User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
magrahamkp08 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Dual Plugging Heads - Where to go

I want to dual Plug the heads on my 1986 R80. Where is the best place to ship them off to?
magrahamkp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrahamkp08 View Post
I want to dual Plug the heads on my 1986 R80. Where is the best place to ship them off to?
A few questions: What is your compression ratio? What is the reason to dual plug? You might talk to San Jose - http://www.sjbmw.com/service.asp . Here's some info from Snowbum... http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/dualplugging.htm . Talk to Ted Porter, too : http://www.beemershop.com/component.php
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 11:56 AM Reason: additions
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
magrahamkp08 OP
Adventurer

Honestly i have no idea what my CR is. It is a stock bmw r80. I havent had this bike for too terribly long. It currently is my commuter bike/vehicle. In the little bit of reading i have done i have seen mixed reviews on dual plugging, but more in the positive for having it dual plugged.

After i finish working on my triumph i want to give this r80 some love. I thought dual plugging would be a good place to start. And a little later getting the 1000cc kit. The bike needs a bit more oomph, and if dual pluggin is the place to start to have a good platform. thats where i will start
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
I thought dual plugging would be a good place to start. And a little later getting the 1000cc kit. The bike needs a bit more oomph, and if dual pluggin is the place to start to have a good platform. thats where i will start
More OOMPH is always better. Do the 1000 cc kit and the heads at the same time (bump up the compression a bit, too).
One reason to dual-plug is high compression. It is the high compression that gives the OOMPH, not the dual plugging. Dual plugging helps the flame path, blah, blah, and helps to prevent detonation, blah, blah. I have high compression on my R90S and it is NOT dual plugged
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,105
Yep, what Ray says. Unless yoiu have a need to mitigate detonation (like raising the CR or needing to run on low-octane fuel) I'd leave it single plugged. The R80 has good performance without trickery. If you decide later on to go to 1000cc, get the heads worked up depending on what route you take at that time. It's new-to-you, so enjoy it and save your time and trouble for things that WILL break on that used vehicle between now and then.

A lot of East Coast shops use Randy Long:

Long's Mechanical Services
R.D. 1, Box 685-K
74 Risbon Road
Honey Brook PA 19344

610-286-5870

That being said, when I did the top-end on my R60/5 last year, I did install dual-plugs as part of a performance increase. THe R60/5 has an oddball camshaft profile and is ping-prone. In 1980, when leaded Premium went out of style, I installed "Low Test" base gaskets which lowered the compression from 9.6:1 t0 8.5:1 and allowed the bike to use Regular, with a slight performance hit. Last top-end job, I went back to the "normal" base gaskets, raised the CR back up and dual-plugged the beast. Allows the engine to burn Regular with a high-compression engine. Minor increase in oomph for the money spent, but I wanted to do it...

--Bill
Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,183
You could check with Anton. He's in your neck of the woods.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
magrahamkp08 OP
Adventurer

I suppose i could browse the internet for hours trying to find find high compression pistons and 1000cc barrels. But im sure somebody here already knows the information and is willing to pass along. i saw max bmw has a 1000cc kit, but it doesnt give much details on the website other than its a simple swap.

I rode this thing all summer long. but going on trips with my buddy who has the speed triple 1050. I was lagging way too far behind. I understand 25 years of technology and 250cc is a lot to ask out of an 86 R80. But if i could just get some more HP out of it i would be happy.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,552
The kit on Max's site is probably the Siebenrock kit, which is really nice. ABout a grand? maybe 1200 but you would need the bigger heads I think, so it would get a little bit pricier, I think. Or can you just put R80 heads on an R100? I thought the strokes were the same and the bores were different. Dual plugging those would be mo money mo money

I was ambivilent before, but now i like dual plugging just for the redundancy

Making it an R100 is probably the best/fastest/easiest way to make it a faster bike.

Becuase I've never quite thought of it before, you have to cut another hole in the head and thread it for plugs, yes? Thats the trick?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,419
Quote:
I suppose i could browse the internet for hours trying to find find high compression pistons and 1000cc barrels. But im sure somebody here already knows the information and is willing to pass along. i saw max bmw has a 1000cc kit, but it doesnt give much details on the website other than its a simple swap.

I rode this thing all summer long. but going on trips with my buddy who has the speed triple 1050. I was lagging way too far behind. I understand 25 years of technology and 250cc is a lot to ask out of an 86 R80. But if i could just get some more HP out of it i would be happy.
Max (and just about everyone else) sells the siebenrock 1000cc kit. It's got a CR of 9.5:1, so dual plugging would be useful in that case. The higher CR will get you more power, but sticking with the R80's lower final drive ratio won't help your gas mileage. You still definitely will not even come close to being able to hang with a speed triple.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
magrahamkp08 OP
Adventurer

Yeah i am well aware i wont be hanging with the Speed Triple. But currently its rough going on the bmw. When we go on shorter rides i take my Triumph Thruxton with merely an exhaust on it. And it is "enough" power to go for rides.
The bmw was bought for comfort and looks. I really dig it. But as with everything i own with a motor, it just needs more HP.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
magrahamkp08 OP
Adventurer

All this talk brings up another question. I have been running premium gas in the bmw. Is this just wasting money?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,552
Quote:
All this talk brings up another question. I have been running premium gas in the bmw. Is this just wasting money?
If its not pinging, yep.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
If its not pinging, yep.
If a '86 R80 with a compression ratio of 8.2:1 is pinging it doesn't need premium, it needs repairs.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,662
I wouldn't dual plug unless I was raising CR. I just dual plugged my bike but I also just raised my CR to a guestimated 10.0:1 CR. There is no way in hell I would do that without dual plugging. Before that, I had it running pretty damn good on 8.5:1 CR. I personally think that is about the best CR for single plugged airheads.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
I am thinking more that if the R80 does not have enough oomph and is pinging, it has other issues. Get those fixed and you just may find that it will run just fine as is.

The R80 was not designed to keep up with a speed triple, and never will. You have the Thruxton, use that to play with the Triple and use the R80 for what it was designed for.

Back in the day, the R80 with the Alpine gears was designed for playing the twistie roads in the mountains. They were very good at it, back then. It will never keep up with the newer canyon carvers, but by leaving it somewhat stock, you can have a lot of fun doing what it was designed to do. Remember that all airheads do like to rev.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote