Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #31
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,444
From the car world you could also put something like one of the none water based antifreezes in a scooter. They run up to 10 to 15 F less.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #32
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Thanks for the responses. Hmmm.. After reading all of this, im thinking maybe just going back to regular motorcycle would work better for me, maybe. Thanks!
I dont see how a motorcycle would be any different other than the fact that you would have to shift more and have less storage space.

the cooling factors would be the same wouldnt they?

anyway, I am scooter only and I know another person who is and in some other countries scooters are more common than cars.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #33
Mrnoital
Banned

Oddometer: 8
I've owned many scooters. If you want something that will do everything look a 400cc scooter. (and possible the latest 300cc by Kymco and others) You can do anything you want on a Burgman 400. If you want basically a local commuter with very limited highway runs, a 250cc will work, some better than others. A Honda helix, of which I own two, do not make good highway bikes. They are not very stable at high speeds to begin with and any amount of wind can make the trip down right scary.

I've owned bigger scooter ( 600cc Swing) which I thought was just too big and bulky and used too much gas for my purpose.
Mrnoital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #34
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Hmm, traditional m/c hot engine between the legs. Doesn't sound like a better choice for Arizona to me. I know in Houston it is far more comfortable to ride one of the scoots during the summer than it is to ride a m/c.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #35
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,549
I have 3 motorcycles, a 1500 Goldwing, A Kawasaki Vulcan 750, and a Yamaha XT225. The Goldwing is a huge beast I would only recommend for long distance touring. It is NOT a commuter. But the other two make great commuters, and even the 750 is much smaller and lighter than a Burgman 650. It will cruise all day long at 80 mph GPS, only halfway to redline. It is a breeze to handle around town, because it is so narrow, and has large wheels. I would say it is most likely to ride thn ANY maxi scooter. The XT225 is basically a mountain bike with an engine. It handles the same way on the street as a mountain bike, but can be ridden on interstate highways (not recommended for Phoenix urban freeways that have several times more traffic than interstate highways do out of town). The only real disadvantage to a motorcycle is you have to shift. But you can get a much larger cc motorcycle, with way better handling for less than the cost of a maxi scooter. While I have not ridden on Phoenix freeways with a 250cc scooter, I have ridden a Ninja 250 on them with no problem, it will top 100 mph easily, and cost about half of what a decent maxi scooter does. Or if you want comfort, look at a Yamaha V-Star 650. Plenty of power, half the size and weight of a Burgman 650, and VERY simple maintenance. IMO, most maxi scooters are just to maintenance intensive. They don't NEED to be, but for some reason, the manufacturers designed them that way.

All my scooters (Zuma 125, Vino 125, Stella 150 2 stroke) are great for around town, and can be ridden cross country if you avoid freeways. I have put 20,000+ miles on the '08 Vino bought new. With the way freeway traffic is around Phoenix during rush hour, you could actually save time by taking surface streets. A 125 scooter may not be that fast, but it is quick, allowing you to zip around almost like a bicycle, and there is no shifting.

If you really want 2 wheels in the Phoenix heat, I suggest either a 125-150cc scooter, or if you are determined to ride on the freeway, a motorcycle. I had to give up sportbikes, due to the extreme riding position that caused extreme pain. But a cruiser or dual sport is comfortable, a dual sport also gives you off road capability
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #36
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
There ya go. The riding position of most cycles, is what sent me to scooters in the end.

That and, all that shifting in traffic and in passing situations, gets old. Hey...I've got a CDL and i've driven tractor-trailers with nine-speed gearboxes. I've got nothing to prove...when I'm on two wheels, I want to enjoy, not be hassled or be counting gears...forget top gear for ten miles...miss N at a light, dump the clutch and try not to drop the bike...who needs it?
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #37
Mrnoital
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I I have ridden a Ninja 250 on them with no problem, it will top 100 mph easily, and cost about half of what a decent maxi scooter does.
You obviously don't like the Burgman 650 and that's fine but I have to respond to the above claim.

I own a 2007 Ninja 250 among other bikes and it will most certainly not easily top 100 mph. Given enough room ( many miles) perfect weather, a tail wind, no hills and tucked in an rolled up like a meatball, a rider who knows what he is doing might hit an indicated 100mph but it wont achieve those speeds "easily" and it probably wont be a true 100mph and the poor little ninja will be screaming. The fact is a ninja 250 does'nt even "easily" cruise at 75mph. The engine is pushing 9500 RPMs at 75mph and it takes every last breath to pass at that speed. Sure you can get it to go faster.. if you have enough road and enough time. The Ninja is more highway capable than my Honda helix but not by a whole lot. The TS asked about scooters. A Burgman 400 would make a much better highway bike compared to a Ninja 250 IMO.

As far as comparing the cost of a 250cc motorcycle with a 500 or 600cc scooter. I don't understand why you would expect them to be comparable?

Mrnoital screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 08:17 PM
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #38
Mrnoital
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
There ya go. The riding position of most cycles, is what sent me to scooters in the end.
I'm the opposite, I own both and I'm always looking for ways to support my back on my scooters. I could never live with a race bike but the upright standard bikes feel more comfortable to me compared to my scooters. At least for longer trips.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #39
KennyT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hi Mrnoital

Welcome to the forum! I see we are the same age as well...
I think you will like it here. Sometimes discussions can get a it heated, but other than that,it is all great!
Ken
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrnoital View Post
You obviously don't like the Burgman 650 and that's fine but I have to respond to the above claim.

I own a 2007 Ninja 250 among other bikes and it will most certainly not easily top 100 mph. Given enough room ( many miles) perfect weather, a tail wind, no hills and tucked in an rolled up like a meatball, a rider who knows what he is doing might hit an indicated 100mph but it wont achieve those speeds "easily" and it probably wont be a true 100mph and the poor little ninja will be screaming. The fact is a ninja 250 does'nt even "easily" cruise at 75mph. The engine is pushing 9500 RPMs at 75mph and it takes every last breath to pass at that speed. Sure you can get it to go faster.. if you have enough road and enough time. The Ninja is more highway capable than my Honda helix but not by a whole lot. The TS asked about scooters. A Burgman 400 would make a much better highway bike compared to a Ninja 250 IMO.

As far as comparing the cost of a 250cc motorcycle with a 500 or 600cc scooter. I don't understand why you would expect them to be comparable?
According to all the magazine tests, the older Ninja 250's would top out right around 100, with the rider tucked in and plenty of room......and lots of RPMs The newer ones top out around 93. Remember, just like scooters, many motorcycles have optimistic speedos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrnoital View Post
I'm the opposite, I own both and I'm always looking for ways to support my back on my scooters. I could never live with a race bike but the upright standard bikes feel more comfortable to me compared to my scooters. At least for longer trips.
I tend to agree 0n this since the riding position of my scooters is harder on my back than either of my motorcycles.. On the other hand, my scooters have better seats, especially my Aprilia.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #41
hacksaw55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I,m 6'7" 245 on a Yamaha Morphous i love it. I just want to do some long distance touring so i'm selling looking foe something bigger.The Morphous will do 80 with just me and 70 with my wife that puts it at the weight limit but rides nicer with the two up because of the suspension. I do like the scoot only real problem for me is accessories.If I were where you are I'd go small dualsport.
hacksaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,549
My '03 Ninja 250 topped out at a GPS 108 mph, with me tucked in, that was with a one tooth larger than stock front sprocket. Yes it was near redline, but those small engines with low reciprocating weight can run at high speeds for extended periods of time. BTW, I weigh 220.

My problem with the Burgman 650 is it's bulk, weight, and especially width. My 1500 Goldwing is actually easier for me to ride because it is narrower, seems to have a lower COG, and it's fairing is actually less obstructing as far as being able to tell where the front wheel is. I was going to go from the Goldwing to a maxi scooter because I have some medical issues that make it difficult to handle the Goldwing in tight spots, and I'm afraid I may someday drop it at a stoplight. But after trying most of the maxi scooters, I found they were even harder to handle.

I find the Zuma 125 and the Vino 125 very comfortable, and the Stella tolerable, though the bars are a bit low and the seat is narrow. I would say the Vulcan 750 is the most comfortable of the bunch, it has a very comfortable seat, grips and pegs are in exactly the right place, and I have a Protac backrest. The backrest more than anything else contributes to it's comfort, as it helps give you some back support, rather than you having to use your muscles alone to hold yourself up. It's like riding a recliner. I do not have a backrest for the Goldwing, if I keep it I will definitely get one, but since at the moment I plan to sell it, it would just be money wasted.

Another reason I wanted a maxi scooter is the lack of shifting. I have severe arthritis and fibromyalgia, and riding through town can be very painful for both my left hand and ankle. Out on the highway, where I spend most of my time, it doesn't matter so much.

I still can't believe anyone would want a bike of any kind for commuting in the Phoenix heat during the 6 month plus summer. Get the cheapest, most boring car you can find, with A/C and automatic. In the summer in Phoenix, A/C is worth it's weight in gold, maybe more. Save the bikes for fun. I ride at night and early morning hours in the summer, sometimes getting up at 3:00 AM and heading up into the mountains for an all day ride, then waiting until after dark to come back.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #43
rbomb
Rather Be On My Bike

Oddometer: 40
One for every motorcycle.....thats what I got and it works quiet well.
rbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #44
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I tend to agree 0n this since the riding position of my scooters is harder on my back than either of my motorcycles.. On the other hand, my scooters have better seats, especially my Aprilia.
Probably depends on what it is that causes your back pain. I found the Burgman 400 to give me back pain after 400 miles in one day but I can do 580 in one day (even after doing 525 miles the day before) without pain on my Scarabeo 500IE. I can do it without back pain but with butt pain on the BV 500 as well but an airhaw solved the butt pain issue on the BV and the Burgman but thankfully isn't needed on the Scarabeo.

The foot forward riding position of a Burgman or similar maxiscoot and cruiser m/c just doesn't work for me.(Doing a back stretch just thinking about riding distance on a Burgman again. :) )
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #45
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Probably depends on what it is that causes your back pain. I found the Burgman 400 to give me back pain after 400 miles in one day but I can do 580 in one day (even after doing 525 miles the day before) without pain on my Scarabeo 500IE. I can do it without back pain but with butt pain on the BV 500 as well but an airhaw solved the butt pain issue on the BV and the Burgman but thankfully isn't needed on the Scarabeo.

The foot forward riding position of a Burgman or similar maxiscoot and cruiser m/c just doesn't work for me.(Doing a back stretch just thinking about riding distance on a Burgman again. :) )
The best riding position for me is upright with my feet under me, the riding position on my KLR650 is about perfect. Both of my scooters have an upright seating position but my feet end up somewhat forward, although not as much as most of the maxi scooters. My Sport city really bothered my back at first but I have gotten used to it. I think that certain muscles in my back just needed strengthening. Now that I am used to it, my sport city has become my most comfortable bike for long distance riding. I have sat on a Scarabeo 500 and I like the riding position. My Aprilia dealer has a new Scarabeo 500 for $4999 It's tempting but my next bike will probably be something like a Kawasaki Versys.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote