User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 510
SV650 Adventure (AKA franken bike)

OK here is a new build for everyone to comment on.

Purchase 2005 SV650 from local salvage yard in Feb 2012. I was planning on a Ninja build but this deal came up and looks promising. Hope to add some MX forks, real handlebars and tires then see how it looks from there.

Here it is as purchased

I spent a few hours cleaning it up and found a less damaged radiator from a Gen 1 SV so I could register it and ride for awhile.

Love that dorky headlight from fleabay

All was well and she ran very nice. So I went home to change the oil and found the oil drain was almost clogged tight with aluminum chips.

What are the odds of a guy totalling his bike right before then engine blew up, oh well time to pull it apart.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

So I put it all back together and started on the triple clamps for my 2001 YZ450 forks.

Found a way to avoid buying that $129 press at harborfreight, use .625 dia allthread.

I'm currently working the brake caliper mounting. May have handle bars next week so I can sit on it and go "VROOOOM VROOOOM"
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721

So what was wrong with the engine?

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

I did not find any obvious damage, just a large amount of aluminum filings in the bottom of the tranny. I replaced the mains and rod bearings and checked the clearance on the cam bearings. The word on SVRIDER is that these engines can get oil starved on the front cylinder if you pull long wheelies so I assumed the rod bearing must have been about to go.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Thats salada fork

You planning on stretching out the rear?

Congrats on the sv, I think thats an awesome candidate for a frankenbike

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
What are the odds of a guy totalling his bike right before then engine blew up, oh well time to pull it apart.
More like 'this thing sounds like it's going to come apart. Better throw it out of the back of a moving pick-up and tell the insurance co. a deer ran out in front of me'.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

SV650 mod threads

Here are a couple of threads that I found to be helpful:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288338
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283894
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680675

In addition to all of the great threads on this forum.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

Not too sure about the rear end. I'm going to run a GSX750 shock which is longer but no more travel. It does have adjustable damping unlike the stock one. I also has an SV1000 shock that is a heavier spring but the same travel and dimensions as the stock one.

Either way lengthening the swing arm by a couple of inches might be of some help. I've considered machining a block to fit inside the existing arm and extend it back just far enough to put the axle in place. It is already about 62 inch wheelbase as it sits.

For starters I'm going to try for about the same rake as my KTM450 and see how it handles. Can't tell how much sag I'm going to get on the front until the engine is in.

In any case I had hoped to get this build down to about 375 lbs or less empty. Not sure if that is possible or not, the weight estimates published vary quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Thats salada fork

You planning on stretching out the rear?

Congrats on the sv, I think thats an awesome candidate for a frankenbike
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Hey no fair u have a mill! Very nice job on the clamps, is that a CNC or did u do that all manual? Either way very nice!
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 708
yea ! more sv adventure bike !

I really like it ! wish I had your drive !
Thanks,Ed
pennswoodsed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

ktmklx
The mill is a cnc. Not too reliable but it works for now. Kinda home made controller software and a gallil motion card. Hope it hold out until I get the foot pegs re-located and whatever shift lever, brake lever things I need to make.

pennswoodsed
We will see how long my drive lasts, I didn't plan on a re-build on the motor. Should be ready to put the motor back in after I get the brake and clutch and switch wiring adjusted for the new bars.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Just a shot in the dark here but I once compared my Sv swinger to the one from a wee and it looked it was highly possible that it would bolt up being that it also had the left offset shock, the rest can be cut or turned to fit.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
LordMDP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
I did not find any obvious damage, just a large amount of aluminum filings in the bottom of the tranny. I replaced the mains and rod bearings and checked the clearance on the cam bearings. The word on SVRIDER is that these engines can get oil starved on the front cylinder if you pull long wheelies so I assumed the rod bearing must have been about to go.
he probably laid it down and engine kept running starving the front cyl.

wera ex #308
LordMDP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
The first one is not very possible with the tipover sensor, mine only ran for about a second after if fell.

The second seems more likely, however I used to wheelie mine just about daily and it went 70k miles trouble free, it's those mile long wheelies and 12 o clock wheelies that really kill them, I know a few stunt guys that would love them if not for that lol.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
The first one is not very possible with the tipover sensor, mine only ran for about a second after if fell.

The second seems more likely, however I used to wheelie mine just about daily and it went 70k miles trouble free, it's those mile long wheelies and 12 o clock wheelies that really kill them, I know a few stunt guys that would love them if not for that lol.
I can see this is going to be a real problem for me, just can't resist pulling up the front end after leaving the bar at 2:00 AM, NOT.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
Just a shot in the dark here but I once compared my Sv swinger to the one from a wee and it looked it was highly possible that it would bolt up being that it also had the left offset shock, the rest can be cut or turned to fit.
I was looking at that but was not sure that it would help much. Do you know how long the Vstrom swingarm is? I assumed the shock and linkage are about the same. May be a little more travel.

The Vstrom 7.5 project used a Cogent shock so I was going to give them a call and see about using one of their units. I'll have to save my pennies for awhile to swing that.