Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #2791
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 512
This is good to know... I have a couple pairs of pants but nothing I love. I have considered getting a good pair of Klim's pants but have been leery of not having a women's option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Just a pointer for those of you who ride dirt, regarding Klim's Dakar pants. I've got big hips, and mine fit really well despite being made for men. They're the only dirt pants I've found that work for me. If you're a tiny woman, I think you have more options with regard to dirt gear. Klim's gear is expensive but lasts forever.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #2792
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcravens View Post
This thread is really hard to find on ADVRider. I'm not sure I could ever find it again. I subscribe to it, so I don't have to look for it. .
Link? I poked around in this thread but couldn't find one... thx! :)

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #2793
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Shenandoah 500

Hey ladies, any of you who plan to come to the Shenandoah 500 this year ( or if you are even just thinking about it) shoot me a pm. I have a small group of ladies who will be riding together and if we can make it a larger group then even better!

If you don't know the event I am talking about check it out. http://watr.us/

I have gone 2 years in a rown now and it's probably my favorite event of all the things I do.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #2794
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
Hey ladies, any of you who plan to come to the Shenandoah 500 this year ( or if you are even just thinking about it) shoot me a pm. I have a small group of ladies who will be riding together and if we can make it a larger group then even better!

I have gone 2 years in a rown now and it's probably my favorite event of all the things I do.
I always wanted to do it... but we have a smallish gathering on this weekend. Post up a little bit earlier for next year - hopefully I can swing it one day.

Have fun!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #2795
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I always wanted to do it... but we have a smallish gathering on this weekend. Post up a little bit earlier for next year - hopefully I can swing it one day.

Have fun!!!
I will definitely post earlier next year! You need to come to this ride. It's pretty awesome! Enjoy your plans though :-)
Old 08-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #2796
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Hamster View Post
What year is your F650?

Question - I've heard some European countries employ a strict licensing program for motorcycles/cars.
Sorry, I totally missed this, but figure I will answer anyway....

I have a single - a 2004 twin-spark FI one. Actually, I love the thing. Last weekend I was out on a highway trip, and was riding it from the pillion with my feet on the back pegs and the rest of me in a crouch. I was just a little bit topheavy, but the position was perfect. I clearly need to swap the rear pegs for rear sets! I can only imagine how funny I looked.

For Germany, things will change next year. We have Class MoFa - motorized bicycles of about 25cc, then Class M (15YO) - up to 50cc scooters (rollers), then A1 (16YO) which is 125cc and down, A2 (18YO) which is 25kW and down, and A3 which is the old unlimited class. What's changing is that you used to be able to take A2 at 18YO and it would magically turn into A3 after two years. As of January, that will not be possible. You will have to take the A3 exam to get it, but you can't do that until you have two years in. And if you want to take A3 directly, you still have to be 25YO. All of the smaller classes are included in the bigger ones.

Cars are cars, unless they weigh more than 3500kg or are automatic. If you take your exam with an automatic, you are stuck with automatics until you pass the exam with a stick. They brand your license. You also need a class BE to tow anything over 750kg. I got that one, too. :)

Feel free to ask me stuff about Germany. It's pretty wonderful. I miss MI, though.....
Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #2797
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
What's changing is that you used to be able to take A2 at 18YO and it would magically turn into A3 after two years. As of January, that will not be possible. You will have to take the A3 exam to get it, but you can't do that until you have two years in. And if you want to take A3 directly, you still have to be 25YO. All of the smaller classes are included in the bigger ones.
that's a new one to me - but it makes sense considering all the steps im "Stufenfuehrerschein". I'm just glad I got my license before it all went into effect and saved a ton of money (it kinda dates me... ).

Funny thing is, that when I moved to the states I never had to take a driving test - they just looked at my license and said "if you made it in Germany you don't need to drive or ride here"
Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #2798
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Funny thing is, that when I moved to the states I never had to take a driving test - they just looked at my license and said "if you made it in Germany you don't need to drive or ride here"
It varies by state since some states have reciproicty with different European countries. For example there is at list at http://www.german-way.com/germany-dr...ciprocity.html for reciprocity, full or partial by state. Since my motorcycle/car licenses were issued by Texas I have full reciprocity with Germany while someone from Florida would have to take a written but not road test. Someone from Califonia is SOL since apparently there is no reciprocity for anyone staying more than a year.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #2799
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Actually, that site is wrong. No state has full reciprocity for motorcycles. We found that out at work this year.

Many states have full reciprocity for cars <3500kgs, and I think Iowa has reciprocity for certain commercial vehicles (due to Case/Harvester/Deere/etc), but you have to have had a German license for the full Probezeit (a sort of Cinderella period) of two years before a bike endorsement will transfer.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #2800
avocado_sandwich
herbivorousmotogirl

Oddometer: 308
Shenandoah 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post

I am seriously considering it this year. I have a few days to think about it. Thanks for reminding me!
avocado_sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #2801
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Shenandoah 500 - almost sold out

Ladies,

If any of you are planning to join this event, it is almost sold out now (see below). As a note, if you are wondering if you should or should not come, please PM me and I'll give you the download on details from my experience the past 2 years. I think you should come if you have very comfortable riding skills - be able to ride on some very rocky terrain, turn your bike in a tight circle without putting your feet on the ground, not be afraid of rocky creek crossings. It's a very fun time. As of now I have 2-3 gals for Saturday, and the same for Sunday. It would be nice get a few more who are experienced and like this type of riding. You'll get a great work out and have a lot of fun!

You will need full dual sport gear for this too - there are rocky and gravel sections, plus there are a few guys on fast bikes who like to roost you as they fly by. It's some pavement, gravel roads, rocky roads, wide single track, climbing on all different terrains.

Again, send me a PM with questions but you need to decide right away since registration won't be open much longer now. I bet today will be it.

- Tuffstuff

-----------------------

Pre-registration for the 2012 AMA Husqvarna Shenandoah 500 National 2-Day Dual Sport (Oct. 6th & 7th) is almost full. Pre-registrations will ONLY be ACCEPTED via ONLINE.

PRE-REGISTER ONLINE - http://watr.us/

If you have not pre-registered yet and you would like to join us, please don't delay. Again, we are ALMOST FULL!

*** IMPORTANT ***: This event is PRE-REGISTRATION ONLINE ONLY! First come, first served. No entries accepted after Friday, September 7, 2012 or when rider limit has been met, whichever comes first. NO MAILED IN PRE-REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED!! NO POST-ENTRIES!! This event will continue, rain or shine - no refunds will be granted.

If you plan on camping with us at the Natural Chimneys Park Campground and have not yet made reservations, please call them at 540-245-5727 to make your reservations ASAP. Natural Chimneys Park Campground Info - http://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=617

We hope to see you on the trail with us in October!

Washington Area Trail Riders
http://watr.us/
Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #2802
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

forgive the n00b question please, but what does "full dual-sport gear" consist of?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #2803
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
forgive the n00b question please, but what does "full dual-sport gear" consist of?
Not a silly question at all ... A ride like this needs riding boots, recommend knee pads, at least a roost protector if not full armor jacket, dual sport helmet ... There are people who ride this without all the gear. It's not treacherous. I personally am more comfortable with the added layers of protection. My first year I did a stream crossing too fast, came out on the other side up an embankment, cleared the trail and landed in a ditch and hit a downed tree. I stood up with no injury and was super happy with my helmet because my head hit the tree. The second year I did the same crossing with no issues. It was all rider error in my first attempt.

This year I am wearing the proper boots, full armor jacket, rider pants that have built in knee protection and the regular gear of gloves, helmet, jersey. I ride better with it all on because I still take sharp turns on gravel roads too tentative. When. Am wearing the proper gear I am much more confident, knowing if I do slide out I am not going to rip all my skin on the gravel.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #2804
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

You can ride like this

Or this

Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #2805
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Ok, so my usual set up probably qualifies!! Minus the chest protector which I don't have, but that would imply I had a chest to protect.... :P