Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #196
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 590
How about something like the RXV but more reliable. If Honda made something like that I could be very interested.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #197
Bluffskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I would like to see an updated XRL, then I would get one in a few-4ish years. But it would loose its simple aspect it has now.

A regular XRL with an FCR MX carb is an awesome bike for my use. You get low end power, and can keep up with the high speed 80+mph long distances of South Texas. I can swap to a 14T CS sprocket and pull 2nd gear wheelies and still hit 100 mph depending on how adjusted the head set bearings are.

If I lived up where I could ride off road more then I would like to see something like a 40 HP 400cc-ish bike, but my XRL does fine on the tough trails of Daisy State Park in South AR when I visit. Those trials were hard when I rode them on my RMX in the 90's.

That Honda XLV750R is sweet!!! Like awesome!! I would love have one of those.
Bluffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #198
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,010
Like I posted before, all the XRL lacks is a modern exhaust system, decent carberation and a suspension upgrade to be a great motorcycle. The bones are there. An aluminum and SS exhaust system alone would drop 15 to 20 pounds off the beast.

Throw on updated lighting and plastic to drop a couple of more pounds and give it fresh face. Maybe add EFI since that is so common now. That might allow them to pull the cork out of its ass and ditch the ridiculous smog crap tacked on to it now.

With those changes Honda could easily make it work much better and weigh a good bit less with very little investment in tooling.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #199
fourthree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
old is new again

"You meet the nicest people on a Honda" That's the ad slogan from the 60's, when Honda entered the US market. It seems that Honda is returning to their roots, economical, efficient, sensible machines that get the job done. No flash, no pizazz, just a 2 wheeled civic. This is what I see when I look at the crf250l and the nc700x. I want to like these bikes, but they just don't do it for me. High fenders and a narrow seat don't always make a motorcycle a dirt bike, and a beak does not make one an "adventure" bike. My head says buy the nc700, it will do most everything I want it for, for a relatively low price and with great fuel economy. But, my heart says get a tiger 800xc, just too sexy. Although, I've seen seen pictures of an '08? transalp, if Honda were to import those to the US, I would most likely buy one. But they won't, nor will they build the XR400L that many have begged for since the '90s. Too bad, love Honda, we've just grown apart over the years.
fourthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #200
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Remember the Yankee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
modern kawasaki EX500 there. nice.
could be a new motor for weber rally twins
or a modern take on the kawi kle500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLE500
that would be rocking!

Not sure if this closely correlates, but comes to my mind- Remember the Yankee?

The Yankee motorcycle is a motorcycle which was produced in Schenectady, New York by the Yankee Motor Company in the 1970s. This company was started by John Taylor, a long-time resident of that area.

The motorcycle used an air-cooled two-stroke engine, designed by Eduard Giró that was produced by the Ossa firm in Barcelona, Spain. The engine was a unique combination of two Ossa cylinders, that produced a twin-cylinder engine of near 500 cc capacity. The Yankee frame, designed with help from Dick Mann, and running gear were produced in the US, and the entire motorcycle was assembled in the Yankee plant on Campbell Avenue in Schenectady. (end quote)

When I was planning and preparing my '75 GT750 water buffalo for the Alaska Hwy. there was an article published about street-legal Yankees riding the Cassiar Hwy in BC. I recall discussing with my Suzuki how that 500cc twin two-stroke bike on a (then) dirt-bike chassis would be so cool for the gravel AK Hwy- what is now called adventure riding.

To bring it back to Honda, yep, put that modern engine in a decent adventure chassis, would be great. How great would it be if it were adventure-ready but could be configured or modified as a street ride!
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #201
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Like I posted before, all the XRL lacks is a modern exhaust system, decent carberation and a suspension upgrade to be a great motorcycle. The bones are there. An aluminum and SS exhaust system alone would drop 15 to 20 pounds off the beast.

Throw on updated lighting and plastic to drop a couple of more pounds and give it fresh face. Maybe add EFI since that is so common now. That might allow them to pull the cork out of its ass and ditch the ridiculous smog crap tacked on to it now.

With those changes Honda could easily make it work much better and weigh a good bit less with very little investment in tooling.
I agree......you uncork the xrl and add a good exhaust and jetting and the change is amazing.....in a whole nother league from stock. Plus some suspension revalving and its a great bike, tons of power and torque, plush suspension, great reliability, and super simple and hassle free to maintain. A few modern tweaks like you mentioned would be perfect.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #202
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:

Updating the air cooled single really can't be done. Air cooled motors are about to go the way of the two stroke because emmisions regulations are to stringent now. They run hot and they use fuel as a form of coolant to cylinder temps down, thus spewing out a lot of bad exhaust. That's why the carburation and smog equipment strangle the XR so much. As with any air cooled bike it's the same story. Harley's make a bunch more power when tuned, so do the Ducati L twins, and it's because they're tuned as lean as they can get out of the box otherwise they wont meet emmisions requirements.

It's time for a new bike. I'm not going to a dealership to buy a new XR650L that's basically my XL600R with an electric starter, a rear disk brake, and bigger forks.

Honda, just take the XR650R, change the chassis to suit, put road bits on it, keep the forks it's got, and sell it as a duel sport. I'm baffled as to why this didn't happen yet. Like back in the day Honda used it's new race single in the road bike FIRST. The XL600R came out in 83 and the XR600R didn't arrive until 1985. Now it's like the XR650R came out first in 2000 and like 13 years later and we're still waiting for the road version. Dafuq?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #203
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

While a bit on the Captain Obvious side, it is funny you should mention that since Honda just happens to still make the old XR650R engine only punched out and with EFI.

Can't update the old XL650R and meet EPA homolodation? That is fine with me. Just bring back the old XR650R chassis with that updated TRX700XX engine.

Keep that beast around 300 pounds and I would sell both KTM's tomorrow to buy it.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #204
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 8,997
I've always said that the XR650R engine is one of the finest built. The 5-speed tranny and lack of E-start are it's only handicap.
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #205
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,281
Why Settle for Just One?

EFI, water cooling and a six speed transmission for sure, but a 650 to keep the guys out west with all that high-speed dirt happy and a lighter 400 for the guys who want something for more technical stuff. Honda has the resources and the technical know-how to pretty much own this market space if they so choose.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #206
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Why did Honda get rid of the Water cooled XR 650R anyway?
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #207
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

The version of the 650R engine in their 700 ATV has electric start. I could care less about five speed. My LC4E is the best dual sport I have ever ridden and it has a five speed. The reverse on the ATV engine might be fun though.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 06:43 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #208
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
While a bit on the Captain Obvious side, it is funny you should mention that since Honda just happens to still make the old XR650R engine only punched out and with EFI.

Can't update the old XL650R and meet EPA homolodation? That is fine with me. Just bring back the old XR650R chassis with that updated TRX700XX engine.

Keep that beast around 300 pounds and I would sell both KTM's tomorrow to buy it.
Right? Just like the KLX650C Kawasaki used to make. An on road version of the KLX650R.

Now if I want a decent 600cc liquid cooled street legal thumper I have to buy a race bred KTM, or some ABS and traction controlled BMW, or worse yet a KLR.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #209
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Old is New

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthree View Post
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda" That's the ad slogan from the 60's, when Honda entered the US market. It seems that Honda is returning to their roots, economical, efficient, sensible machines that get the job done. No flash, no pizazz, just a 2 wheeled civic. This is what I see when I look at the crf250l and the nc700x. I want to like these bikes, but they just don't do it for me. High fenders and a narrow seat don't always make a motorcycle a dirt bike, and a beak does not make one an "adventure" bike. My head says buy the nc700, it will do most everything I want it for, for a relatively low price and with great fuel economy. But, my heart says get a tiger 800xc, just too sexy. Although, I've seen seen pictures of an '08? transalp, if Honda were to import those to the US, I would most likely buy one. But they won't, nor will they build the XR400L that many have begged for since the '90s. Too bad, love Honda, we've just grown apart over the years.
Yes, Honda should go back to basics and take a very reliable small engine like the 250cc twin from a Rebel/Nighthawk ( I ride a 250 Nighthawk with 35K miles) and put it in a nice tubing dual sport frame with good travel suspension and good disk brakes and a NICE seat.

My CB250 Adventure bike (city cruiser with knobbies) gets over 75 mpg and will hold 60 mph for a whole tank. The CB250 has a poor seat, poor brakes and suspension but a GREAT ENGINE. The little twin has the pistons going up and down together but firing out of sync. It develops 20hp and sounds good.

These two photos are from a solo camping trip in central Oregon desert. Mostly ride the DR650 now with better handling etc.

This is from a solo winter camp out near Fort Rock, Oregon.

Just my 2 cents worth of input... small bikes can do it.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #210
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Back to the topic: What dual sport should Honda build next.

Will it be a dualsport enduro or a dual sport bike for adventure travel?

Honda reliability, low maintenance, superior engineering produces motorcycles often ridden regularly for decades.

That great power curve of the Honda dualsport in a decent frame and suspension, at 270lbs for a 300cc to 500cc motorcycle would be the stuff!
Thats it.

1) A new 300-400cc with 33+ hp and sub 285lbs = updated XR400. Not quite a Husky or KTM race bike, but still fun

2) and a 550-650cc thats sub 350-375lbs(?) = new XR650, new ADV tourer
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote