ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #256
DualsportWA
Adventurer
 
DualsportWA's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Oddometer: 39
Getting back to the topic at hand, I think Honda should take what Kawasaki did with the KLX250s (modern design, 6-speed), bump it up to the 500cc - 600cc mark @ ~50hp, keep the weight at 325 or less, and sell it for a reasonable price (~$6000).
__________________
2009 Husqvarna TE-610 - Ride anywhere any time
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Get there fast
DualsportWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #257
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa
 
Ned1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Redmond WA/Gold Bridge BC
Oddometer: 511
Hey Gavin, I'd like to see them produce a viable competitor to that Husqy you picked up. If it existed I would have bought one a few weeks back after that DRZ sold.
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #258
DualsportWA
Adventurer
 
DualsportWA's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1 View Post
Hey Gavin, I'd like to see them produce a viable competitor to that Husqy you picked up. If it existed I would have bought one a few weeks back after that DRZ sold.
Agreed. I was close to buying a DRZ before I bought the TE610- and may have if it was a 6-speed.

In 2006, I test drove a brand new KLX250S and really liked it- everything except the power output! :) It's a good looking bike, seems well built, and has a great sticker price. But... I need power.
__________________
2009 Husqvarna TE-610 - Ride anywhere any time
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - Get there fast
DualsportWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #259
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer
 
APJ757's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualsportWA View Post
Agreed. I was close to buying a DRZ before I bought the TE610- and may have if it was a 6-speed.

In 2006, I test drove a brand new KLX250S and really liked it- everything except the power output! :) It's a good looking bike, seems well built, and has a great sticker price. But... I need power.
Maybe a smaller front sprocket,,, for more low end,,,??
__________________
APJ757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #260
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa
 
Ned1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Redmond WA/Gold Bridge BC
Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualsportWA View Post
Agreed. I was close to buying a DRZ before I bought the TE610- and may have if it was a 6-speed.

In 2006, I test drove a brand new KLX250S and really liked it- everything except the power output! :) It's a good looking bike, seems well built, and has a great sticker price. But... I need power.
I concur, the design is solid and the geometry is very capable. I've tried the 250 version owned by a friend and even with a pipe, jet kit and opened air box it was anemic compared to that stock DRZ of mine you rode for a moment or two. The 351 kit might be the solution but by then you're applying lipstick to the swine.

Perhaps a 400/450L as a big brother to the new offering?
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #261
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 10
I just read this whole thread because it is a total trainwreck!

I would love for the Japanese manufacturers to really flex their muscle in the DS market...just like they did with the sportbike market. My 95 Honda CBR600F3 was probably around 460lbs with 92 hp. Now 600's are, what, 370lbs with 125hp? I wouldn't mind every DS bike dropping 20% of their fat. That way I would feel better about not dropping 20% of my fat.
__________________
I miss Hostess Donette's (TAPS playing softly in the background)
1 Bored Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #262
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 6,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1 View Post

If it comes down to it, I will either post that PM out in the open (not really my style) or ask a moderator to evaluate the situation with a suggestion you take a ride in the penalty box.

Your choice,
Do not post PMs.

The "P" stands for private, and it will result in you getting a lengthy ban.

I wouldn't worry about him to much, a lot of people have apparently gotten childish PMs from him.

He has just come of a ban for his behavior and it looks like he hasn't learnt anything so I am guessing he will be back at banned camp very soon.

What is it with people with "ADV" at the begging there user name anyway?
__________________
tEAM iDIOT.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #263
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa
 
Ned1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Redmond WA/Gold Bridge BC
Oddometer: 511
PM sent to you Rev
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #264
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 6,801
I'll be posting it here when I get it.
__________________
tEAM iDIOT.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #265
Kelly Shoemaker
rummy
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: murrieta ca
Oddometer: 5
I think a bike with a comfortable seat wide in back for the distance narrow tward the tank for single track and low enough to reach ground. 500 cc with a kick and electric start for those times in death valley when your battery dies. 6 speed gear box. As light as the ktm bikes in its class. A slip on muffler placement so it does not melt blenkers and a pro moto billit style rack that a giant loop bag could fit proper. A head light that you could accually see with

It will never happen
Kelly Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #266
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,724
Learn to use the ignore feature folks. It saves reading a load of troll sh*t.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #267
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Adventureland NZ
Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Learn to use the ignore feature folks. It saves reading a load of troll sh*t.
+1 on the ignor feature....life is way too short to waste time on plonkers.

But to the task at hand....I went and sat on the new CRF250l yesterday and thought it was a nice bike. I spoke with the salesman and asked him if he ever thought we would see a 650R with FI and some adventure styling (a bike I would ditch KTM for) he said it could be highly likely but Honda were waiting for hell to frezze over first.....optermistically I replied "so there is some hope then?"
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #268
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BogeyMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 425
We seem to have gotten a little off-topic here, but I'll chime in anyway.

I go on a handful of D-S rides every year. It's pretty much 60% KTM (or in my case, Husaberg), with the rest of a group made up of older Yamaha's (450s mostly from when you could actually get a plate for them in CA), a few Husqvarna's and there's almost always two or three Honda 650's (either XRLs or XRRs).

None of them are what I'd call "full-on" adventure bikes, but any of them could be. I wouldn't take my GS places where I've been on my Husaberg. Conversely, I don't want to do 500 miles on my Husaberg, but I'd happily do it on the GS (although there are some who've done some pretty amazing adventure rides on the FE570).

Like they say, you can't please everyone, all of the time, but if *ANY* manufacturer has a "real" adventure bike right now, I'd say it's KTM. Either one of the 450s or even the 500, plus a few hundred $$$ in accessories and you've got a medium distance adventure bike.

In my opinion, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha & Kawasaki have all missed the boat. BMW is making a decent effort (with their new Husqvarna 650s based off the old BMW F650 single engine).

Like I said - if you want a street-legal (at least in CA - the largest motorcycle market in the US, I'm told), KTM has the market pretty much cornered.

So, to answer the original question, if Honda wants to build a competitive dual-sport - they should look towards KTM for some good ideas.
__________________
'06 BMW R1200GS - '11 Husaberg FE570S - http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #269
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 4,992










































Something in a Honda-ized version of the JBS 1000 cc thumper.
__________________
RR's Catnip Hill to Peoria ___Loopin' Seattle to WestFest
It started with some beers __1500 miles to the Dentist
Skeedaddle to Seattle______ A 30 year old on a Three Flags Run
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #270
ADVNCW
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
We seem to have gotten a little off-topic here, but I'll chime in anyway.

I go on a handful of D-S rides every year. It's pretty much 60% KTM (or in my case, Husaberg), with the rest of a group made up of older Yamaha's (450s mostly from when you could actually get a plate for them in CA), a few Husqvarna's and there's almost always two or three Honda 650's (either XRLs or XRRs).

None of them are what I'd call "full-on" adventure bikes, but any of them could be. I wouldn't take my GS places where I've been on my Husaberg. Conversely, I don't want to do 500 miles on my Husaberg, but I'd happily do it on the GS (although there are some who've done some pretty amazing adventure rides on the FE570).

Like they say, you can't please everyone, all of the time, but if *ANY* manufacturer has a "real" adventure bike right now, I'd say it's KTM. Either one of the 450s or even the 500, plus a few hundred $$$ in accessories and you've got a medium distance adventure bike.

In my opinion, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha & Kawasaki have all missed the boat. BMW is making a decent effort (with their new Husqvarna 650s based off the old BMW F650 single engine).

Like I said - if you want a street-legal (at least in CA - the largest motorcycle market in the US, I'm told), KTM has the market pretty much cornered.

So, to answer the original question, if Honda wants to build a competitive dual-sport - they should look towards KTM for some good ideas.
The one good idea from Honda of course is the Dakar 450x. If a version of that ever was put out for retail....
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014