Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #16
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
Cakeeater, if you do not mind my asking, is the Road Glide easy to hold up at stop lights and in heavy traffic? I like the Road Glide a lot. It is a more than viable alternative to my GL1800. I may sell the Wing and try moving to a smaller bike but I think anything I ride is going to have to have a set of highway pegs as my right leg can not be bent very much. That may change with time and PT but if not, I can not ride anything other than a bike equipped with those pegs or something like the Victory Cross Roads with those HUGE floor boards that afford the same ability to have my right leg waaaaay out there.

Oh yes, do you happen to know an average mpg of your bike?

Thank you.

The Toad
Toad, for me the bike is very easy to hold up. And in stop and go traffic I play the 'how slow can you go without touching" game. It's impressive how stable the bike is at barely-moving speeds.

I've put some extended time on my brothers 2007 Goldwing and I find that to be much more of a handful in the slow stuff.

As to mpg: I've traveled enough with my bro's wing to know that my Road Glide gets a pretty dependable 4 mpg better than the wing. He gets 38...I get 42. Etc.

I'd say that over life of bike I'm at about 43 mpg. If I travel with my wife, we go a lot slower, and then I get upper 40s.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #17
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipr View Post
Cakeeater, nice write-up, congrats on the shark and running stock mufflers.

My 2012 Road King runs stock mufflers, and... paid taxes. Jackpot stainless 2-1-2 head pipe, Fuel Moto Pro Billet Air Kit, and Dynojet Power Vision tuner. Benefits include increase in MPG, usable power, Harley sound.

I like a quiet bike. What you did is interesting. I've been curious to do upgrades but keep stock pipes. I find loud pipes obnoxious, and they wear me out on a long ride.

Any idea what kind of HP increase you got?

Cakeeater
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #18
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Forgot to ask in my earlier post - what kind of bike(s) did you come from prior to the Harley Davidson?
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
I like a quiet bike. What you did is interesting. I've been curious to do upgrades but keep stock pipes. I find loud pipes obnoxious, and they wear me out on a long ride.

Cakeeater
I have the same setup Fuelmoto is a good company and they will/can sell you the entire stage one as a package, which is what I did, their site as the dyno numbers and the kits come pre-loaded with the fuel maps, I recommend calling them rather than Email, Jamie is the main guy there, but they all seem to be good. I can tell you that it made a difference in the butt dyno and that my firend who would routinely back down so not to run into me when we took off told me he hit the rev limiter trying to keep up after the upgrade. Also my top speed went from 106 mph to 113 mph thats more that a 6% increase and both speeds were measured with the same GPS not the optimistic speedo. I did take a hit in gas mileage, at speeds less than 70 it might have gotten better than stock but at higher speeds I'm getting less than before, sometimes even in the mid 30's depending on the headwind etc..

Noise wise it took me a while to like it and get used to it after running the bike stock for more than 50k miles, they do make quiet baffles, I have the standard and they make competition baffles. After more than 10k miles I can now say I like it and it sounds nice and really only barks when getting on it, both my Harley and Non-Harley friends tell me in no way are the pipes obnoxius.

I have the 96 motor and it really woke it up, my main purpose for doing it was being able to pass cars easier and spend less time exposed in the oncoming lane. Before the bike just wouldn't pull at higher RPM and upshifting wouldn't get you much, not sure about other bikes but Harley's truly benefit from the upgrade.

I did a mini review here http://travelwithe.com/travelwithe/b...ge-Review.aspx

BTW if I was to do it again I would get the Power Vision tuner that flashes the ECM instead of the piggyback unit. I'm using the 4 inch Jackpot mufflers.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 191
Quote:

Cakeeater
HP and torque curves virtually mirror stock curves (a bit smoother)... with 10+ HP and 10+ torque at max. Ridden at similar speeds and conditions as stock, MPG increases. On my Road King, wind noise and exhaust sound balance at 55 ~ 60 MPH cruise... at lower cruising speeds I can hear the exhaust. Exhaust sound is noticeable when accelerating at all speeds. The major improvements to my scoot are in the just-off-idle to 4,000 RPM range... where I do all my riding.

YouTube Channel
MotoVlog
flipr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Forgot to ask in my earlier post - what kind of bike(s) did you come from prior to the Harley Davidson?
All Japanese. All UJMs....

This dates me, but I gave up riding for 18 years to make babies, pay mortgage, stay alive...and I lived in cities where theft was an issue.

Last bike I owned was a modded cb750f....ten years old at the time. I missed the whole hyperbike era (good for me, probably). Rode from 15 to 29, a lot. Some dirt biking too.

Cakeeater
Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

EricD, Flipr...thanks for the info.

I know that aftermarket pipes will add power...I just don't want to give up quiet. I've asked around at how much fuelpack and air intake would add...without changing pipes. In that sense most Harley guys look at me like I'm nutso. "Why not add aftermarket pipes?" If I had a dime for every time I'm asked that....

I took my bike to a free dyno test. The techs were excited...they rarely get to pull a completley stock motor.

btw: 67 hp, 83 tq...at the back wheel of course.

Cakeeater
Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,965
Quote:

Cakeeater
I did the SE slip-ons. Yes, there is a little more sound (still epa legal) when accelerating, but not when cruising. The download and air filter completed my Harley tax. Bike performs slightly better and isn't obnoxiously loud at all. I wear a full face and with the bat wing, don't need ear protection.

I did put an amp and better speakers on the sound system for highway listening. So that would be my user generated noise pollution.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:

But...on my last blast across the country in really cold weather I counted about a dozen harley long-distance guys, a trio of Gold wingers, a pair of victories...and only one BMW! We all waved like long-lost cousins. Serious Harley guys are out there amongst the pirates.

Cakeeater
This seems to be a well kept secret. Everybody makes jokes about HD riders do not actually ride. On my road trips by far the majority of bikes loaded for traveling are Harleys. Makes me wonder how many poeple riding the other brand of touring bikes really spend time on the road when they spout off about Harleys not being ridden.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #25
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
This seems to be a well kept secret. Everybody makes jokes about HD riders do not actually ride. On my road trips by far the majority of bikes loaded for traveling are Harleys. Makes me wonder how many poeple riding the other brand of touring bikes really spend time on the road when they spout off about Harleys not being ridden.
This makes me wonder. What overall % market share does HD have in the US?

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,333
2012 Road Glide Custom rider.

I swapped the stock head pipes for Fuel Moto 2-1-2 header, added the SE air filter kit and bit the bullet on a SEPST tuner.

Last HD was a '06 Street Glide with the 88" and 5 speed tranny. Had a Supertrapp 2-1 Supermegg pipe that was much quieter than most aftermarket pipes.

Wanted even quieter with the Road Glide and picked up a set of almost new Supertrapp Fatshotz on Ebay for a steal. These are the exact same pipes as the Screamin Eagle Fatshotz except the Supertrapps come with a closed end cap and more diffuser disks. The SE branded mufflers are made by Supertrapp and have an open end cap with something like 12 disks. Both are EPA compliant and 50-state street legal.

I'm running the closed end caps with 12 disks on the left and 17 on the right as the right muffler receives 60-70% more flow than the left. Bike is just barely louder than stock and runs much cooler without the catalytic converter in the stock head pipe and with the semi custom EFI tune from the SEPST.

I've toyed with dropping in an aftermarket cam and there are numerous dynos posted on HTT of the 103" with just cams, pipes and tuners that make 90-100 rear wheel Hp and 100-110 Tq. I spent over $4k to take a 88" 02 Softail up to 109 Hp and 107 Tq.

Pretty impressive to know a cam swap along with the typical "Harely Tax" can yield 100/100 on these 103s and do it with a relatively quiet setup.

blk-betty screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 03:26 PM
blk-betty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
This makes me wonder. What overall % market share does HD have in the US?

Lynn
In the US, for all street bikes over 650cc I think it's something like 55-60% market share but it might be higher.

For the period Jan 1, 2012 through June 30, 2012, HD reported sales of 95,523 bikes in the US.

6,948 sold in Canada

145,391 sold worldwide

HD sold 12% more bikes in the US in the first 6 months of 2012 comparepd to 2011 and 9.3% more worldwide for the same period in 2012 vs 2011.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...release.hdnews

Third quarter numbers to be released 10/23/2012.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
In the US, for all street bikes over 650cc I think it's something like 55-60% market share but it might be higher.
That's about what I thought I had heard before. That high a % of HD sales would explain most of the reason for the number of HD's seen on the road. Just the point that HD has over 50% of sales would make the mixture of anything else seem minimal, once you spread the remaining <50% over several brands. I'm not trying to make a point...more of an observation.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #29
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
True dat!

Today I had to drive soccer players 90 miles one way and 90 miles back on a coldish rainy day. I kept count of the riders out...and they were out. Couldn't tell for certain some of the brands...I saw one Yamaha Harley-style touring bike, and at least a half dozen Harley riders out for long rides (geared up in the rain).

Yeah, in the middle of the country, in bad weather, there seems to be two riders actually out riding: Harley guys and Gold Wingers.

Cakeeater
Old 10-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #30
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
EricD, Flipr...thanks for the info.

I know that aftermarket pipes will add power...I just don't want to give up quiet. I've asked around at how much fuelpack and air intake would add...without changing pipes. In that sense most Harley guys look at me like I'm nutso. "Why not add aftermarket pipes?" If I had a dime for every time I'm asked that....

I took my bike to a free dyno test. The techs were excited...they rarely get to pull a completley stock motor.

btw: 67 hp, 83 tq...at the back wheel of course.

Cakeeater
i still would suggest muffler upgrade,

my roadster puts down 72hp/76tq. that was with SE slip ons, SE air filter, and carb rejet, and 1200cc.

stock mine was 58hp/72tq.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote