User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Benjd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
New KTM 690 owner, radiator leak

Hi guys! new member here. I had a few questions regarding my KTM 690 radiator leak, after reading through the thread on here discussing the fan shroud wearing a hole in the radiator. I should start by saying I just bought a 2008 KTM 690 SMC with 2400mi. I checked it out really good and test drove it before I bought it, rode it around quite a bit the day after buying it to get used to it, etc. The 3rd day I really rode it, I did quite a few wheelies, took it off road, etc...just rode the bike how it should be ridden. Well, it developed a radiator leak, that by the time I got home it was BAD. This evening I'm going to attempt to identify the cause, but I'm thinking it could possibly be the issue other mentioned about the fan housing. My question is, if I identified the fan housing as the culprit, would KTM cover it as a defect?

This bike hasn't been down since I've had it, and the previous owner who seemed to be a conservative rider and honest person, said he never laid it down either.

I'm really bummed. My DRZ 440 blew up from a defective flywheel which resulted in no bike to ride and parting out my DRZ...just got this KTM, and having problems already. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Benjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjd View Post
Hi guys! new member here. I had a few questions regarding my KTM 690 radiator leak, after reading through the thread on here discussing the fan shroud wearing a hole in the radiator. I should start by saying I just bought a 2008 KTM 690 SMC with 2400mi. I checked it out really good and test drove it before I bought it, rode it around quite a bit the day after buying it to get used to it, etc. The 3rd day I really rode it, I did quite a few wheelies, took it off road, etc...just rode the bike how it should be ridden. Well, it developed a radiator leak, that by the time I got home it was BAD. This evening I'm going to attempt to identify the cause, but I'm thinking it could possibly be the issue other mentioned about the fan housing. My question is, if I identified the fan housing as the culprit, would KTM cover it as a defect?

This bike hasn't been down since I've had it, and the previous owner who seemed to be a conservative rider and honest person, said he never laid it down either.

I'm really bummed. My DRZ 440 blew up from a defective flywheel which resulted in no bike to ride and parting out my DRZ...just got this KTM, and having problems already. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you deal with a good dealer that will go to bat for you they should be able to get KTM to replace it on their dime.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Radiator should be an easy fix. We've wrecked a lot of them in road racing.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,393
Sure, fixing it wouldn't be hard, but that's not the point. It's KTM's faulty design that causes the damage in the first place, they should replace it.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Benjd OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree with Albie. I haven't laid the bike down, and maintenance hasn't been neglected, however, I need my bike back up and running soon, so I'm thinking it may just be faster and easier to take it to a radiator repair shop. I think the fan is the culprit, but there's also a damaged area where outside of the fan assembly area. I don't know much about radiators...can any of you identify the cause by these pictures? Also, would taking it to a local radiator repair shop be a viable option?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Without looking at it:

Take it to a rad shop and see if they can fix it economically.

Then... Again, I can't see exactly how it's built, but shim the fan away from the rad.

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
stef
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
this might be of some help, looks like the fan connector and shroud did some damage to yours. when replacing your rad, ensure the connector is tied towards the back away from the rad tubes.

http://www.690owners.info/Main/Modifications
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,996
Have you found coolant coming out of that fan wear area? Those friction points do not look bad enough to leak...not saying there isn't a pinhole leak. For quick rad repairs check out Myler's. For the future get some 3mm silicon vacuum line and cut one side open...slide it over the edge of the fan and then reinstall the top bolt with an extra washer.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
A radiator shop can pressurize the radiator and find and fix the leak pretty economically.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Benjd OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the tips guys. I just dropped the radiator off at a local and reputable radiator shop. They said the leak is coming from all the little holes caused by the fan housing. The good news is it will be done today, and only costing me $35. I'm a bit dissapointed KTM didn't issue a recall on this, and that I've had an issue with this bike only a few days into ownership. This is my 3rd KTM (had a 2000 380exc and 07 250sx) that were great bikes, hopefully this is a one off issue. My girlfriend nearly killed me when she saw me taking a part another bike...lol.

2 more questions: Where would I find the 3mm silicone hosing? Home Depot? Without starting a huge debate....does it really matter if I use Motorex coolant or not? I called around and haven't been able to find any. Will Engine Ice do the trick?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys. I just dropped the radiator off at a local and reputable radiator shop. They said the leak is coming from all the little holes caused by the fan housing. The good news is it will be done today, and only costing me $35. I'm a bit dissapointed KTM didn't issue a recall on this, and that I've had an issue with this bike only a few days into ownership. This is my 3rd KTM (had a 2000 380exc and 07 250sx) that were great bikes, hopefully this is a one off issue. My girlfriend nearly killed me when she saw me taking a part another bike...lol.

2 more questions: Where would I find the 3mm silicone hosing? Home Depot? Without starting a huge debate....does it really matter if I use Motorex coolant or not? I called around and haven't been able to find any. Will Engine Ice do the trick?

I shouldn't have specified silicon as any rubber vacuum tubing from an autoparts store will work. 1/4" or 3 mm size will probably be good. Silicon is nice because it lasts a while and holds up to the heat.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Benjd OP
Adventurer

Cool, thanks Seth. Any comment on coolant?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Cool, thanks Seth. Any comment on coolant?

Yes, when the bike is fixed I suggest you put it back in. If you don't run the $150 bottle of Motorex coolant the world will in fact end. ...That said I think i am running a 50/50 mix of whatever coolant I got out of the local autoparts store.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Benjd OP
Adventurer

Well, I'd hate for the world to end...motorex it is! Thanks for all the help guys....ready to get back on the saddle.

First day on her:
Old 10-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,435
Was washing the bike last weekend after some more mud riding and noticed some detergent coming out of my radiator. After some preliminary inspections it looks like I have a leak around the fan Will pull it to bits latter today and report back but reading this thread it looks like I'm not the only one to who's experienced this problem
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote