Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #31
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,901
I wear an Arai XD-3 (XD-4 is the newer version) with Quickstraps, goggles and the face shield up when riding dirt. And the face shield is really nice to have when it's raining, or when you're riding on the street. The helmet is quiet, and I increasingly wear it instead of my street HJC when I'm riding pavement. If you want a helmet with superb ventilation, buy the Klim F4. No face shield, though.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #32
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
And todays flat trackers wear road race helmets...

Is Supermoto still around?

Supermot is still quite alive and well where more people actually appreciate motorcycle racing - Europe

Sure flat trackers do, more aerodynamic as well, but check out the Peoria TT where speeds will still reach over 100 on the straight (at least according to what Henry Wiles told us when we ran into him at the Outback Steakhouse after the spring Springfield Mile... great kid):

Just sayin...

Relating to another post about some riders complaints of neck strain, it is all in how one carries their head when riding. Stick it up in the air high enough and even a full face road helmet will catch the wind.

I don't, therefore I have no issue. Many don't, thus the reason why a lot of us dual sport/supermoto style motorcycle riders like either the MX or dual sport helmets. They're cooler running in hot weather, the visor is great on bright sunny days, but the MX type with goggles suck when you're caught in the rain. Dual sport helmets work for us in virtually all conditions.

Personally I'm going to get some really close fitting wrap around prescription glasses to fit inside my dual sport helmet so I can easily run faceshield up more often. I'm also going to keep my eye out for a killer deal on an Arai if they fit me well. I'm sold on the dual sport helmet for my kind of riding, though I will still have a street helmet for more extreme cold and also an MX helmet for the hot sunny days.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 07:40 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #33
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,063
Mark - Great pic! I guess they use all kinds of different helmets for different speeds of racing.

I never had a problem with my kneck wearing my Arai XD or Shoie Hornet (4 years on each). The Hornet doesn't work well with my KTM690, though, so I bought a street helmet. I think the sharp chinbar grabs the slipstream more than the peak, though. he Arai chinbar isn't hearly so sharp.

For me the best part of the XD and Hornet style is the very wide face opening. It feels a bit like an open face helmet. I bought the Nolan N43E for my KTM because it also has a wide face opening, but is a more aero shape for dealing with the buffeting I get on that bike.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #34
kabluie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I was just down at brucerossmeyer.com Harley Davidson's dealership near Daytona Beach Fla and saw some new goggles that are on the market. They can be worn over glasses, and darken or lighten according to the local conditions. I tried a pair on and they were confortable, but I would wear them under the helmet instead of outside the helmet if I were to go that route. I just looked on their website and didn't see them so they are new enough that their webmaster hasn't gotten to them yet. If you're interested, you can contact them and I'm sure they would help you out. The prices were in the high twenties to the mid thirties.

Yeah, I know it a Harley place, but if they sell something you can use, perhaps you can suffer the harley stuff to get what you need or works for you.

Kabluie
Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #35
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,767
I just wear Scott OTG goggles whenever I am in glasses instead of contacts. The only issue with those is the foam is pretty coarse so you have to oil it for really heavy dust. They don't let enough dust through to bother your eyes. But they will eventually coat the inside of the lens unless you oil the foam.

But all that open foam is also why they don't fog your glasses. Look back at that pictue I posted last page. If they don't fog in those conditions they never will. Dirt cheap and effective.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #36
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Supermot is still quite alive and well where more people actually appreciate motorcycle racing - Europe

Sure flat trackers do, more aerodynamic as well, but check out the Peoria TT where speeds will still reach over 100 on the straight (at least according to what Henry Wiles told us when we ran into him at the Outback Steakhouse after the spring Springfield Mile... great kid):

Just sayin...

Relating to another post about some riders complaints of neck strain, it is all in how one carries their head when riding. Stick it up in the air high enough and even a full face road helmet will catch the wind.

I don't, therefore I have no issue. Many don't, thus the reason why a lot of us dual sport/supermoto style motorcycle riders like either the MX or dual sport helmets. They're cooler running in hot weather, the visor is great on bright sunny days, but the MX type with goggles suck when you're caught in the rain. Dual sport helmets work for us in virtually all conditions.

Personally I'm going to get some really close fitting wrap around prescription glasses to fit inside my dual sport helmet so I can easily run faceshield up more often. I'm also going to keep my eye out for a killer deal on an Arai if they fit me well. I'm sold on the dual sport helmet for my kind of riding, though I will still have a street helmet for more extreme cold and also an MX helmet for the hot sunny days.
100 MPH at Peoria?...... That one won't pass the Truth Squad test. Sorry Hank...
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #37
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 493
XD-3 here as well. It's only a little bit louder in clean air than my RF-1000 was, but in rough air it was REALLY loud; once I fixed the windshield, life was good. Some air gets in even with all the vents closed; you can't seal it off quite as well as a pure street helmet.

Goggles fit under the shield, and the rubber seal is even designed so you can close the shield over straps. Shields are a bitch to change, so I just use tinted goggles. A pinlock takes care of the fogging on rainy days (no goggles tho).

Having the peak is great--I never realized how helpful it was until I went back out in the RF-1000 early in the morning and was constantly cursing the sun in my face. Once I got my windshield adjusted correctly, I've never had any issues with the wind catching the peak when I turn my head or look up. Even on my KLR with the stock (tiny) shield, I can ride all day without any more fatigue than I had with a street helmet.

If I lived somewhere where it actually got cold, I'd probably have a street helmet with a chin curtain for cold weather, but the XD-3 is fine for California.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote