Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #2806
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Ok, so my usual set up probably qualifies!! Minus the chest protector which I don't have, but that would imply I had a chest to protect.... :P
Hahaha!! Yes sounds like you are good. I absolutely empathize with the chest thing!! Right there with you!!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #2807
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Ok, so my usual set up probably qualifies!! Minus the chest protector which I don't have, but that would imply I had a chest to protect.... :P
Btw. Are you coming to the S500? Or were you just curious about what I meant about the gear? Be awesome if you come!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #2808
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,611
I live in Germany right now, so no, not coming to the S500. Plus, I need to learn to ride dirt first. I'm a slab and twisties girl right now, only a few farm roads so far. Yesterday was some washboard and gravel, but not very technical.

I need to get out more.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #2809
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,163
After seeing how people around Denver drive, I now wear most of my dirt gear. That includes gloves with armored knuckles, my pressure suit (RockGardn), my knee/shin pads and my trials boots. Over that go my street pants and my street jacket. IMO, street jackets don't have adequate armor for a really bad fall. DAMHIK
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #2810
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
After seeing how people around Denver drive, I now wear most of my dirt gear. That includes gloves with armored knuckles, my pressure suit (RockGardn), my knee/shin pads and my trials boots. Over that go my street pants and my street jacket. IMO, street jackets don't have adequate armor for a really bad fall. DAMHIK
That's a really good idea. There are times on the harley that I am wishing for my armor. When we rode from Sturgis across country 2 summers ago, there were times I was sure we were getting hit. The absolute worst time was riding down to the Keys and going through Miami. We had to pull over because I couldn't take the stress anymore at one point. I just needed a break from it.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #2811
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,611
Bigger Gear in Europe

I sent this info to Shogani yesterday per her request, but realized maybe more ladies are interested...

Ladies'-cut touring gear available in Germany (German shops) in larger sizes...

http://www.hein-gericke.de/bekleidun...off-white.html

http://www.hein-gericke.de/bekleidun...e-schwarz.html

http://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/cordu...acke-grau.html

http://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/atlan...dura-hose.html

http://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/mohawk-mvs-1-jacke.html

http://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/mohawk-mvs-1-hose.html

Vanucci Jacket

Lucca Pants

Shannon Jacket

Shannon Pants

Should you find yourself in Germany or Austria for any reason, it's definitely worth it to make a trip to HG, polo, or Louis to check out gear. Louis ships all over, and polo has lots of kids' gear, too.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #2812
MikeJansen
Lost

Oddometer: 114
Aerostich just announced Women's sizing!

http://www.aerostich.com/womens-sizing

WitchdoctorA and I both ride in RC 2 pieces. Her trousers were custom lengthened 3 inches and she also has a pair of Dariens that fit well.

Just thought the word should be spread!

Mike
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #2813
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJansen View Post

A friend of mine is the model for their new one piece women's suit. If I remember correctly she used the prototype on the Scooter Cannonball earlier this year. Cross crountry 'race' on scooters some of which were over 40-60 years old, others modern. Kirstin rode a Vespa 300 GTS modified with an auxulary gas tank. I meet up with the connonballers in Abilene, TX where she was taking off her exhaust to get it repaired (weld required by local welder) and put back on to hold her to an over night 2 days later where a new pipe had been shipped for her to swap out. Girl does her own wrenching and looks good while doing it.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #2814
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJansen View Post

WitchdoctorA and I both ride in RC 2 pieces. Her trousers were custom lengthened 3 inches and she also has a pair of Dariens that fit well.

Just thought the word should be spread!

Mike
That's great news! I'd like to get one in the next couple years and my daughter too.

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #2815
Gotawee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
New female member from Australia

A bit about myself-
I started on GS500 Suzuki in 2008 and in January I purchased a 2012 wee strom it's a great bike.

Did my first solo trip on the GS500 around 6-8 months after getting my license, I went to Tassie, 3 weeks on the road.
Considering when I did this i had only a few hundred k's in the saddle on the bike it was scary but i felt a great deal of satisfaction that I made it.

I have now done 4 road trips on the new bike between 3-5 days long with friends what a great bike for touring on.
She has done just over 15500km's now with many more to come.
I also hope to gain the skills to be able to take more dirt/gravel roads on my trips to see more sites.

Hope to gather information from the more experienced female riders on this forum and hopefully I may be able to contribute something use full as well.
Gotawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #2816
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotawee View Post
New female member from Australia

A bit about myself-
I started on GS500 Suzuki in 2008 and in January I purchased a 2012 wee strom it's a great bike.

Did my first solo trip on the GS500 around 6-8 months after getting my license, I went to Tassie, 3 weeks on the road.
Considering when I did this i had only a few hundred k's in the saddle on the bike it was scary but i felt a great deal of satisfaction that I made it.

I have now done 4 road trips on the new bike between 3-5 days long with friends what a great bike for touring on.
She has done just over 15500km's now with many more to come.
I also hope to gain the skills to be able to take more dirt/gravel roads on my trips to see more sites.

Hope to gather information from the more experienced female riders on this forum and hopefully I may be able to contribute something use full as well.
Hello new female member from Australia!

That's great that you went out so soon after getting your license! It's a very satisfying feeling. The ride I took after I got mine was like 2 weeks after - was SO not ready! woo. I've been riding for two years now and am a much better rider! phew!

I just went on a ride this weekend, though, and ended up WAAAY over my head. The guy I rode with did not intend for it to get so gnarly - the road was marked as a maintained gravel type road up in Vermont but I think after Hurricane Irene last year, a lot of those roads got pretty beat up. I was SO scared oh my gosh! I think my boyfriend said it would have been a class 4 road - washed out, ruts, huge rocks. But I made it and so did the bike! The guy felt so bad - he kept apologizing but he was great. He picked the bike up for me twice, moved it to where I could get back on and was very encouraging.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #2817
jcravens
CoyoteGirl

Oddometer: 35
September ride & milestones

Had a great ride this September (photos & blog here), and also, reached some milestones: I've ridden more than 7000 miles on my KLR since I bought it just shy of a year ago, including more than more than 100 miles of gravel! My husband (coyotetrips) and I are always looking for public gravel roads to practice near us South of Portland (suggestions welcomed!).

Not easy learning to be a dirt and gravel rider in your 40s, but I'm giving it a go!
Now riding: 2008 KLR 650 ; Previously: 1982 Honda Nighthawk 650
On Twitter: @jayne_a_broad
jcravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #2818
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
Thumb

That's great Jayne! Sounds like you're having a blast!

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #2819
Gotawee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen13 View Post
Hello new female member from Australia!

That's great that you went out so soon after getting your license! It's a very satisfying feeling. The ride I took after I got mine was like 2 weeks after - was SO not ready! woo. I've been riding for two years now and am a much better rider! phew!

I just went on a ride this weekend, though, and ended up WAAAY over my head. The guy I rode with did not intend for it to get so gnarly - the road was marked as a maintained gravel type road up in Vermont but I think after Hurricane Irene last year, a lot of those roads got pretty beat up. I was SO scared oh my gosh! I think my boyfriend said it would have been a class 4 road - washed out, ruts, huge rocks. But I made it and so did the bike! The guy felt so bad - he kept apologizing but he was great. He picked the bike up for me twice, moved it to where I could get back on and was very encouraging.
Thanks for the welcome.
Sounds like you had a great weekend good on you for getting in and giving it a go.
Not sure I'll be doing that type of dirt on the strom though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcravens View Post
Had a great ride this September (photos & blog here), and also, reached some milestones: I've ridden more than 7000 miles on my KLR since I bought it just shy of a year ago, including more than more than 100 miles of gravel! My husband (coyotetrips) and I are always looking for public gravel roads to practice near us South of Portland (suggestions welcomed!).

Not easy learning to be a dirt and gravel rider in your 40s, but I'm giving it a go!
I'm told it's all a confidence thing I hope they are right but where do you find the confidence that's what I'd like to know.
Gotawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #2820
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,163
You get the confidence from riding, pushing yourself a little bit, riding, pushing more and over time, you develop skills and trust in yourself. It helps to have someone who is a patient coach but you can figure it out for yourself, too. Another inmate, Neduro, has really good dirt skills videos you can find here: http://www.dualsportriding.com/
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote