User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Jeremiah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
76 GS750 project

Posted this in the GS appreciation thread but I think I better post here too.

Just brought home this winters project bike for the cost of renting a trailer.

GS750 Suzuki - 1976 All original except for the horns. Been sitting for 7-8 years in a barn as evidenced by the dust and cobwebs. The PO said it was running poorly and the carbs started to leak so he parked it. I have not started to do much to it yet, the weather was too nice to work on it I went riding this weekend instead. I know the carbs need some loving and the calipers are frozen, the tires are dry rotted, the cables are stiff, front forks have little or no oil in them rear shocks are original, battery is toast , bearings. Damn I got a list and I haven't even washed it off yet.

What I am hoping is that there is a forum somewhere for these old beauties that might have some technical and parts advice. Anyone know of one?

I had one of these back in the day but it was so reliable all I ever did was simple maintenance. Now I want to bring this one back to her former glory.

Thanks for any advice.

Here is the arrival:

GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
Can I get one of those for free too? Great score.

Try

http://www.thegsresources.com/
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Jeremiah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

Looks like a good forum. Already saw several projects that are gonna make me spend more money!
GL1800
Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Thanks for sharing. These are truely great bikes, and largely overlooked because it seems everyone wants a CB750, XS650, or KZsomethingorother. Pluse the GS bikes are better handling because of better bushings in the swingarms and roller-bearings on the crankshaft that make the engines nearly indestructable.

I highly recommend you join the GS Resources forum. Lots of GS crazy-knowledgeable peeps there including me.

Here are some pix of a '78 GS750E that I rebuilt about this time last year and sold to a collector in Japan.

I still have some NOS parts for the GS750 that I never used that I'm sure would do you some good, like intake rubbers, NOS badges, some brake/clutch cables, etc. Give me a ring or shoot me a PM if you need any help or advice.

Trent
641-344-9254

VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Also Jeremiah,

I was looking at the pic of your bike and it appears the bike still has original exhaust. You wanted advice so here it is: If the original exhaust is in good shape, guard it with your life. They are worth good money as most (original) GS owners ditched the stockers in favor of some 4 into 1 system. But unlike the Z1's or CB750 exhaust systems, no one makes a stock replacement/NOS exhaust for these bikes, and thus the originals are virtually non-existent, and are what really has the potential to make your bike worth some money. Not crazy money, but I had a guy on the GS Resources forum offer me close to a grand for my exhausts!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Jeremiah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I have not torn into the bike yet as far as I can tell it is all original including the exhaust and the paint.
Don't see any real problems with the paint on the frame - so I think I am going to try to keep it original and just tear it down and polish it up. I appreciate the offer and once I tear into it (waiting for a rainy day or cold weather) I will be looking for parts and pieces.

Thanks again and I will see you at the GSResources site too.

Roy
GL1800
Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Jeremiah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

By the way

That is one good looking GS you did there - did you do I build thread on it?
GL1800
Old 09-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
That is one good looking GS you did there - did you do I build thread on it?
No, I didn't bother to take pix while doing the work. But to be honest, I didn't have to do much. The bike ran perfect when I bought it for $1000. I took it down to the bare frame, re-painted the frame, cleaned every single part within an inch of its life, replaced the bars, hit all the chrome with SOS pads, had the case and cam covers polished, and found a set of spoke wheels for it. Put everything back together, put it on eGay and it sold almost immediately!

You bike looks extremely original down to the exhaust, paint, turn indicators, etc..... I could do a lot with that bike, and make some good $$$ over the winter. That's what I like to do. Find good bikes cheap during the winter, give them some much needed attention and re-sell come spring.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,952
The only thing my dad kept (besides his tools) when he sold his Suzuki dealership was a '77 GS750 in burgundy metallic.

What a great motorcycle. Wish I knew where it went.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Iron_HawK
Farkle Enthusiast

Oddometer: 52
Anxious to see the bike's progress. I'm building a GS450 cafe right now. Gotta love these GS's. I wish I had the 750 instead. Good luck man!

Iron_HawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
delftvanp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Gs 750

Love your bike, I had one in 1978, crashed in Austria, Took my cousin's GS 750 apart for parts and drove back to Austria to fix it. Got home to Holland.
34 years later I still miss it!
If you ever dicide to sell let me know!!!!!!!!!!
Paul
delftvanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Love the GS750s; I have a 1979 E myself. Needs a little cosmetic work, but runs like a bat outta hell. And I still have my stock exhaust, but I took it off because the mufflers were very rusty. Has early GSX forks, Progressive shocks, CBR brakes, pods, Kerker exhaust, custom jetting, digital gauges... once I get new tires and fork springs I'll probably have to take it to the track. Pardon the lack of riding boots, heh.

1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 885
Thumb

The GS750 was always over-shadowed by its big bro - the GS1000 Suzook had a few years to study & copy Kawasaki and made a great first attempt - even made a decent frame to go with it.

The 750 has a fantastically tough motor - also a better oil pump: these are in demand for the later and bigger Suzooks as they are a higher capacity (due to gear sizes I think?).

Great bikes and still dead cheap - Nothin' cheaper than FREE
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
Love the GS750s; I have a 1979 E myself. Needs a little cosmetic work, but runs like a bat outta hell. And I still have my stock exhaust, but I took it off because the mufflers were very rusty. Has early GSX forks, Progressive shocks, CBR brakes, pods, Kerker exhaust, custom jetting, digital gauges... once I get new tires and fork springs I'll probably have to take it to the track. Pardon the lack of riding boots, heh.

I looked at one for sale on Vancouver Island last week that was identical to yours. He wanted too much for it or I would have dragged it home for a project. It was complete but the tank was quite scratched. Mufflers were shot too.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote