User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
DevinBodony OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
KTM 640 Adventure Instrument Problem

Hey, all, just spent a bit looking through previous threads, but didn't find a definitive answer unfortunately. I was just finishing buttoning up my bike after changing the oil, checking valve lash, etc. I rolled my bike to the shop door in order to get the exhaust outside while I started up the bike to do the last part of the oil bleed procedure. I turned on the bike and checked for neutral, everything started up happily , the oil dribbled as it's supposed to etc. etc. When I went to turn off the ignition (having killed the engine with the kill switch when the oil did it's thing), I noticed that the dash had gone dead, no display whatsoever. With 15-20 minutes of inspection I didn't notice any loose connections, all fuses seemed to be fine etc. I'm headed back to the shop to see if any of the other things people had posted are possible causes, but thought I'd post something to see if anyone else had experienced this? Thanks,

-Devin
DevinBodony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 708
Probably not the same thing, but I just fixed a broken wire in the ignition switch that had the same symptoms (no dash lights, no turning over).

The wire was actually broken up in the insulation, so everything looked normal when I looked at it, until I grabbed each wire separately with pliers.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
DevinBodony OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks for the response, turned out there was a fuse I missed for the heated grips, that evidently is wired in with the dash, the contacts for the grip switch were loose when it happened and they must have grounded out to the frame or something. When I went back to the shop I dug a little deeper and found the other fuse housing, so all's well now. So good to have my bike back, hate leaving a project like that.

-D
DevinBodony is offline   Reply With Quote