User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
YOUNZ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Is it legal?

The question, is it legal, to drive a rig, from the sidecar, as we've seen done here a few times. Could one plan on traveling across country, driving in the sidecar, no one on the motorcycle, and be legal all across the land.
Supposing a state trooper stops you out on a desert road, out in the desert and says, you can't be doing this. How far would you get if you tell him, it's a grey area of the law. Or isn't it?
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
When we build bikes for people to ride while seated in thier wheel chairs this is how we build them. In this case it is legal.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 544
Does that require a handicap license tag?

Ride to Alaska on a URAL Blog
http://uralinguccc.blogspot.com
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,903
Motorcycle law is somewhat consistent in that one leg on each side of the vehicle and your butt on the seat. 3 wheelers are unique and I would think that a bit of logic and reasoning may apply.

If you have all controls for operation in the side car then that becomes the operator position.
If all the controls are still on the cycle and you are in the sidecar then it becomes reckless driving.....
If it has dual controls then

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
YOUNZ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay dmc View Post
When we build bikes for people to ride while seated in their wheel chairs this is how we build them. In this case it is legal.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
I believe that is the assumption.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Just record the entire traffic & you should be good.

Do be a smart ass. They like to record the stops too.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,290
Maybe this one.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
My main question would be why in the world would you WANT to? If we're talking purely for the sake of argument that's one thing, but if you're serious about doing it for real, I don't see the point. If you want to travel around in comfort, travel in a car.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
YOUNZ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoo gunman View Post
My main question would be why in the world would you WANT to? If we're talking purely for the sake of argument that's one thing, but if you're serious about doing it for real, I don't see the point. If you want to travel around in comfort, travel in a car.
I don't believe it would be an exception in the law only for the handicapped. If it's safe for a handicapped person to operate, then of course a non-handicapped person could do just it as well. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure, driving an asymmetrical 3 wheeled sidecar from the chair would be a lot more fun than driving a car. I assume Jay could answer that.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
When we do these we mount the sidecar on the left side so that the rider is in the proper location. Flying the chair when you are in the chair can be fun.
The one we are building right now will be to heavy to fly. It is attached to a Yamaha FJR 1300AE It is for a person who can move his arms but not his fingers nor use the lower part of his body, Also his strength is limited so he has a power ramp for his power chair, a power steering wheel for his left arm to work, Power brakes and throtle for his right arm to work, He can rock his wrists so this is how we are working shifting and turn signals. Reverse is electric. He removes his arm from the steering wheel and hits a switch that engages the electric reverse and shuts off the engine. Then his throtle becomes the speed controler for the reverse. By shuting off the engine we did not have to make it in such a way as to disonect the throtle when in reverse. The reverse also works as a parking brake.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
When we do these we mount the sidecar on the left side so that the rider is in the proper location. Flying the chair when you are in the chair can be fun.
The one we are building right now will be to heavy to fly. It is attached to a Yamaha FJR 1300AE It is for a person who can move his arms but not his fingers nor use the lower part of his body, Also his strength is limited so he has a power ramp for his power chair, a power steering wheel for his left arm to work, Power brakes and throtle for his right arm to work, He can rock his wrists so this is how we are working shifting and turn signals. Reverse is electric. He removes his arm from the steering wheel and hits a switch that engages the electric reverse and shuts off the engine. Then his throtle becomes the speed controler for the reverse. By shuting off the engine we did not have to make it in such a way as to disonect the throtle when in reverse. The reverse also works as a parking brake.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Sure would like to see a build thread on this ride.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
I don't believe it would be an exception in the law only for the handicapped. If it's safe for a handicapped person to operate, then of course a non-handicapped person could do just it as well. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure, driving an asymmetrical 3 wheeled sidecar from the chair would be a lot more fun than driving a car. I assume Jay could answer that.
Modifying something for a disabled person so they can operate the rig is one thing, simply making it so that I could pilot my Ural (or whatever make/model/rig) from the chair is another. That's just my opinion mind you - I just wouldn't see the point. If I wanted that kind of comfort I'd get a trike modification on a regular bike, get a VW based trike, Can Am, or something like that. Again, just me
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
YOUNZ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoo gunman View Post
Modifying something for a disabled person so they can operate the rig is one thing, simply making it so that I could pilot my Ural (or whatever make/model/rig) from the chair is another. That's just my opinion mind you - I just wouldn't see the point. If I wanted that kind of comfort I'd get a trike modification on a regular bike, get a VW based trike, Can Am, or something like that. Again, just me
Perhaps, it's the image that is the hang up. Looking like a handicapped but not really. I have never tried it, so I can't really say. It just seems like it would be fun and absolutely different than anything else. Especially, if you had a passenger on the bike seat and the driver flying the chair from the chair! Hot damn. No doubt, it would take kahunas, to be a passenger like that.
At my age, I can and do ride, but after about an hour the arthritis says stop and recover and the ride cycle diminishes and the rest cycle increases and getting old ain't for sissies. If you love your rig, maybe that's the alternative for long distance touring??
Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
YOUNZ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

With the better weight distribution, more even with just the driver in the tub and 2 wheel drive, I'm sure I could easily leave old man Cob in the dust, on the Black Dog!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Flying the chair when you are in the chair can be fun.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote