Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #76
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 419
We parted company in morning...Oscar and Lola took the detour to Botopilas and, due to commitments that the two Matts had with family and friends, we continued south.

The landscape was beautiful and resembled Africa in places (knowledge that Matt P and I have from pictures and video, while Matt W has actually been there and done that).

Expansive views...we couldn't pass up the rest area and took some pics.

This picture was taken just after Matt and I picked up my bike. I had gotten off to take a picture and had plenty of lean angle. But the wind was gusting so strongly (about 40 mph), it blew my bike over onto the guardrail. Matt is truly keeping my bike from being knocked down again.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 06:08 PM
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #77
jrzyguy OP
Restless

We stopped to gas up and grab some lunch. In case the picture doesn't make it clear, this is a bus with a kitchen in the rear...nice set up!

It was a little warm in the bus, so we opted for some curbside fresh air. And once again, the burritos were smokin' good!

I want this picture to be a reminder to myself, that the 3 big Mexican meals that I'm eating every day will have consequences. I'm not saying anything else!

This young man arrived on a moto and was also dining at the bus. I threw this picture in because he is obviously into his stylish outfit and posed without being asked.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 06:14 PM
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #78
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Carburetor Trouble, with a capital T

Wanting to stay away from Durango, with its bad press, we made it to Cuencame for the night

Yes, that is my bike in the back of the pickup. After "riding around" my carburetor problems for the past week, my bike wouldn't start this morning. The people in our hotel were so helpful...after explaining my situation and the desire to bring my bike to Zacatecas (150 miles south), I had a willing driver within an hour and off we went. I insisted that the two Matt's continue on their separate ways, so each of us has now returned to solo status.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 06:57 AM
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #79
Puddin'
n00b

Oddometer: 2
birthday wishes

Hey Jrzyguy, it's puddin' here. I just wanted to give a big shout out for a Happy Birthday, tomorrow the 18th.
I hope all of your birthday wishes come true.
Safe travels
Puddin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #80
moabmick
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Happy birthday!!!!

Ah my good friend I am really enjoying your tales....looks like quite the adventure is shaping up. I am looking forward to sharing some food and brews with you and hearing all of the stories! I have to say you have got the "not take this seat" look down pretty well!! Would scare me off.....
moabmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #81
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,374
It is December 18th

The day of our birth, buddy. Happy Birthday. Intriguing story. Sorry to hear about Copper Canyon.

Vicariously yours,

--Doug
Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #82
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Zacatecas, Mexico

Love these signs...let's see, I think my choice is Zacatecas!

Here we are at the dealership. It looks a lot like what we'd see at home, but the bikes on the showroom floor are smaller...many 125cc and 250cc street bikes with drum brakes, yes drum brakes!

Here is my tech getting into it. I stayed with him from 9am - 3:30pm...he was incredibly thorough and dedicated to the task.

Watching him work in the shop with compressed air, a full toolbox, and a clean workbench, confirmed that this was not a job to attempt on the side of the road, unless you don't have a choice.

Everything looks good so far!

Well, the bike looks like bare bones compared to a few hours ago.

Unfortunately, when the bike was reassembled, it still didn't start...damn! I took a long walk back to my hotel to consider my options at this point!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #83
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Sightseeing in Zacatecas

A view of Zacatecas looking west. This is the first city I've visited so far with an substantial historic district, or "Centro".

I took the cable car to the hilltop overlooking the city. We passed the pictured car on its way down. The views from the car and hilltop are well worth the ride...80 pesos round trip, or $6.20.

This colonnade was on the side of the hilltop chapel. The architecture and buildings in Zacatecas are beautiful.

Another perspective from the hilltop!

The front facade of the Cathedral of the Virgin Mary. They like details, don't they?

The nightlife in Zacatecas is vibrant. People in large numbers are out every night. This pic is of the plaza with stairs across from my hotel, the Hotel Reyna Soledad. The people in the pic are gathered with their children to watch a clown perform.

Here is a Christmas show put on by students from local schools. Hearing familiar Christmas music with Spanish lyrics is very entertaining!

Can you tell they're in Mexico?

The young man at front left (not in the silver suit) is very talented...next stop, Broadway!

This beautiful young lady has "performance anxiety" written all over her expressions. She's up next!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #84
xlcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
won't start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post

Love these signs...let's see, I think my choice is Zacatecas!

Here we are at the dealership. It looks a lot like what we'd see at home, but the bikes on the showroom floor are smaller...many 125cc and 250cc street bikes with drum brakes, yes drum brakes!

Here is my tech getting into it. I stayed with him from 9am - 3:30pm...he was incredibly thorough and dedicated to the task.

Watching him work in the shop with compressed air, a full toolbox, and a clean workbench, confirmed that this was not a job to attempt on the side of the road, unless you don't have a choice.

Everything looks good so far!

Well, the bike looks like bare bones compared to a few hours ago.

Unfortunately, when the bike was reassembled, it still didn't start...damn! I took a long walk back to my hotel to consider my options at this point!
Just a thought,the side stand switch is tied to the ignition,so is the clutch switch and if they malfunction it can be intermiten and difficult to track down.If you have not eliminated the side stand switch now is a good time to do this.I don't think your carb is the problem if it was running fine. A vacume leak can make the engine difficult to start,maybe at the enrichener or the intake manifold.you can easily check by spraying some eather or starting fluid or even WD40 at the joints and if your rpm fluctuates that spot needs attention.Good luck I hope you get mobile.
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #85
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
Just a thought,the side stand switch is tied to the ignition,so is the clutch switch and if they malfunction it can be intermiten and difficult to track down.If you have not eliminated the side stand switch now is a good time to do this.I don't think your carb is the problem if it was running fine. A vacume leak can make the engine difficult to start,maybe at the enrichener or the intake manifold.you can easily check by spraying some eather or starting fluid or even WD40 at the joints and if your rpm fluctuates that spot needs attention.Good luck I hope you get mobile.
I disabled both the sidestand and clutch switches last year. And you're right...they were causing me problems and had to go.

jrzyguy screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 10:52 AM
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #86
xlcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
won't start?

Have you got spark at the plugs?Sometimes those phoney connectors under the tank or behind your headlight look good but they are not making a good contact.
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #87
jrzyguy OP
Restless

One More Try Cleaning The Carb

After receiving lots of feedback (both fuel delivery & electrical) trying to diagnose my mechanical problem, I had my tech do an even more thorough disassembly of the carb, including the pilot jet. We cleaned the carb body and all parts with carburetor cleaner, ran wires or pipe cleaners through their openings, soaked them in Pine Sol, and blew them dry with compressed air.

My tech even refashioned a screw driver to fit the slotted pilot jet for removal. Once again though, after reassembly the bike did not start. I am now more sure than ever the problem is electrical. After considering my options, I decided to leave the bike in Zacatecas, fly to CA, research and gather replacements for the potentially defective parts, and ship them with instructions to my tech. It may seem like an expensive solution, but it is less costly than staying here since receiving parts at this time of the year is a slow process. And a huge bonus with my plan will be to spend time with Julie...I've been on the road a month!

Once the problem/s are resolved and the bike is running well, I'll return to Zacatecas and resume my adventure! For now, I'll share more pics of this amazing city...I've been Zacatecas for a week now! I can not dream of being delayed in a more beautiful city! The weather, restaurants, and architecture are amazing...and the people, especially the people, have been so warm and helpful. They have made a difficult situation so much easier for me to work through. Last, but certainly not least, a huge thank you to all of those that offered suggestions and support as I tried to work through this challenge...the response to my request for help was impressive, much of which was received via email. A big thank you to all of you!

Now, let's look at more pictures of Zacatecas!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #88
jrzyguy OP
Restless

More of Zacatecas

This cafe is next door to my hotel. Patricia, the owner, bakes fresh pastries every day. Coffee and one of her treats is tough to pass up when I'm coming and going.

This is Dave, a fellow traveler from Telluride, CO, who is also staying at Hotel Reyna Soledad. He is riding a GS and plans to escape the winter weather while exploring Mexico.

The choice of cafes and restaurants with attached bars seems endless. It's fun to walk the city, exploring the possibilities! Dave and I were doing just that!

This outdoor ice rink is also in the Centro district. The city and people celebrate Christmas with passion! There is music playing and a huge video screen behind the rink. At night especially, people crowd in and enjoy spending time with one another.

This street shot is across the plaza from our hotel.

Many of the establishments have doors to tiny balconies. Here, the best tables allow patrons to interact and simulaneously do some people watching.

This is one of many traveling party groups with their own musicians. They walk around the neighborhood, stopping from time to time to dance and celebrate.

This group even has their own El Diablo...a very animated guy!

The restaurant on the left is owned by a retired Mexican singer...Arturo is bilingual and recommended lots of must see attractions around the city. He serves up great local Zacatecan cusine!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #89
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Some More Nightlife

Here is another partying group. As you can see, they like to get into the picture!

The burro is in the action to...what do you think of his hat?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #90
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Man vs. Machine

It's unusual to see larger bikes...but the night seems to bring out the best!

Not everyone has a moto! This man on his burro was passing my hotel this morning...he is one happy guy!