn't have been so cold, she said she would have about a month afterward. It took her a little longer to recover with how much stress she put herself under, but if you are mellow and take it easy, I figure a month is realistic. However, I don't have the personal experience to draw from. I hope this helps a little!
Thank you, my friend. That is helpful. Anyone else have experience with this sort of thing?

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #2663
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Thank you, my friend. That is helpful. Anyone else have experience with this sort of thing?
I started to post your question on another board of women riders, but decided I'd ask first. You may want to try the board in my tag line. Plenty of ladies there for you to ask.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #2664
queenpdog
Beastly Adventurer

I'll poke around there a bit and see if I feel comfortable posting. Not familiar with the forum at this point.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
Old 05-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #2665
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
What does everyone ride?
How do you like it?
What do you like best about it?
What do you like least about it?

Personally, I ride a Yamaha XT225. Love the low seat height and the light weight, starting to dislike the cold blooded nature and gutless motor.
I got my motorcycle license back in 2000, but I just bought a 2011 Triumph America a year ago. I absolutely love it. It is beautiful and has lots of power. The height of the bike is perfect and my feet fit flat on the ground. It purrs when I ride, and I am thrilled with the 5 gallon tank. The only thing I wish it had is a tachometer. Otherwise I see myself having this bike for a very long time. I started out wanting a Thruxton, but the high insurance cost and the foot peg position made me rethink that thought for a first bike. I do love the Triumphs!

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #2666
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 11,185
Quote:

My questions:

I had it done the "traditional" way... the biggest problem was the lack of muscles in the stomach. Everything else was fine within a few weeks. I'd say give it 6 weeks (but I am not doctor).
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #2667
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 11,185
Quote:
What does everyone ride? DR650 and a 80' Moto Morini
How do you like it? I would have something else it I would not like it...
What do you like best about it?
DR: it's bulletproof (I can throw it down the trail w/o hurting it to much

Morini: old school, simple
What do you like least about it?
DR: to heavy for tight trails
Morini: lack of parts
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #2668
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 29,898
Quote:
What does everyone ride? 98 Valkyrie w/csc halfbreed ~99 Valkyrie w/csc I/S...Both are triked out
How do you like it? Love them both I do like the 99 a little better had it longer
What do you like best about it?The power.Hauling capability ..
What do you like least about it?Not a dang thing..Well parts are starting to get hard to find .. Go figure
They aren't all that old .. Oh well..
My Rides and life on the Farm
Just because the road is rocky doesn't mean your spirits should get rocky, too.{Crazy Cora}
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #2669
LooksGoodInRed
aka TrilobiteMX

Oddometer: 131
Laugh

[QUOTE=SixOneGiraffe;18706565]I would also add that I am a brand new rider, just having received my license under one month ago after taking my first MSF course. I am taking baby steps but wanna ride like the big boys and girls (and be able to keep up with my DH most of all!)!!!

First of all - WELCOME SixOneGiraffe!!!

I'm not sure if I understood correctly that you are kind of looking for some tips re: dirt bike for n00b - but if yes, then I would highly recommend a Honda CRF230L - IT'S GREAT ON DIRT! better than XT225 - I've tried bigger bike as total n00b and it was really hard! This one is just perfect!
As for dual sport bike I would highly recommend the BMW F650GS (tamper) its a great n00by bike very forgiving and also cool looking

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

LooksGoodInRed screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 12:56 PM
LooksGoodInRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #2670
DirtyOlLady
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
[QUOTE=LooksGoodInRed;18791903][QUOTE=SixOneGiraffe;18706565]I would also add that I am a brand new rider, just having received my license under one month ago after taking my first MSF course. I am taking baby steps but wanna ride like the big boys and girls (and be able to keep up with my DH most of all!)!!!

First of all - WELCOME SixOneGiraffe!!!

I'm not sure if I understood correctly that you are kind of looking for some tips re: dirt bike for n00b - but if yes, then I would highly recommend a Honda CRF230L - IT'S GREAT ON DIRT! better than XT225 - I've tried bigger bike as total n00b and it was really hard! This one is just perfect!
As for dual sport bike I would highly recommend the BMW F650GS (tamper) its a great n00by bike very forgiving and also cool looking [/QUOTE

I have a 99 bmw 650f good bike, handles very well. I think its a little heavy for off road, don't feel comfy yet. Off road i ride a yahmaha xt 250, much better ride vs the 225. Love that bike. Hubby likes it too. Sometimes wish I had more power on the road with the bmw but don't know if my skill is ready for a bigger bike.
DirtyOlLady is offline   Reply With Quote