Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #76
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
I don't know if the RG comes with a CB but I had one on a Gold Wing that was only useful once. I scanned several channels to hear truck drivers hoping to get an idea where I could get off an interstate turned parking lot and bypass the problems. I've never heard such inane, vulgar and useless crap in all my life. Total losers. One sick turd trying to sing making sounds like a dying coon dog and the rest with verbal litter, nonstop. Save your money.

The RG Ultra is a great ride, easier to handle at low speeds than the GL1800. And better at diverting the wind away. One of the very few bikes I've ever been able to ride without earplugs. But a reverse would be nice, available from S&S and a couple of other companies for around $2000. HD has a reverse in the trike but I don't know if the parts will cross over. I've come to believe all bikes over 500lb should have a reverse. The macho crowd will diss me on that but fuck them, I'm through with little boy games.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #77
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
I've come to believe all bikes over 500lb should have a reverse. The macho crowd will diss me on that but fuck them, I'm through with little boy games.

Wimp !

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #78
Garbage Marc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Ultra CB

[QUOTE=Ricemannv;19859865]Does the Road Glide Ultra come with a CB? If so, do you use it much? Thanks.

It does and it and it is useful if you want to communicate with another bike that has one they have pretty good range you just have to find a channel the truckers aren't on.

Garbage Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #79
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
Does the Road Glide Ultra come with a CB? If so, do you use it much? Thanks.

The Ultra does come with a CB. I have never used it once. Weatherband, all the time. Radio, all the time. CD, not so much. Iphone jack, never.

But, knowing there are jackasses on the CB, I may have to listen in.

The stereo has a nice feature tho: when you slow down it quiets down.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #80
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
[QUOTE=twinrider;19858480]

What I ended up doing was buying barely used take-off CVO mufflers for about $150. Unlike the stock mufflers, which are restricted on one side, the CVOs are open on both sides so they perform better with the SE 103 Stage 2 kit I installed and also sound better but are still street-legal quiet.

Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in this option. One reason I hate to toss the stockers is 1: they're quiet. 2: they're paid for. 3: They look good and seem well made.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #81
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
I've come to believe all bikes over 500lb should have a reverse. The macho crowd will diss me on that but fuck them, I'm through with little boy games.
Park smarter, gravity can be a friend as well as an enemy.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #82
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Park smarter, gravity can be a friend as well as an enemy.
I park on gravel a lot. It can be a pain pushing backwards, slightly uphill with a 900 lb bike in deep gravel. I feel the op's pain. I'm a tall guy and it is still not easy when on the bike.

To the op: get off the bike and walk it back. Practice a couple of times on level tarmac. Much easier. No reverse needed.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #83
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
I have a Mamba reverse on mine, got the dealer to include it gratis as part of the deal.

It has saved my butt a few times, Latest was this summer when I pulled into a campground at night with my bike fully loaded and took the wrong dirt road, ending up on a deadend downhill slope.With the reverse I was able to K-turn my way out of there. Can't imagine how I would have gotten out of there without it, pushing the bike fully loaded on soft dirt by myself is almost impossible.

Also nice being able to park "stupid" whenever I want.
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 06:30 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #84
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
I park on gravel a lot. It can be a pain pushing backwards, slightly uphill with a 900 lb bike in deep gravel. I feel the op's pain. I'm a tall guy and it is still not easy when on the bike.

To the op: get off the bike and walk it back. Practice a couple of times on level tarmac. Much easier. No reverse needed.

uh, just 2pt turn and back in, then drive straight out when you leave. problem solved.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #85
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
I like the idea of having a reverse and would definately have to look into installing one if I get one of these bikes especially since I would propably tow a camping trailer. Have any of you done that with a Road Glide, tow a trailer I mean? Thanks.

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #86
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
Wimp !
Recognized.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #87
BCC
I know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
uh, just 2pt turn and back in, then drive straight out when you leave. problem solved.
That works great where the gravel parking lots don't have ruts and hollows. Anyway, if what sargev55 says doesn't work in a particular situation, walk it back.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #88
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
That works great where the gravel parking lots don't have ruts and hollows. Anyway, if what sargev55 says doesn't work in a particular situation, walk it back.

how rutted out is your parking lot
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #89
BCC
I know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
how rutted out is your parking lot
When not sailing, I keep a boat in a slip at a marina. The marina lot is gravel. I ride my bike there, pretty much every weekend. Sometimes the lot is almost full. When that happens, I walk the bike backwards into a space over minor hollows and swells, which can be otherwise a bit of a pain on a 900lb bike on a gravel surface. I'm therefore all set to just ride out Sunday evening. Or if it's late and I just want to get on the boat, I just ride into the spot. Then, if necessary, I walk the bike out when I leave.

This is something I also did when maneuvering a 1200 GSA off road, doing multipoint turns on trails.

It may be a technique not needed with a Sportster or similar lighter bike.

But someone, feeling they need a reverse gear, like the person who asked the question about reverse, may find it useful.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #90
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
When not sailing, I keep a boat in a slip at a marina. The marina lot is gravel. I ride my bike there, pretty much every weekend. Sometimes the lot is almost full. When that happens, I walk the bike backwards into a space over minor hollows and swells, which can be otherwise a bit of a pain on a 900lb bike on a gravel surface. I'm therefore all set to just ride out Sunday evening. Or if it's late and I just want to get on the boat, I just ride into the spot. Then, if necessary, I walk the bike out when I leave.

This is something I also did when maneuvering a 1200 GSA off road, doing multipoint turns on trails.

It may be a technique not needed with a Sportster or similar lighter bike.

But someone, feeling they need a reverse gear, like the person who asked the question about reverse, may find it useful.

Anyone that can single handedly back and fill a single screw into a slip or alongside a pier should be able to manage parking lot situations without using a reverse gear.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote