Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #2761
KathiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
When I shop for clothing and I'm not sure about size I go to the local Cycle Gear store that's about an hour's drive from my house. The sales people seem to be very receptive to my needs. They do carry some inventory of clothing and accessories for women. They also offer to order my size if it's available but not in stock.I've had some poor experiences with local Suzuki and Yamaha dealerships when looking at bikes. Even though I ride in on a bike and am dressed in leather from top to bottom I still get totally ignored! Those places lost any possible sale I might make in the future. I also purchase alot on line simply because prices are competitive.
KathiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #2762
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,196
I know just how ya feel.... When I walk in to a new shop one that doesn't know me, I can never get someone to wait on me... But that goes for Home Depot and Lowe's as well.... Some places still have their HUTA.. And don't realise that Ladies/women/sheilas/gals ... We can do stuff .. We are not damsels in distress We can ride/use big boy tools.... I do 98% of my own work on our bikes... Yes I said our bikes .. I also help my mate work on his... They are 11 - 15 yr old bikes ... We are down to 5 ... Mate has 3 ...
I have 2 ..... They are all Valkyrie's ...

I have 2 shops that I have dealt with for 20 yrs.... I get Carte Blanche treatment.. I can call or stop in .. And they know what I want .. And if they don't have they get ASAP... I/We have spent a lot of $$$$ with both places over the years ...

Cool on the Hack...Sorry you'll have to sell one of the GS...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #2763
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
I have had good luck with the Cycle Gear in my town. From the time they opened they have always been very welcoming and helful when I have gone in. They are more than happy to order anything they don't have in stock and they seem to get thing quicker than the other shops in town.

A few weeks ago I went in to get some mesh pants and I asked about some I saw on sale on their website. The gal explained they didn't have them in stock and often there are things on the website they don't have in the store. She suggested if I see something I want I should go ahead and order it and if I'm sure of the size to order a couple sizes and then return which ever size that doesn't work or all of them, to the store.

With the Cycle Gear being close to my house that will work for me if I choose to go that route. It sure beats shipping back the items that don't fit. It's not a perfect solution since you have to buy the items upfront then return for a refund but since so few places carry things that even come close to fitting me it's not bad either.

I did find mesh pants that fit me in stock however they were their inexpensive BILT brand and they really aren't made as well as the upper end clothes but it also doesn't come with the price. I needed the pants for a ride I was leaving on and didn't have time to order. When it came down to it they fit me better than other pants I have and were comfortable so I was happy with them. I wore them for a long weekend ride and one outer seam started to unravel. I think the stitching was too close to the edge in that place. I returned them to the store and there was no question about replacing them. The only problem was they didn't have my size in stock any longer. I asked the gal if it would be possible to have them in time for the weekend so she had them shipped overnight.

There is another shop in town I go to often especially when I need tires or work done to my motorcycle. I have been going to this shop since the 70s and watched it grow and change over the years. The owner has even changed but I have always been treated well there and take care of. There are other shops in town where when I walk in I'm pretty much ignored but I don't think it's because I'm a woman I think it's just crappy customer service in general.

It sems customer service is getting to be less and less no matter where you go. Treating customers like they are wanted in stores seems like a long past skill. This isn't just in motorcycles stores or other places that have a customer base made up mostly of men this is every where. There have been many times I have been in a grocery store, clothing store or other store and wondered if I were invisible as the clerks continue their personal conversations or even just walk off. The best is when you are talking to the clerk and they answer the phone mid conversation. You are there in front of them but they choose to answer the phone rather than take care of you.

For whatever it's worth things are a lot better than they were in the '70s or 80s or even 90s. People accept women riding motorcycles much more than they did back then even if it still isn't perfect. When you go into a motorcycle store, smile say hi to the people working there and make then want to talk with you.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #2764
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
I've had good experiences and bad experiences. In Houston the BMW (Pasadena), Aprilia, Piaggio/Vespa, Cycle Gear and Pasadena Motorsports are welcoming. Stubbs Harley and their Suzuki dealerships have a largish selection of women's gear and they sponsor the Women in the Wind riding club. Mancuso, the largest Harley dealership also has at least one woman sales person that I used ot ride with. The majority of the women riders I see in Texas seem to ride Harleys so maybe that's why the Harley dealers tend to be a bit more supportive. Harley also makes full lines of women's clothing though much of it is for the passenger but at least they carry the widest selection of women's gear of any of the dealers. All of which will order in if you know what you want or need a different size. The other Suzuki, the Honda and Yamaha dealers havve very little other than a few jackets by way of women's gear. They also tend to ignore you,

I tend to buy most of my riding gear online because the selection is poor and unisex really just means "men" with a nod to women. The Aprilia dealer tells me next time they have a Mana available for test rides they'll give me a call since I look at it every time I go in the shop. :) Their predecessor was one of those that if you went in the only thing they wanted to show women were Fly 50-150cc scooter which by their expression was clearly something they thought only suitable for teenagers on a restricted license or women. Needless to say I never bought anything from them and funny enough they went bankrupt.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #2765
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 443
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Rosie, have you considered adding elephant ears to your motorcycle? They make a world of difference since they break the wind hitting your hands. Here's a link with rating for a few brands: http://dualsportalchemy.com/2012/03/...-ear-shootout/ There may be others out there if you search.

Myself I don't like winter weight gloves because they reduce control for me. Some people don't have issues with the added bulk of winter gloves.

Good luck finding the perfect solution for your cold hands.
Just for you... the Lelephant ear prototypes

A couple of quick rides in the rain suggest they are helping to keep me dry and warm. I've got a long midwinter ride on this weekend, so I'll be able to test them out properly then.

I took lots of photos while making them, so if they work, I'll do a proper write up on my WR build thread.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #2766
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Rosie, those are cool. When you do the write up in the WR thread please drop a to it here so we don't miss it.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #2767
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

+2 they look GREAT !!!!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #2768
SummerVacay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Joining the Group

I'm a new woman rider in the Twin Cities, MN area riding an '06 BMW f650gs! Just checking in and getting acclimated to this forum. Any great tips for getting connected?

A mans actions are a direct testament of his thoughts (live adventurously).-Author Unknown
SummerVacay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #2769
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Welcome SV !!

Also ladies that are having a problem with Moto shops ..
Are you in the USA ?? I think some other countries are having a problem in believing that there are female riders ... It's still a mans world out there.Hell it's still a mans world here too.. And that could also be the problem...

As I said I have been dealing with 2 shops for a very long time.. And they are super... But I can walk into a shop that doesn't know me .. And NOT get someone to wait on me.. I have a 10 min rule .. If you don't acknowledge that I'm in your shop .. I'm out of there and will NEVER return...

I ran a store for years... All I would do was holler out .. "If ya need help just holler" I didn't hound a customer,just let them know I saw them come in.. Acknowledgement that's all..

Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #2770
SummerVacay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Deals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Welcome SV !!

Also ladies that are having a problem with Moto shops ...
Thanks for the welcome! I'll be hunting the area and online moto shops in the next few weeks for bags, windshield, and a throttle lock. So far pretty happy with the attention I get in area moto shops... I go in ask my 50 million questions - and the guys seem more than happy to answer for me or look up any product for a price quote. Where are you ladies finding great deals? Problem is that I don't want to pay FULL price for anything!

A mans actions are a direct testament of his thoughts (live adventurously).-Author Unknown
SummerVacay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #2771
bikergirl4ever
girlie girl

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerVacay View Post
Thanks for the welcome! I'll be hunting the area and online moto shops in the next few weeks for bags, windshield, and a throttle lock. So far pretty happy with the attention I get in area moto shops... I go in ask my 50 million questions - and the guys seem more than happy to answer for me or look up any product for a price quote. Where are you ladies finding great deals? Problem is that I don't want to pay FULL price for anything!
The BMW shops in Lakeville and Monticello have pretty good customer service but you wont find many great deals at either one of them. Sometimes the one in Lakeville has a decent sale on helmets etc.
If you make it up to the Akeley area let me know and we can go for a ride. We have a ADV ride in May. There is also a great bunch of ADV guys in the northshore area. They just had an ADV ride 2 weeks ago. There were 3 other women on that ride, so we are getting more of us on these rides. There are a lot of guys that get together and ride Inthe twin cities area also.
Have fun
bikergirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #2772
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

My 2 shops always give me 20+% off on everything I buy through them..
And there prices are very good to start with....

Staying with the 2 shops,that are owned by the same person has it's benefits.

LadyDraco screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 11:07 AM
Old 07-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #2773
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
FWIW, there is an industrial design student Janniche and from the University of New South Wales who according to her post over on Modern Vespa is working on a major project regarding protective garments for females who ride. She says her emphasis is on comfort, visual appeal and new technology.

from Janniche "If you are a female who rides, I would be very thankful if you would take a few minutes to do my survey"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UkNabUdwQWc6MQ

This is a link to some sketches she's made http://modernvespa.com/forum/download.php?id=111343
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #2774
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerVacay View Post
Where are you ladies finding great deals? Problem is that I don't want to pay FULL price for anything!
I've found quite a bit of stuff - all in excellent shape (from protective gear to tail racks) on here - there's a big forum for folks wanting to sell or buy gear, bikes, etc. There's a vendor thread too - vendors will post their coupons, specials, etc. I think it's called Flea Market, or something similar.
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #2775
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Rosie, those are cool. When you do the write up in the WR thread please drop a to it here so we don't miss it.
The write up is here. They did keep my hands warmer, so I think I'll be able to get by without the heated liners for now.