Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #2731
My Alter ego
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
What I don't like - not much. It's a bit of a vibrator
Ok I have to admit this is one of the things I like most about the bike. Bit unsafe I know, but on a long straight boring ride I can make it delightful by pressing myself up against the 'tank' and 'thinking of England'.... ORGASMIC!

Just thought I'd put it out there- in case your missing the one of the joys of the Beemer
My Alter ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #2732
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Alter ego View Post
Ok I have to admit this is one of the things I like most about the bike. Bit unsafe I know, but on a long straight boring ride I can make it delightful by pressing myself up against the 'tank' and 'thinking of England'.... ORGASMIC!

Just thought I'd put it out there- in case your missing the one of the joys of the Beemer

great first post!

but yes, the joys of a thumper
Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #2733
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Hamster View Post
Question - I've heard some European countries employ a strict licensing program for motorcycles/cars. Under a certain cc (you mentioned you passed your big bike exam), or you are required to have scooter, then motorcycle, then car training? Personally, I think it's a brilliant idea (if it is in fact the case) that you should have to go through some sort of scooter/motorcycle training before getting trained and licensed for a car. Might cut down on the number of car-motorcycle collisions if there were more awareness. Dunno.
You are never "required" to have a scooter to get a motorcycle license anywhere in the EU that I'm aware of. I'm most familiar with UK licensing from friends but generally it is a graduated license. You take a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course similar to MSF course in the US but longer. If yuo have a car license you can then ride upt to a 125cc scooter or bike. If you do not then you need an A1 - light motorcycle license which is also limited to 125 cc with power output up to 11 kW. You must also pass both a theory and practial exam on a bike. If your test vehicle is between 120 and 125 cc and capable of more than 100 km/h you will be given a standard A motorcycle license but will be restricted to motorcycles of up to 25 kW for two years (roughly 250cc) before you will be able to ride anything larger. If you are over 21 you can go the direct access route and take the full week long motorcycle course. Then assuming you pass both the theory and practical portion you go directly to an unrestricted license. The UK, and I'm not sure about the other countries are sort of funny about vehicle licenses from a US persepctive. If you take your test riding or driving an automatic you are limited to riding/driving automatic motorcycles/cars.

The direct access course costs between $1,500 and $2,500 depending on country and currency conversion rates. Even the CBT can cost between $500 and $1,000 for the A license. Which is why most people go the graduated license route.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #2734
Disco Hamster
made of pudding

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
You are never "required" to have a scooter to get a motorcycle license anywhere in the EU that I'm aware of. I'm most familiar with UK licensing from friends but generally it is a graduated license. You take a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course similar to MSF course in the US but longer. If yuo have a car license you can then ride upt to a 125cc scooter or bike. If you do not then you need an A1 - light motorcycle license which is also limited to 125 cc with power output up to 11 kW. You must also pass both a theory and practial exam on a bike. If your test vehicle is between 120 and 125 cc and capable of more than 100 km/h you will be given a standard A motorcycle license but will be restricted to motorcycles of up to 25 kW for two years (roughly 250cc) before you will be able to ride anything larger. If you are over 21 you can go the direct access route and take the full week long motorcycle course. Then assuming you pass both the theory and practical portion you go directly to an unrestricted license. The UK, and I'm not sure about the other countries are sort of funny about vehicle licenses from a US persepctive. If you take your test riding or driving an automatic you are limited to riding/driving automatic motorcycles/cars.

The direct access course costs between $1,500 and $2,500 depending on country and currency conversion rates. Even the CBT can cost between $500 and $1,000 for the A license. Which is why most people go the graduated license route.
Thanks for the info! I couldn't remember what the program was for car and motorcycle licensing over there - just recall my husband saying something about the graduated licensing. I think newer riders might benefit from training on lower cc bikes that make less power for a bit instead of starting off on something they can't handle. Can't tell you how many guys I knew that had never been on a bike but swore they were going to get themselves a hayabusa as soon as they got their lic . Oh well.
Disco Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #2735
Disco Hamster
made of pudding

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Alter ego View Post

That. Is. Awesome.
Disco Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #2736
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Hamster View Post
Thanks for the info! I couldn't remember what the program was for car and motorcycle licensing over there - just recall my husband saying something about the graduated licensing. I think newer riders might benefit from training on lower cc bikes that make less power for a bit instead of starting off on something they can't handle. Can't tell you how many guys I knew that had never been on a bike but swore they were going to get themselves a hayabusa as soon as they got their lic . Oh well.
I have a friend who works at a local Harley dealership. Normally she sells used bikes but a guy came in and bought a new big Harley, fully chromed out. set him back $40,000. He dropped it before leaving the dealership. Turns out that he had just completed his MSF course and never riddent anything except the little Honda Rebels they used in class. What an idiot.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #2737
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
I have a friend who works at a local Harley dealership. Normally she sells used bikes but a guy came in and bought a new big Harley, fully chromed out. set him back $40,000. He dropped it before leaving the dealership. Turns out that he had just completed his MSF course and never riddent anything except the little Honda Rebels they used in class. What an idiot.
Apparently this thinking isn't limited to a guy's own bike! The bike I ride now, a BMW 650, is my first bike and my boyfriend bought it for me because he wanted me to ride with him, which was very nice of him but I can tell you it isn't one I would have picked out for my first bike as it was a big difference from the 250s in the MSF course. Thankfully, it was used because, well, I dropped it the first day out. and the second. and the third...

He really thought I was going to come out of the course a great rider and he pretty much said that. I just shook my head at him. I almost quit all together after our first trip. It's been close to two years and I'm just starting to be a good rider.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #2738
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Well not every guy thinks like that. Whem my sister in law took her MSF course my brother bought her a used Honda Rebel 250. Something low enough she could easily flat foot unlike his KLR or BMWs or Honda dirt bike. She however decided that the back of the BMW 1200ST. Last year he picked up a BMW 1200GS which has become his primary bike when she isn't with him. They are all too tall for me to get on though I supposed I could do like the gal I saw when I stopped for gas near the Rocky Mountain National Forest. She put her BMW up on the center stand, climbed on the used the button to retract the stand but it seems like a bike you can get on and off without have to have an automatic center stand is a smarter option.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #2739
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Well not every guy thinks like that. Whem my sister in law took her MSF course my brother bought her a used Honda Rebel 250. Something low enough she could easily flat foot unlike his KLR or BMWs or Honda dirt bike. She however decided that the back of the BMW 1200ST. Last year he picked up a BMW 1200GS which has become his primary bike when she isn't with him. They are all too tall for me to get on though I supposed I could do like the gal I saw when I stopped for gas near the Rocky Mountain National Forest. She put her BMW up on the center stand, climbed on the used the button to retract the stand but it seems like a bike you can get on and off without have to have an automatic center stand is a smarter option.
No, I don't think they are either. I just think my boyfriend was excited that I wanted to ride and ride with him and this used bike came up for sale and he just wanted to get me something so it could happen. He now wants to get me a smaller bike. I tease him about it because I can!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #2740
KathiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
New(old) rider

Hi! I'm new to the site and a re-rider. I sold my SV650 after it sat in my basement for over four years unridden. The next day I bought an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 scooter as it seemed more appropriate for a liitle older lady. I'm really getting to like it but I always wanted a bike to take on dirt roads. I picked up a used TW200 this past weekend. This thing is a riot! I took it out on the road the other night and its rides so different than anything else I've ever ridden on. Handles like a Mack Truck compared to my Beo 500. I can't wait to find some gravel and dirt surfaces to try it on.
KathiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #2741
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiK View Post
Hi! I'm new to the site and a re-rider. I sold my SV650 after it sat in my basement for over four years unridden. The next day I bought an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 scooter as it seemed more appropriate for a liitle older lady. I'm really getting to like it but I always wanted a bike to take on dirt roads. I picked up a used TW200 this past weekend. This thing is a riot! I took it out on the road the other night and its rides so different than anything else I've ever ridden on. Handles like a Mack Truck compared to my Beo 500. I can't wait to find some gravel and dirt surfaces to try it on.
Hey and Welcome! I'm loving dirt and gravel (I'm a re-rider too, and older!) - and love to see more gals out there on the trails!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #2742
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
I've done 3,800 miles in the last 2 weeks with another 450 miles to go before I arrive home. 5 days were spent at Amerivespa where 40% of the riders were women. Though the majority were riding 200cc or less. I've been seeing more BMWs than normal o this trip (told there was a big BMW event in Keystone about the time I left Breckenridge) and the one thing I noticed was that there are more women riding their own and far fewer riding on the back than the cruisers I normally see. My first gas stop had 3 BMW, 2 ridden by males and one by a female, 1 rental Harley Glide with a couple from Amsterdam riding it.

I spent today riding through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons where I saw much larger than normal number of women riding their own bikes both cruisers and various BMW. Sports bike were as best I could tell all male. Though I think there were still more women riding on the back than their own bikes. I did see a few dads with daughters and two guys on one bike.

That's great that you are out there doing such distances on your own bike! I did my first "long" ride on my own bike over Memorial Day weekend. I rode 1343 miles over those 4 days from Central Texas to Oklahoma and Arkansas. (Up until that point, I had put only 3200 miles on my bike in the last year.) Of the 11 bikes and 13 people who went on the trip, I was the only women riding her own and I also had the smallest bike---a Triumph America 850.

I will keep riding and am always looking for other women in my area to ride with. My oldest son rides and he and I often ride together.

Maybe we will cross paths across Texas some day!

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #2743
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You may not find the Scarabeo all that great on gravel. I love mine, it is the favorite of all the two wheels we've owned (well the Vespa GTS is a hoot in town being even more manueverable than the Beo while still being freeway capable.) I did 3,400 miles on my Beo this spring after breaking it on the Twisted Sisters in Texas the day after I picked it up. I hope you have as much fun with it as I do.

jquerin77, where in Texas are you located? I sometimes ride with the Women in the Wind chapter in Houston. http://www.meetup.com/Houston-Women-in-the-Wind/
Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #2744
KathiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I chose the Beo 500 for my regular ride as I live out in the country and I needed something that keeps up with the traffic on highways and regular two lane roads. I have ridden it on some of the local interstates and it seems to keep up fine with traffic running at 70/75 mph. I looked at the larger Vespa but didn't like the smaller tires for this kind of riding. So far I love the Beo500! I bought the TW200 for riding in dirt and gravel. My first ride on it was kinda scary!
Second ride went much better. I found a few gravel roads to try it out on and took my time. It was loads of fun!
The poor Beo has been ignored this past week since getting the new toy. I guess I better take it for a ride this weekend. Not to many women riders in my local area that I've noticed.
KathiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #2745
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I chose the Beo 500 for my regular ride as I live out in the country and I needed something that keeps up with the traffic on highways and regular two lane roads. I have ridden it on some of the local interstates and it seems to keep up fine with traffic running at 70/75 mph. I looked at the larger Vespa but didn't like the smaller tires for this kind of riding. So far I love the Beo500! I bought the TW200 for riding in dirt and gravel. My first ride on it was kinda scary!
Second ride went much better. I found a few gravel roads to try it out on and took my time. It was loads of fun!
The poor Beo has been ignored this past week since getting the new toy. I guess I better take it for a ride this weekend. Not to many women riders in my local area that I've noticed.
The Beo will be good for highway, still easy in the city. In Houston I use the Vespa GTS for in-town primarily. It is so recognizable I can get away parking it places that a motorcycle will get a ticket. Still freeway capable but the bigger wheels on the Beo make it better for longer distance travel. Gravel roads are generally okay but it isn't a dirt bike in any form. I recently did 20 miles on a gravel road with no issues other than the so called country road needed grading so it was a bit rough. I've hit 96 by GPS on the Beo so keeping up wtih traffic isn't a problem.Its fun when you pass people on big bikes with a "scooter", aka step through frame motorcycle.

I've considered getting a little dirt bike for up in Colorado, something my kids could ride as well but we don't have much storage in the moutnains.I also keep looking at the Mana but I'm not sure my bad hip could handle the swing over on a bad day. Guess that's what I get for skiing too many double blacks when I was in my 20s & 30s.