User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #751
Fish on a bike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Hey

I'm a relative noob, and a woman. Thought I'd throw in a nod.

I'm from Montreal and I ride an XR650L. Took it off the road for the first time a couple weekends ago, though it was mostly the more experienced and less cautious men doing the fun stuff. I'm learning it slowly.

Gear... I also wish they'd wise up and make some decent stuff. It's tough finding jackets and pants that are long enough without being too wide. And I'm not extraordinarily tall. And what's with the tiny sleeves... jeesh. So I'm still hunting for good gear while wearing my SO's ex's stuff which I'm kinda floating in. It works but I'm not comfortable, and the sleeves are still too short.

And shopping for new stuff is impossible because the retailers around here don't seem to see much of a market in the women's lines. Very very limited selection.

Attaching something of me and the bike. Yeah, not ATTGATT in this pic, but it was only to taxi a short distance and the gear was back on.
Attached Images

Fish on a bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #752
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,807
is that one of those flying monkeys from the wizard of oz behind you?

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #753
Fish on a bike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Nah that's the littlest (but loudest and bossiest) of 4 dogs we had chasing and darting in front of the bike all day. Her name's Molly. One day she will make an appearance in a tankbag.
Fish on a bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #754
AdvRydr
De asini vmbra disceptare

Oddometer: 3,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxergrrlie
I do wish someone would make gear cut more flattering for women but with the same quality fabrics, armor and safety features that men's gear has.... Some of that is changing, but buyer beware.

So much women's gear is really bad. I'm all of 5'7" and I still can't find pants long enough to not ride up over the top of my boots when I'm on the bike, and yet they've got enough material left over from making shorty legs to make a really tall waist that rides wayyyy up my ribcage

And good luck finding enough of a selection to try on
Old 09-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #755
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRydr

So much women's gear is really bad. I'm all of 5'7" and I still can't find pants long enough to not ride up over the top of my boots when I'm on the bike, and yet they've got enough material left over from making shorty legs to make a really tall waist that rides wayyyy up my ribcage

I have struggled with trying to find riding gear that fits for years, way to many years. I'm short, 5'0" and can't find riding pants that fit, even short legnth are to long. For the taller gals things are too short. I'm not sure what height the manufatures are using but I suspect they think every female is 5'4" to 5'6" and has the shape of a man.

The women's sizes in jackets and such that I have found are nothing more than a man's with a woman size sewn in. Most women are shaped much different than a man.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting we can buy women's "riding" gear that's made for women but it's not made for riding it's made for profiling.

I'd love to find riding gear that fits well, gives protections and looks a little more feminine. Not necessarily the powder blue or pink but cut for a woman and with at least something that looks a little girlie, maybe a nice color accent, something, anything. I'm not much for the girlie pastel colors that are available since bug splatters on those colors are just not attractive.

The good news is there is more than there was 10 years ago, and certainly a lot more than 30 years ago when it comes to women's wear but it's so slow coming. The more women that take up riding the better chances we have at actually getting decent riding clothes and something that's designed for us rather than a manufacture just sticking a woman's size in a man's garmet or thinking what all the women want is pastel colors.

This is something that is a never ending frustration for me and I especially hate it when I get the lecture of ATGATT when I can't find gear that fits. I can make due with what I have found for a jacket but boots and pants are still a problem for me to find that fit. Boots, another huge frustration . . . .

OK rant over.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #756
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:

I'm fortunate to live in Seattle where there is Seattle Cycle Center. Lisa runs the shop there and has done and excellent job of making about 1/4 of the store woman-specific. Lisa rides, too, so she knows what sort of stuff to bring it. It might be worth a trip over the mountains Ladybug

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #757
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesDame
I'm fortunate to live in Seattle where there is Seattle Cycle Center. Lisa runs the shop there and has done and excellent job of making about 1/4 of the store woman-specific. Lisa rides, too, so she knows what sort of stuff to bring it. It might be worth a trip over the mountains Ladybug
I happen to be headed that way the last weekend of Sept. to spend some quality time at South Sound BMW with my bike receiving a recall fix. I hope to be out of there no later than noon so I'd be able to stop by Seattle Cycle Center. Tantrum will be meeting me there and I'll let her know we need to check it out.

I'll be over for the Motorcycle Show in Dec. too but last year I didn't find riding clothes that fit there. I did however make the mistake of sitting on a F650 again and remembered why I wanted one. That show ended up costing me a pretty penny but I sure don't regrett it, I sure do like that bike.

It'll be nice if they have something in stock that fits. I keep trying
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 AM   #758
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 834
Quote:

I'm 5'7" too and have the same issues with gear - especially pants - always too short so I just end up buying guys stuff...

In Loving Memory of Cruzin2B 1953 - 2014
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #759
LeGGz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I forgot to mention www.motosport.com

They make their items custom (although you don't see that even mentioned untill you are looking at the product).

My SO said that they aren't known for having the best website - but they make awesome custom fitting gear. (not just awesome fitting, but extremely safe too)

Only bad part is that you have to be able to afford it to begin with. (which is why I don't have any just yet. other things have become more urgent - so just the basics were bought when I became a passenger. Good basics - but basics)

It's sad to hear that the items they are gearing for women in the mass market are poor quality all around.

POS idiots don't have a clue.
LeGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #760
sachiwilson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
If it helps, I am 5'7" and I found some good, protective gear from Frank Thomas. You can find it at Cycle Gear stores. It isn't too expensive for decent stuff. (I've gone down the road in my leathers and they're unmarked, and so am I, so I had a chance to test them.)
Old 09-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #761
grae313
Idiosyncratic Misanthrope

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGGz
I forgot to mention www.motosport.com
it's www.motoport.com

and yes, it's some of the best gear you can get in terms of safety
grae313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #762
LeGGz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grae313
it's www.motoport.com

and yes, it's some of the best gear you can get in terms of safety
duh - sorry. I knew that, but I didn't copy and paste and just typed it in quickly.

Thanks so much for the correction.

VR - I'll read your thread some more - I liked several of your ideas. The SO nearly had a coronary when he saw how much crapola I wanted to bring for a 3 day trip. Even with vaccum sealed type bags - we could barely get the sidebags closed on his big ol K1200LT
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #763
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGGz

VR - I'll read your thread some more - I liked several of your ideas. The SO nearly had a coronary when he saw how much crapola I wanted to bring for a 3 day trip. Even with vaccum sealed type bags - we could barely get the sidebags closed on his big ol K1200LT
When I first started traveling in my truck, I had about 5 large duffles. Seriously.

1 for shoes
1 for clothes
1 for books
1 for gadgets
1 for bathroom stuff

In the last 2 years, I've slimmed down... I can get everything in 1 very small tail pack and 2 un-expanded OEM sidebags - for any amount of time on the road, weeks or months. It's been very hard to do that, and the biggest thing I miss is having stuff that makes me feel like a woman. Not like there's any time for that stuff(heels, dresses, etc.) but sometimes it's nice to feel attractive in nice clothing with your hair done, a bit of makeup on with some nice strappy shoes. Instead it's helmet hair, man pants and dirty shirts.

But the adventure sure makes up for it!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #764
LeGGz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
but sometimes it's nice to feel attractive in nice clothing with your hair done, a bit of makeup on with some nice strappy shoes. Instead it's helmet hair, man pants and dirty shirts.

But the adventure sure makes up for it!
The adventure is great...even just riding around the back roads north of the growing town we are in North of Dallas.

And yes - it's nice to be dressed up from time to time - but that takes up SO MUCH TIME!!!!! I did manage to get a small bag of miniature makeup goodies to take on the last trip(sally's) - so I didn't feel so bad or take up so much room. (and he loves to take pictures, especially of me - so I HAVE to have on some makeup)

No - we aren't all done up with ATGATT - there's a little explaination on the fullsize pic....but we were in Leakey, TX & had been riding the 3's all day long, & I wanted to know what it was to have the wind in clean hair. The GS pic was while it was parked....we again weren't ATGATT (only thing we didn't have were our pants.)

Old 09-26-2007, 07:19 AM   #765
ladygodiva
Gnocca

Oddometer: 13,420
knock knock

here's another female rider

I read the part of the thread about how hard it is for you gals to find clothing for tall girls. I'm not as tall as some of you ("only" 5'10") but do have something like a 38.5 inseam. I live in Italy, which is VERY slowly beginning to tailor to women over 5'5" and can barely find clothes to wear every day. Topwise I have no problems but finding a pair of jeans can be nerve-wraking not to mention riding pants. I have tried them all (except BMW which are a bit over budget right now). I just had to buy pants which were too short

When I was getting ready to ride to the ISle of Man for the TT I bought those leggings you wear over hiking boots so my trouser legs wouldn't ride up over my boots (I hate that!!!!!) and then I' just went out and bought a pair of taller boots. And here we have the next problem. I'm tall but have small feet and hands for my height so boots made for women (or children) are usually pretty low!!!!!

Don't know if it's easy to get a hold of Spidi products in the States but they do design some awsome stuff tailored specifically for women. And they do lots of colors too (from classic black to pink!).

Hopefully I will be riding to Germany (the land of giants compared to here) some time soon and will spend all I have in gear.

"Life's too short to drink bad wine" Lessing

"The civilized people have lost the aptitude of stillness, and must take lessons in silence from the wild." Isak Dinesen aka Karen Blixen

"He who makes a beast of himself get's rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
ladygodiva is offline   Reply With Quote