User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
true confessions: doing the stupid cager thing to other bikers

i had a perfect record of never having copped a horn blast, middle finger or abuse from another biker when i'm driving.

but recently i eased out into an intersection slowly due to the sun being in my eyes, after trying to make sure nothing was coming.

next thing there's the squeal of a locked up rear wheel and an XR650 stopped just short of my car's front fender. heaps of angry gestures from him, lots of apologetic gestures through the windscreen from me, and he took off again.

anyone else with true confessions of temporarily acting like a typical cager?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnok View Post
... i eased out ...
I would hardly call that typical of a cager!

I have yet to ever cause a rider any grief, but I sure do holler whenever I happen to be inside a cage where the current driver does!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,912
I gave Monkeyfez the adv salute from inside the Jeep once.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
I have yet to ever cause a rider any grief, but I sure do holler whenever I happen to be inside a cage where the current driver does!
likewise. non-riding buddies of min change lanes without indicating. or change lanes fast with a 0.5 second warning of the indicators. i try to diplomatically explain why these moves are very dangerous bikers and just get blank stares or grunts in reply.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
2slo
Old and Immature

Oddometer: 338
My wife - who I love very much - is a hazard to navigation. She is just a terrible driver and I often wonder how she gets home alive.
2slo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,914
I was heading West out of Phoenix on I 10 one night with my camper on my truck. I had pulled off for a cup of coffee, it was dark and the freeway was a construction zone.

As I'm getting back on the interstate I realize the construction barricades block a decent view of traffic that your trying to merge with. After I'm almost on the freeway I see a bike about a car length or so back. I think the car behind me actually cut him off.

There was nowhere for anyone to go there, except accelerate to get out of the way. If I had a shoulder I'd have used it, if I'd have stopped, the car behind me would have hit me and the bike probably hit him.

I keep trying to figure out what I could have done differently.

AKjeff screwed with this post 06-22-2011 at 05:12 PM
AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,929
My worst offense was cutting off a chick on a bike (kinda hot too ) when I changed lanes without bothering to headcheck. I knew the spot was previously clear since the car occupying it had just turned left and changed lanes to my left without looking over my shoulder first. Well, there was a chickonabike there. She was not next to me but I did swoop pretty damn close in front of her. No honking or gesturing or anything but had I been in her position I would have been fairly annoyed.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,009
It happens to us all, and not just when we are in cars. I've turned across in front of an oncoming bike art an intersection - I simply didn't see him AND I was on my bike at the time!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
... the construction barricades block a decent view of traffic that your trying to merge with. After I'm almost on the freeway I see a bike about a car length or so back. I think the car behind me actually cut him off.

There was nowhere for anyone to go there, except accelerate to get out of the way ...

I keep trying to figure out what I could have done differently.
It sounds to me like you did all you could, and that rider likely understood.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
1982. I flew down to Phoenix with a friend to buy my then dream car (Triumph TR-6) Limited time and flush with money wanting to do the perfect Fly and Buy... Get the car, off to the coast up 101/1 cut back to Portland... sight see in Oregon some, then hit HWY 12 on the way back to back to Missoula, MT.

Being from Montana I had never seen or even heard of lane sharing. My eyes were opened as I am drifting around in my lane a bit as traffic slowed somewhere near L.A. and I get the Beep Beep from a rider I had almost forced into the rear bumper of the car in the next lane just ahead.

I remember talking about what an ass the rider was for doing something so dangerous. Then there was another... and another... and another. Our conversation went from "those riders are idiots" to "that is cool as hell." After stopping for fuel in Santa Barbara and learning that it was the norm and quite legal I went to an Auto parts store and invested in one of these:

NO BLIND SPOTS!!! Vowing to never again be surprised by a rider and also vowing to return on a bike and ride CA!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
chickonabike .
Sounds like the name for a tastey snack!

I'd be a liar if I said I was perfect.
More than once, I've pulled out in front of a person on a M.C. because I didn't see them.
Once or twice has been in the spring and they were wearing their Camo neon green riding suit that helped them blend right into the trees and they were rounding a corner so that their headlight either wasn't visible to me or it wasn't on high beam and therefore not yet aimed in my line of sight. (you can't avoid what you can't see)

I've also done the same thing when they appeared WAY back there but, were then right on top of me in an instant because they were going way over the speed limit. (which, if they hadn't been speeding would have given me plenty of time to pull out and accelerate away from them while still maintaining a safe distance between us)

If you notice here that I'm putting most of the blame on them, you'd be right. As careful as you are, some one will/can always do something that contributes to their own hazards. I always look twice to make sure but, you can't always count on people to not be doing something stupid that negates the thought you put into a situation.

F.W.I.W. I always place all the responsability for my own safety on myself and anticipate the "what ifs" because I know no one is a perfect driver no matter how hard they try. (my own "I didn't see him" momments have proven this to me)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 AM   #12
Korben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Just the once about 12 years ago. Way before I got into bikes.

Just a simple right turn into a car park. Didn't see him coming in the opposite direction. My then girlfriend saw him and just screamed stop. I slammed on the brakes and he swung it round the bonnet of my car.

If it wasn't for the girlfriend he would have been embedded in my front left wing... Wasn't into bikes then and vowed to myself at that point I would never ride a motorbike... Yeah. That didn't pan out.

Tour 1. Wales: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468598
Korben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #13
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
One time at band camp......oh wait.....one time when I was driving the wifes Patriot for the first time I started to change lanes then caught a guy on a sport bike sitting in my blind spot....he honked I jerked the wheel back....felt bad but he probably shouldn't have been hanging in the blind spot...still my bad though....he should have had loud pipes then I may have heard him
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slo View Post
My wife - who I love very much - is a hazard to navigation. She is just a terrible driver and I often wonder how she gets home alive.
I wonder if our wives are related? I try not to ride in the car with my wife unless I am driving. She scares the crap out of me. Doesn't have accidents though. I wonder if this is because other people are just avoiding her (driving defensively).

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
If I ever did this would be the last place I would admit having done that ........ Thankfully I haven't, yet.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote