User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Tims Ford State Park - Winchester, TN

As part of the 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832714), I will be visiting Tims Ford State Park near Winchester, TN this Saturday (10/13/12). I picked Tims Ford SP because this Saturday is their Heritage Day celebration and they are supposed to have several activities going on including live music.

The weather is supposed to be 77 degrees with only a 10% chance of rain. Sounds like a great day for a ride.

My planned route would be:
Murfreesboro, TN (811 Commercial Court) down Manchester Highway (US 41) to Joe B. Jackson Hwy and winding down Elam Road and others until reaching TN 269 (near Christiana). That will take us all the way into Tullahoma going through Bell Buckle, Wartrace, etc. In Tullahoma we'll get on TN 130 which should take us to the park. All pavement but nice, twisty backroads.

All who would like to ride along are welcome. I'll leave from Murfreesboro but you could join up anywhere along the way. If you're coming from a different direction we could always meet up at the park.

I'll probably leave around 10:00am but am very flexible. So if you want to go and need an earlier or later departure, just let me know.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Liberia OP
Fortunate

2008 Concours 14

Just can't seem to get the old 1987 XT350 sorted out. Still cutting out at odd intervals. Sometimes it makes it home and back without a problem and sometimes it skips and bucks after 2 miles. Then it quits on me twice on the 15 mile ride to work this morning. Okay, so it wasn't the coil after all.

That leaves the next best choice, a Concours. What a nice riding bike with more power than I have the talent to use.

I plan to leave for Tim's Ford around 10am or so from my office in Murfreesboro. If anyone would like to ride along please give me a shout by PM.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Sounds good I am riding my C14 down to Barber for vintage bike days, vintage races,swap meet,auctions and vintage bike shows.I hear it's really something to see.
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Enjoy the Barber

Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
Sounds good I am riding my C14 down to Barber for vintage bike days, vintage races,swap meet,auctions and vintage bike shows.I hear it's really something to see.
I visited the museum for the first time earlier this summer and it was spectacular. I can only imagine what it would be like to visit this weekend for Vintage Bike Days and the races. I hope to make it next year. I hope you have a great time.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Weather still looking good

Even though the past 2 days have been rainy and a little cool, the Weather Channel still promises that today is going to be sunny and warm. Looks like it will be noon before the 70's show up but I'll likely leave at 10:00am as planned. You're still welcome to join me if you'd like.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Finally getting started

As usually happens, the plan to leave at 10:00am turned into nearly noon. But finally it's time to go.

The 2008 Concours at the office.

Tripmeter B set to zero will help keep track of the total mileage. (Need to reset my clock as it's 2.5 hours fast right now.)

It's supposed to be warm AND partly cloudy. This looks more like all cloudy to me.

Still, it's a good day to ride and I'm 2 hours behind.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Liberia OP
Fortunate

A high water crossing. No dual sport, no problem!

The ride started with some fairly simple directions that I've ridden before, except for the part where I failed to make a left hand turn.

Depart 811 Commercial Court to the left [0.2]
Right onto Old Salem Hwy [0.3] [ 0.5]
Left onto Middle Tennessee Blvd [1.7] [ 2.2]
Right onto Broad St/US 41s [4.9] [ 7.1]
Right onto Elam Rd [1.5] [ 8.6]
Left onto Elam Mill Rd [0.9] [ 9.5]

I usually take a slightly different route to Elam Road so I'll use that as my excuse for missing it and ending up on a gravel road (which I'm familiar with) but with a low bridge that was flooded. NEVER cross a concrete bridge with fast moving water running across it. Ask me how I know this.

Notice the water running across the bridge in the background? I just rode through it. I also felt the back end move out from under me twice before I made it across. Starting on the far left side would have been smarter than riding down the middle of the bridge (more room to be swept right without falling off the edge.

Here's a close up that shows some of the force the water was providing.

Doesn't look as bad when you're further away. That's my story anyway. I don't think I will be doing this again.

Finally, a shot through the bushes showing the water spilling over the dam in the background.

I have a video of the crossing which I'll come back and put here a little later after I finish editing it.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Liberia OP
Fortunate

On to Bell Buckle

These roads are in my backyard so I see them a lot.

Left onto Rucker Rd [0.8] [10.3]
Right onto Wayside Dr. [3.2] [13.5]
Left onto Christiana-Hoovers Gap Rd [0.1] [13.6]
Right onto Short Creek Rd [2.0] [15.6]
Left onto Hwy 269 to Bell Buckle [6.1] [21.7]

At the corner of Christian-Hoovers Gap Road and Short Creek Road is....

A red caboose. Since there isn't a railroad for at least 2 miles, it's a mystery to me how my neighbor wound up with this in his backyard.

Bell Buckle is a really nice town that has a number of well attended festivals in addition to several antique shops, a cafe and an ice cream parlor. But I only stopped long enough for a quick picture. Now off to Wartrace.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Wartrace, Normandy and the Park

Jog Right then Left on Hwy 269 to Wartrace [4.6] [26.3]
Jog Left then Right on Hwy 269 to Tullahoma [14.0] [40.3]
Right onto Marbury Crossing [0.1] [40.4]
Left onto US 41A [2.4] [42.8]
Right onto W. Carroll St/Hwy 130 [4.5] [47.3]
Right onto Await Rd [5.5] [52.8]
Left onto Mansford Rd [1.6] [54.4]
Right onto Tims Ford Dr

Wartrace is only about 5 miles further down the road. It has a hotel with a restuarant (not sure if they are currently open) and an ice cream shop (are you seeing a pattern to how I judge a successful town).

A few miles on down the road is the town of Normandy. It's pretty small but it has a new cafe with, you guessed it, ice cream. Also, it's home to the George Dickel Whiskey distillery. I've not toured it but they do have free tours. At the beginning of this thread is a picture of my Alaska Brother and me parked in front of their sign on a trip we made to Cheaha State Park in Alabama plus the Barber Motorsports Museum (see the ride report HERE).

Finally I arrive at the entrance to Tim's Ford State Park.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Tims Ford State Park

Even though it's only 50 miles from my home, I'd never been to this park. So today changed that statistic to the affirmative.

The Welcome Center was small but very nice. The ranger working inside (I think she was a ranger) was very nice and I was the only one there at the time. (There were some blue skies for part of the ride.)

They had some displays up with photographs from a century ago. The Elk River plays a big part in this part of Tennessee.

They also had a storyboard of many communities that used to be in the area but have died out.

An interesting conversation with an old resident. I can remember my Daddy talking about plowing behind a mule when he was 5 years old. My Florida Brother has the plow that he used.

There was a nice classroom in the Visitor's System with a pretty good view.

And there were flowers by the door. Must have heard I was coming.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Heritage Days

I chose to come to Tims Ford today because they were celebrating Heritage Days.

Here's their listing of events for the day.

I pulled up and parked just in time to follow this older gentleman into the park. He was carrying a small case that either contained a machine gun or....a fiddle. I was hoping for the fiddle.

Sure enough, he was invited into a small group of musicians for a "pick up" session. Mrs. Liberia and I used to go over to the Fiddler's Jamboree in Smithville, TN when we were here in the late 70's and some of the best music was these little groups that walked up, introduced themselves and began to play together.

There was also a group, mainly mandolins, playing in a separate area. They were in period dress and sang as they played.

This lady was making yarn from the fur of Angora rabbits and insisted that the other lady pet the rabbit to feel its soft hair.

I think this man was making wooden shingles. But he wasn't demonstrating while I was standing there.

This lady was teaching children how to make items with clay with hand building methods.

There was a pretty steady stream of people taking advantage of the free hayrides. I think everything except the food was free.

And, in the middle of my wanderings I was startled (scared but guys don't get scared) by an earth shaking boom. It turned out to be the Sons of the Confederacy reinactment group. Not sure this group is as popular above the Mason-Dixon.

They had a couple of cannons. One was supposed to have a range of 1,600 yards with accuracy up to 800.

I think this was the ammunition wagon but I could be wrong (I'm never wrong).

Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Liberia OP
Fortunate

The Park itself

One of the things I hope comes from the various State park reports is a feel for the park itself.

It's 10:30pm and the end of a long day. I'll post more tomorrow.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
Gooner
DC 43

Oddometer: 97
Thanks for sharing. Been up on the dam overlook several times but never into the park. Will have to check it out sometime.
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Liberia OP
Fortunate

The cabins and camping spaces

There were quite a few condo-like cabins to rent. Looked like nice places from the outside but I didn't have access to the inside of any (I asked several families for their keys but they said "no").

This is the view immediately in the front (lake side) of the cabins.

Another view of the lake near the cabins.

The water is nice and clear in this little finger off of the lake.

Another area with at least a dozen cabins down near the lake.

Winding into one of the RV/Camping sites.

Not likely to pull a (large) travel trailer in with your bike but there were many in the park this weekend. Many more than tents.

There were a few tents around however. Electric and water at every site.