Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Ajaja3 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Regulator, can it die an intermittent death?

So, my bike (04 Adv) had all the classic symptoms of a fried regulator. The bike blew couple of bulbs and boiled the battery, eventually to death. This over about half a dozen rides and maybe 200 hundred miles. The problem is that before the battery died, I tested the regulator and it seemed ok. Both in the garage testing at the battery terminals and running on the freeway (measuring from the fuse box) it put out voltage in the high 13s with a max of 14,4V measured at constant rpms (4000 to 9000). Couldn't really measure what the voltage was under hard acceleration, but under modest acceleration it stayed under 14,4V. After this there was no sign (smell) of battery boiling, but there was later when I rode some twisties. So, is it possible that the regulator checks out ok at constant rpms but still puts out way too much voltage at other conditions? Something else? Or Just a bad battery? I'm not really thrilled at the thought of boiling an expensive battery just to test the (less expensive!) regulatator rectifier...
Ajaja3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Here is my link to some options for your regarding the Voltage Regulator:
Check your Stator Wires for Corrossion and/or bad connections.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820432

On this page you will find some diagnostics that may help you:

http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%...rade%20kit.htm
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Ajaja3 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the links AdvGa. I did check the wires and there was no corrosion and the connections seemed fine. I'm checking all the grounds etc today and I'll try to find some old battery to see if it boils or not...
Ajaja3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I had a replacement regulator from Ric's that would work and then stop working and then back on, it left me stranded with a dead battery and they replace it under the 1 year warranty. The stock KTM VR just put out to low of voltage and left me with a dead battery in the middle of a forest with no cell service at 5 pm in March......
I carry jumper cables and getting a 12 cell Ballastic battery to carry in the tank bag!
Electrical problems really piss me off and I am an Electrician