Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #91
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,665
Having reverse is a lot like having an automatic garage door opener. You could get by without it, but it sure is convenient.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #92
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
I would echo everything the OP said except I'd be talkin about my Road King (6 months 10,000 miles, most miles I've put on a bike in 6 months... ever)
Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #93
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Anyone that can single handedly back and fill a single screw into a slip or alongside a pier should be able to manage parking lot situations without using a reverse gear.
I do cheat though. It has a bow thruster.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #94
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
I do cheat though. It has a bow thruster.
In that case you probably need a reverse on the bike too.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #95
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Road Glide looks nice. Do you go down the long road of boring, new pistons, cams, head job, etc. to get more out of it or leave stock???

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #96
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
Road Glide looks nice. Do you go down the long road of boring, new pistons, cams, head job, etc. to get more out of it or leave stock???

I'm going down the not so boring road of leaving mine stock. Enuf power to get me from point a to point b as fast as I wanna go.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #97
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
I'm going down the not so boring road of leaving mine stock. Enuf power to get me from point a to point b as fast as I wanna go.

Cakeeater
This was my plan. I ended up doing the download, airfilter and epa legal pipes. A nice bump, with no downside I've noticed, other than modest cost.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #98
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

How do you think the Road Glide Ultra compares to the Goldwing GL 1800?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #99
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 712
Quote:

Cakeeater
I hope to be riding a RG one of these days. I'd like to think I'd leave mine stock as well. How is the engine heat when the cats are left in place? Do you have the cylinder heat management function (whatever they call that) enabled? As an aside, I think the poster you quoted was talking about cylinder boring...maybe you read it that way, too.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #100
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
I hope to be riding a RG one of these days. I'd like to think I'd leave mine stock as well. How is the engine heat when the cats are left in place? Do you have the cylinder heat management function (whatever they call that) enabled? As an aside, I think the poster you quoted was talking about cylinder boring...maybe you read it that way, too.
Yeah, I got that he was talking cylinder boring. But I like the other meaning better

Engine heat? Long as I'm moving it's fine. As in no issue. And I've ridden for days straight in the 110 F range. As long as I'm wearing my trusty aerostich riding pants when it's hot as hell I'm fine. It gets hot wearing jeans that don't reflect the heat as well if I'm in stop and go but I'm still alive. Yes, I have the rearcylinder turn off thing. Works fine, I guess. A couple years ago I rented an electra glide in milwaukee and toured around with my wife on the back in 95 degree weather. That did NOT have it and my legs got realllly hot during that ride. But I was going slow then too.

As far as stock...It works just fine. I know it runs lean, which is why at altitude, under power, it needs higher octane gas. Pinging kicks in with low grade regular. Put in premium, all smooth and good.

Cakeeater
Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #101
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
How do you think the Road Glide Ultra compares to the Goldwing GL 1800?

As I've posted elsehwere, my brother has a gl1800. I much prefer my Road Glide. More space to move around, better mpg, and MUCH EASIER to go offroad/gravel roads with. His has more power, but not as much as I woulda thought. And smoothness at 75 mph is a wash. My cruise are stereo is better. His is smooth as glass at idle, my shakes. We're equal in the twisties....but that's because I'm such a clearly superior rider.

He likes his more, I like mine more. I simply don't like that big ugly (imho) dash/windshield of that goldwing. Looks like a panasonic boombox from 1996. Buttons and plastic.

He's has zero problems. I've had zero problems. We like teasing each other.

Cakeeater
Old 11-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #102
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

I keep going back and forth between the Road Glide, Road King and the Gold Wing. I probably going to end up with one of those bikes. Now the Ultra Classic Electrica Glide is looking good too..... If I win the draw for the oppurtunity to buy the 2013 110th Anniversary Road King from NEX Military Sales I will take that as a sign and buy it.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #103
Harleytoo
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I have had my Road King Custom since buying it new in '05. It has been a pretty solid ride. As I noted in another thread I am considering replacing it with a Rocket 3 Roadster, but have not pulled the trigger on it yet.

As far as a bike that is capable of eating lots of miles, it is. It can be a commuter, but it is big and heavy for that chore. Having been in the HD community for 10 years there are pro's and con's on the big bikes.

The one thing that I like above all else about my RK is that it can be a lot of different bikes. Since the RK's use detachable stuff, I can strip it down and have an old school basic bike. Fun to ride. I can add shield or, in my case, a detachable fairing and it really improves the long haul touring by eliminating 90% of the wind blast. Drop on the Tour Pac I picked up off eBay and I can take everything I need to be on the road for weeks. It is, by far, the most versitile bike I have ever owned.

Being that mine is an '05 the vibration is much higher than the newer touring breed. Thus, I get some metal fatigue breakage. Brackets have a tough time of it. The brakes are somewhat weak, but I just gauge my riding to meet the limit of their ability. Its a trade off between the newer versions. I would love to have ABS on it.

As has been said here, the platform (which is what you are buying TBH) is fantastic for its variability. The new Ultra's and full dresser Road Glides are fantastic bikes.

'07 BMW R1200 GS Adv
'05 Harley Road King Custom
Harleytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #104
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I have an '07 RG and also an '03 Buell Lightning. I am thinking of selling both to get an '09 RG with the bigger tank and the world-changing new frame but I will miss the Lightning! If I didn't hear so much good about the new frame I would just keep my old school 'Glide, but I feel like I am missing something and I would like to have the additional 45 miles of fuel range.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #105
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 712
Quote:

As far as stock...It works just fine.

Cakeeater
Thanks. I'd hoped as much.

Love that blue color on your RGU. Saw one that color used at the dealer. Very cool.