User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #991
tlgreen
Dirty adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Talking I love this pic

This was one of my favorite rides last year. North from Vancouver to Bella Coola then south on the ferry to Vancouver Island.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #992
tlgreen
Dirty adventurer

and one with the bike

I guess not everyone goes ATGATT when riding horses eh?

Ok, here is one with the bike.
Attached Images

tlgreen screwed with this post 01-19-2008 at 10:13 PM
tlgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #993
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
Very nice Ladybug! I really like that Randle WA one, what a gorgeous place to camp!
That campground in Randle is one of my favorites. They also have four group campsites that look the same only bigger. I've been kicking around hosting a campout for the ADV gals there for a weekend of riding and time with other women riders.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #994
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Just stick maxi pads to his seat and cover em with strawberry sauce.
You're evil I love it
Old 01-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #995
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
That campground in Randle is one of my favorites. They also have four group campsites that look the same only bigger. I've been kicking around hosting a campout for the ADV gals there for a weekend of riding and time with other women riders.
It seems like there's enough PNW gals to make a go of it. If it happens take loads of pics okay??
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #996
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Hells Canyon info

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenshea
I hope to meet some of you this coming riding season. I saw there is a Hell's Canyon ride in the northwest...any more info on this ride?
Here's the thread for the Hells Canyon ride: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284743

If you fast forward to page 21 there's information as to where people are staying and such.

The basics are:

It's June 5-8th sort of People will be arriving on Thurs. some on Fri. and we will head to Hells Canyon on Sat. Spend the night then head out Sun.

The meeting place will be in Lewsiton, ID

For those arriving Thurs. there's some riding to be done in that area and I think a few of the guys are putting something together for that. As far as I go on Fri. morning I think I'm going to get up early and head up Hwy 12 (Lolo Pass - 77 miles of curves) to Lochsa Lodge for breakfast. After breakfast find my way back via the Lolo Motorway (gravel).

The ride to the Sat. night camp will leave from Lewiston and at this time they are working on three routes, an all paved route, a half paved & half easy gravel/dirt route and a more technical route for those that want a challenge.

It's looking like it's going to be one heck of a fun time. It would be terrific if more gals joined in for the fun. There are a few of us going but more would be better.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #997
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Pictures

Keep the pictures coming, I love seeing everyone's pictures of their bikes and of them. More, I want more.

I had the privilege of attending one of the presentations Simon and Lisa Thomas put on last night. I'm so impressed by those two. If you're not aware of who they are here's the link to their web page. http://www.2ridetheworld.com/ These two are incredible and they are working on three world records with their adventure.

I told Simon I wanted my picture taken with him since I keep seeing that the guys get their picture taken with Lisa. He agreed but would only do it if I would sit on his bike. It even got better because Lisa agreed to be in the picture too. How often does a person have the opportunity to get their picture taken with their hero's? Last night will be one of those special memories I'll hold onto for a lifetime.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #998
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgreen
I guess not everyone goes ATGATT when riding horses eh?

Ok, here is one with the bike.
Wow, there are some pretty cool posts on this thread! But I can tell ya, TL Green is 5'6" tall, weighs 135 lbs and rides a KTM 950 anywhere. Really amazing (sorry TL about the personal stuff, couldn't help it! )

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #999
sector
Beastly Adventurer

So, where is your comfort level?

Flat footing it, one butt cheek on the saddle with a toe on the ground or ballerina style? I've just graduated from flat footing to ballerina, myself woohoo!!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #1000
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Keep the pictures coming, I love seeing everyone's pictures of their bikes and of them. More, I want more.

I had the privilege of attending one of the presentations Simon and Lisa Thomas put on last night. I'm so impressed by those two. If you're not aware of who they are here's the link to their web page. http://www.2ridetheworld.com/ These two are incredible and they are working on three world records with their adventure.

I told Simon I wanted my picture taken with him since I keep seeing that the guys get their picture taken with Lisa. He agreed but would only do it if I would sit on his bike. It even got better because Lisa agreed to be in the picture too. How often does a person have the opportunity to get their picture taken with their hero's? Last night will be one of those special memories I'll hold onto for a lifetime.

LadyBug, Great pic! wish I could have been there, too! Going to my previous post, this bike might qualify as "hover" style with center stand engaged.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 AM   #1001
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Comfort Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector
Flat footing it, one butt cheek on the saddle with a toe on the ground or ballerina style? I've just graduated from flat footing to ballerina, myself woohoo!!
I've spent my entire riding career riding "ballerina style", I have discovered there is a huge differance even between being on the tips of my toes and being on the balls of my feet when riding or perhaps I should say when stopping. After a long day of riding with many stops if I'm riding a bike where I'm on the tips of my toes it will result in cramps in my calves at times from extending. If the bike starts to go over by the time I'm flat footed it has past the point of no return. A few years back on a heavier bike this happened, I got stubborn, decided it wasn't going to hit the ground and saved it. I also tore a hamstring that took over a year to heal I won't do that again, it wasn't worth it.

I had a lowering link put on my '99 F650 and had the seat cut down and that took it from me riding it on the tips of my toes to flat footed and what a difference that has made. It is so much easier for me to ride (stop), I'm less tired at the end of the day and I don't have to worry so much about where I go. The down side is when I did this it changed the clearance between the back tire and the fender and now when I hit bumps the tire hits the bottom of the fender well. I thought I needed a new shock so I bought an Ohlins, that didn't fix it. The '99 is now my road bike, well I still take it on some very well groomed gravel/dirt.

With that I decided I wanted a new F650 and bought my '07 F650GS, I love that bike but I'm on the balls of my feet on it. I decided I wanted the standard rather than the lowered so that's what I bought. I had the seat cut down, which helped but I still can't flat foot it. The bike is much better off road but I'm apprehensive with it because I can't touch ground well and it is heavy to pick up.

This spring I'll be going to Baja with a group and I wanted something I could handle a little better than I do my F650GS so I have an '08 Suzuki DR200 on it's way. I'm on my tip toes on it and once I get the seat cut down I'll be able to touch a little better than on the balls of my feet but probably still not flat footed. I think it's going to be a perfect bike for that ride and for many rides after that. It's not a highway bike and I don't expect it to be, but it's going to make one heck of a adventure bike for me. With it being smaller and lighter it won't be as much of a handful as my F650 which will make it more fun for me. Not to mention when it goes over, and it will, it will be easier for me to pick up.

I've been riding for over 30 years, I started on a 100 had a couple 750s, did the Harley touring bike thing, there were a half a dozen other bikes in there too and I'm now getting smaller and smaller bikes. For years I listened to all the people that kept telling me I could ride the bigger bikes and I could but I have discovered I enjoy the smaller bikes so much more, for me they are easier to ride. I also have a Honda XR100 dirt bike, it doesn't go fast and doesn't have the suspension that bigger dirt bikes have, but I have one heck of a good time with it. I have taken in all over the mountains of WA/ID/and MT and it just keeps going. For me bigger isn't always better and even if I can ride a bigger bike that doesn't mean I should or that I will enjoy it.

When it comes down to it being able to reach the ground doesn't make a differance when you are riding it's just the stopping and starting where it comes in to play. For some people it's a non-issue, they do fine and enjoy their tall bikes and have learned to deal with how to stop on a bike where they don't touch. For me, well heck, I'm uncoordinated and truthfully danged tired of dropping bikes at stops.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to what bike a person should ride or if they should be able to flat foot or not. That's up to each person to decide for themselves, what they are comfortable with and what they enjoy. There's a lot of peer pressure in the motorcycle world even though we pretend there isn't

I'm looking forward to reading what the rest of you think, what you enjoy and where you're at with this subject and for all you tall gals that can ride anything and flat foot
Old 01-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #1002
tlgreen
Dirty adventurer

Laugh Shucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector
Wow, there are some pretty cool posts on this thread! But I can tell ya, TL Green is 5'6" tall, weighs 135 lbs and rides a KTM 950 anywhere. Really amazing (sorry TL about the personal stuff, couldn't help it! )
thanks Sector for the kind words...
The reality is, I still fall alot, especially when trying to turn the bike around. That said, my comfort level is still ballerina. If my bike starts going over, there is really no stopping it.

Leg strength plays a big part as well as what kind of shape your back is in. I would never recommend a bigger bike to anyone with a bad back. From what i have seen with most of the women that ride, we are a pretty strong group. Mentally & Physically!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #1003
tlgreen
Dirty adventurer

Perfect!!

Quote:
That area would be fabulous!! I could easily get there for a weekend!
Lets definately work on this Ladybug. If you need any help organizing I would be more than happy to help!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #1004
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've spent my entire riding career riding "ballerina style", I have discovered there is a huge differance even between being on the tips of my toes and being on the balls of my feet when riding or perhaps I should say when stopping. After a long day of riding with many stops if I'm riding a bike where I'm on the tips of my toes it will result in cramps in my calves at times from extending. If the bike starts to go over by the time I'm flat footed it has past the point of no return. A few years back on a heavier bike this happened, I got stubborn, decided it wasn't going to hit the ground and saved it. I also tore a hamstring that took over a year to heal I won't do that again, it wasn't worth it.

I had a lowering link put on my '99 F650 and had the seat cut down and that took it from me riding it on the tips of my toes to flat footed and what a difference that has made. It is so much easier for me to ride (stop), I'm less tired at the end of the day and I don't have to worry so much about where I go. The down side is when I did this it changed the clearance between the back tire and the fender and now when I hit bumps the tire hits the bottom of the fender well. I thought I needed a new shock so I bought an Ohlins, that didn't fix it. The '99 is now my road bike, well I still take it on some very well groomed gravel/dirt.

With that I decided I wanted a new F650 and bought my '07 F650GS, I love that bike but I'm on the balls of my feet on it. I decided I wanted the standard rather than the lowered so that's what I bought. I had the seat cut down, which helped but I still can't flat foot it. The bike is much better off road but I'm apprehensive with it because I can't touch ground well and it is heavy to pick up.

This spring I'll be going to Baja with a group and I wanted something I could handle a little better than I do my F650GS so I have an '08 Suzuki DR200 on it's way. I'm on my tip toes on it and once I get the seat cut down I'll be able to touch a little better than on the balls of my feet but probably still not flat footed. I think it's going to be a perfect bike for that ride and for many rides after that. It's not a highway bike and I don't expect it to be, but it's going to make one heck of a adventure bike for me. With it being smaller and lighter it won't be as much of a handful as my F650 which will make it more fun for me. Not to mention when it goes over, and it will, it will be easier for me to pick up.

I've been riding for over 30 years, I started on a 100 had a couple 750s, did the Harley touring bike thing, there were a half a dozen other bikes in there too and I'm now getting smaller and smaller bikes. For years I listened to all the people that kept telling me I could ride the bigger bikes and I could but I have discovered I enjoy the smaller bikes so much more, for me they are easier to ride. I also have a Honda XR100 dirt bike, it doesn't go fast and doesn't have the suspension that bigger dirt bikes have, but I have one heck of a good time with it. I have taken in all over the mountains of WA/ID/and MT and it just keeps going. For me bigger isn't always better and even if I can ride a bigger bike that doesn't mean I should or that I will enjoy it.

When it comes down to it being able to reach the ground doesn't make a differance when you are riding it's just the stopping and starting where it comes in to play. For some people it's a non-issue, they do fine and enjoy their tall bikes and have learned to deal with how to stop on a bike where they don't touch. For me, well heck, I'm uncoordinated and truthfully danged tired of dropping bikes at stops.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to what bike a person should ride or if they should be able to flat foot or not. That's up to each person to decide for themselves, what they are comfortable with and what they enjoy. There's a lot of peer pressure in the motorcycle world even though we pretend there isn't

I'm looking forward to reading what the rest of you think, what you enjoy and where you're at with this subject and for all you tall gals that can ride anything and flat foot
Ladybug, you're right, there is no wrong answer to this one! My first bike was a lowered 06 F650 GS. I could flat foot it, but I was hitting the bottom on rough ground and dragging pegs (power pegs which are wider and tend to drag on a lower bike), and it was making me tentative. I recently got a new F650 that is not lowered and haven't had it off road too much yet. On the highway, I feel it is more solid in the corners. I'm having to just now get into the habit of having my toes down when I stop. I've been worried about dropping the bike, but am starting to get more used to it. If I could ride like TLGreen, I would just keep my feet on the pegs and not stop when the going gets rough. A few weeks ago I tried picking up the BMW F650 in my garage and failed miserably!! I read all the posts and watched all the videos on how to do it, too. I ended up with a sore back for my troubles.

I recently bought a Yamaha xt225 for the same reasons you have. I haven't ridden it much yet, but it is a blast, and I think I will try things on it that I would not wish to try on the bigger bike, for sure! But, I'm not sure if I would wish to do a tour on it. I guess I should try it before deciding. I've already dropped the xt225 several times and can pick it up OK. I will be interested to know how you do on your Baja trip.

I recently rode with a lady in Eugene who is about my height and rides a KLR 650 in places I would maybe try on the xt225. She does the one toe down with one butt cheek in the saddle. She's been riding for a long time, though. She told me she drops her bike all the time. I wouldn't know, she was always way ahead of me.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #1005
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think it would be a blast to get together with a bunch of women on dual sport bikes for a weekend. A good way to kick off the riding season in the PNW!