Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #61
KSBEERHUNTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Harleys?

Wow, turned into a tire thread!
Pretty much covered everything about Harleys: chrome, pipes, power mods, smoothness, comfort, heat or lack of, fuel milage and dealers etc.
I have asked several owners and mechanics and they all pretty much agree that you get about 75,000 miles before a valve job needs to be done "depending how ya ride it". Less if it has been modified and or ridden hard. Goldwing owners and BMW owners laugh at that. I would like to read about or participate in a test of Harleys that have not had the heads off for 100,000 miles. Plenty of Goldwing owners and BMW owners out there who CLAIM 200,000 + miles without a so much as a valve job. Might be, I have 164,000 miles on a BMW without having the heads off. Final drive, u-joints and transmission bearings are excluded in this conversation!! Also bought a 2012 Goldwing, gonna find out if it is rumor or truth.
This should be interesting to read about all the Harley owners that have 500,000 miles with out having to do any thing to the bike etc. I have been around quite a while and have not seen too many.
KSBEERHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #62
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
In late July of 2011 I bought myself a big hunk of Milwaukee touring metal.... a new Road Glide Ultra.
Does your bike have the "Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy" were one cyclinder will cut out when the engine is idling? Is so, how do you like it?

Thanks.

Mountain Cruiser screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 05:21 AM
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #63
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
Does your bike have the "Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy" were one cyclinder will cut out when the engine is idling? Is so, how do you like it?

Thanks.
My 2012 Electra Glide has it and to be honest I don't like it one bit. There are only two seasons in Austin, TX; hot and cold, with hot being the predominate one the majority of the year.

The 103's come with an oil cooler, but they still run hot. I run full syn oil in the bike and have added an engine cooling fan by LeNale Engineering which I kick on as I'm coming up to a stop light or while putting along in slow traffic. The fan moves enough air across the cylinders that the EITMS doesn't activate.

If I forget the fan and the EITMS does kick in, the bike needs a blip of the throttle to activate the rear cylinder again before taking off - otherwise it's very sluggish. Most people say they don't even notice EITMS - maybe it's just me.

Anyone else?
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #64
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Herold View Post
My 2012 Electra Glide has it and to be honest I don't like it one bit. There are only two seasons in Austin, TX; hot and cold, with hot being the predominate one the majority of the year.

The 103's come with an oil cooler, but they still run hot. I run full syn oil in the bike and have added an engine cooling fan by LeNale Engineering which I kick on as I'm coming up to a stop light or while putting along in slow traffic. The fan moves enough air across the cylinders that the EITMS doesn't activate.

If I forget the fan and the EITMS does kick in, the bike needs a blip of the throttle to activate the rear cylinder again before taking off - otherwise it's very sluggish. Most people say they don't even notice EITMS - maybe it's just me.

Anyone else?
I have it. I don't mind it. At stop lights when it's hot it's noticible -- but not obnoxious. You can feel and hear it's running on one cylinder. It takes a tiny blip of the throttle to get back on two, and off you go. I was in a lot of stop and go traffic in L.A. when it was near record heat there and I didn't roast my legs.

It seems to work. Why have the rear cylinder putting out extra heat when you're stopped? Simple idea, seems to be executed well.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #65
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
I have it. I don't mind it. At stop lights when it's hot it's noticible -- but not obnoxious. You can feel and hear it's running on one cylinder. It takes a tiny blip of the throttle to get back on two, and off you go. I was in a lot of stop and go traffic in L.A. when it was near record heat there and I didn't roast my legs.

It seems to work. Why have the rear cylinder putting out extra heat when you're stopped? Simple idea, seems to be executed well.

Cakeeater
Same here does not bother me and I look at it like an early warning that tells me the bike might be running hot. BTW it does not kick in nearly as much after I did the Stage One modifications, might not be a bad idea to change the fuel managment even if you keep the bike stock, I think these bikes are really lean from the factory.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #66
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 183
My 2012 FLHR has EITMS... active according to instructions in Owners Manual. Installed XIEDs (inline enrichment device) right after delivery, then a Power Vision tuner (removed XIEDs) after 1000 miles. Minimal stop-n-go riding, mostly rural back-roads, rear cylinder has never shut down at idle. No cat-con, proper tune, less heat, and improved MPG.
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #67
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

How about the stereo on the Road Glide. Is the sound quality good? Can you hear it at freeway speeds? Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #68
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
How about the stereo on the Road Glide. Is the sound quality good. Can you hear it at freeway speeds? Thanks again.
I swapped my OEM speakers for aftermarket, but yes you can hear the stereo at freeway speeds with the factory speakers....and so can your buddy riding 20-30 feet behind whilst wearing a FF helmet.

Cruise control and stereo without using damn earbuds are just a few joys of the HD tour bikes.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #69
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,513
I was very impressed with the road glide stereo

passing a semi, and in tunnels, not easy to hear, otherwise very good.

I love the frame mounted faring.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #70
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
How about the stereo on the Road Glide. Is the sound quality good? Can you hear it at freeway speeds? Thanks again.
I have the Ultra, which has rear speakers. They help a lot...but when I travel on trips I often strap on a waterproof bag with extra gear and it covers up the rear speakers.

The front stock speakers are great with an open-face helmet. I hear music and conversation fine up to about 80/85 mph. But...with a fullface, I get more engine noise up the bottom of the helmet, and more buffetting, and I don't hear the speakers as well.

So I put the Harley earphones into my fullface and plug it into my tank jack. Best of both worlds.

Ps: the harley has a weather band radio as part of the sound system. Incredibly helpful when traveling....esp. in rural areas. Coming across Wyoming I was able to get updates on all the major towns and highway markers regarding temp and precip and wind. First thing I do in the morning is give a listen to the weather service.

Cakeeater.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #71
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Ps: the harley has a weather band radio as part of the sound system. Incredibly helpful when traveling....esp. in rural areas. Coming across Wyoming I was able to get updates on all the major towns and highway markers regarding temp and precip and wind. First thing I do in the morning is give a listen to the weather service.

Cakeeater.
+1 on the weatherband!

Used that feature a few times on a cross county trip a few years ago. When I saw the sky darkening ahead I switched over...tornado warnings and heavy rain in western AR / eastern OK......only problem I had was they were naming the counties and towns in the waring area I had no idea what county I was in or what towns as we were interstating across the great plains as fast as we could to get to the fun stuff in the Rocky Mountain states.

Ended up pulling over in a state park and guy drove up in a pickup and told us to take cover, his wife just called him and she eyewitnessed a tornado about 5 miles from where we riding. We hunkered down under a picnic table that had a metal roof erected with steel supports and for about 5 minutes had 60-80 mph wind gusts as the front passed west to east.

blk-betty screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 03:11 PM
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #72
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,902
Quote:
I know that aftermarket pipes will add power...I just don't want to give up quiet.
Cakeeater

I originally bought Jackpot mufflers for my '09. They are OK for highway cruising and riding in open areas but I found that as soon as I started riding mountain roads with lots of trees, hillsides and other objects for sound to reverberate off of, they were too loud, especially when on and off the gas all the time in the twisties. Just my .02, others on the harley forums seem to find them fine and still others think they aren't loud enough.

What I ended up doing was buying barely used take-off CVO mufflers for about $150. Unlike the stock mufflers, which are restricted on one side, the CVOs are open on both sides so they perform better with the SE 103 Stage 2 kit I installed and also sound better but are still street-legal quiet.

Quote:

Cakeeater
Where I live I have to put up with lot of city traffic. These fans made a huge difference, now the motor never gets hot enough to go into EITMS mode, even in traffic jams. http://wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html

twinrider screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 08:59 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #73
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,902
The fans that Jason Ward sells are extremely powerful and placed exactly where they are most effective, highly recommended over Harley's parade fan. He is also now selling a thermal switch that automatically turns the fans once the engine warms up and allows a cooling-off period when the engine is shut off.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #74
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
I ride with a full face helmet and I can hear my radio if I turn it up enough. I try to keep it down in town, I doubt everyone want to year my music at stoplights.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #75
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Does the Road Glide Ultra come with a CB? If so, do you use it much? Thanks.