ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #106
bajarider1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
It been a few years since I have been there but Steamboat is a nice and laid back town. It has a very western/cowboy feel to it. Most people clomp around in their ski boots so I think moto gear/boots should not be a problem. The hotel looks like it is on the slopes where they will have all the outdoor events. If you want more rustic, you can always stay in town at one the older hotels.

I am really thinking of going because it is being held in Steamboat but working on the logistics since it will be a 3000 mile roundtrip ride from my house.
bajarider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #107
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Here is some info on Steamboat alternatives:

Camping:

http://www.steamboatcampground.com/features.html

Nice older hotel in town, still family run....

http://www.rabbitearsmotel.com/

Both of these are on the main drag in town. The event hotel is out at the ski area which is 4ish miles away.

Google Maps link from Campground to host hotel....

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=3...=h&mra=ls&z=14

Steamboat is a fun, laid-back western town and is a beautiful area with a huge amount of fantastic riding opportunities!

zgfiredude screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 03:01 PM Reason: correct mileage
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #108
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,408
Hey Brian, See Ya there. Im going unless something unforseen comes up. Plannin on meetin up with MJlang and maybe a few others to do the run across (Offroad Nevada again?) Nevada and Utah
Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #109
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

On my way to pick up my new to me 950 S today!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #110
whitewater18
funhog

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Here is some info on Steamboat alternatives:

Camping:

Nice older hotel in town, still family run....

http://www.rabbitearsmotel.com/

Both of these are on the main drag in town. The event hotel is out at the ski area which is 6 miles away.

Google Maps link from Campground to host hotel....

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=3...=h&mra=ls&z=14

Steamboat is a fun, laid-back western town and is a beautiful area with a huge amount of fantastic riding opportunities!
Town is 3 miles from the ski area where the Grand is located.

Rabbit Ears Motel is 3 miles from the Grand. Steamboat Campground is 4.5 miles away.
There are plenty of Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Clarion, other chain hotels close to the Grand.
Also tons of condo rentals near the Grand at the ski area.

National Forest camping is at Dry Lake up Buffalo Pass about 10 miles away, & the Meadows on top of Rabbit Ears pass about 12 miles from the Grand. The Meadows campground is at 9800' and will be freezing every night.
Lots of unrestricted camping on FS land around the area, however it farther out.

There is camping at Stagecoach State Park about a 25 minute ride away. Steamboat Lake State Park is about 50 minute ride from the Grand. Yampa River State Park is west of Hayden CO about 1 hour away.

Feel free to PM me with any additional questions any of you have about Steamboat. I've lived here 32+ years and kinda know about most things here.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #111
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
I think, that they think,....
that this should be posh and comfortable, like a BMW Rally,
not rowdy and hooliganistic, like a KTM Rally.

Where's the campfire pit at the fruggin' Hotel?

I don't need a TV or a jacuzzi,...just some ice...
Rowdy and Hooligans?.. Ok those are my friends, Im sure there will be quite a few with the same mindset.
Had a blast last year. For myself, It was all about the journey, meeting new friends and not the actual rally anyways..Other than KN Foddlers awesome tour service, Had I missed the actual Rally not much would have been lost.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #112
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater18 View Post
Town is 3 miles from the ski area where the Grand is located.

Rabbit Ears Motel is 3 miles from the Grand. Steamboat Campground is 4.5 miles away.
There are plenty of Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Clarion, other chain hotels close to the Grand.
Also tons of condo rentals near the Grand at the ski area.

National Forest camping is at Dry Lake up Buffalo Pass about 10 miles away, & the Meadows on top of Rabbit Ears pass about 12 miles from the Grand. The Meadows campground is at 9800' and will be freezing every night.
Lots of unrestricted camping on FS land around the area, however it farther out.

There is camping at Stagecoach State Park about a 25 minute ride away. Steamboat Lake State Park is about 50 minute ride from the Grand. Yampa River State Park is west of Hayden CO about 1 hour away.

Feel free to PM me with any additional questions any of you have about Steamboat. I've lived here 32+ years and kinda know about most things here.
Awesome info! I got the 6 miles from google maps......DOH! I just picked the Rabbit Ears cuz I stayed there as a kid on my way to camp at Bear Pole Ranch.......that was just a couple of summers ago!

You are now the "official a-thor-a-tay" on all things Steamboat! See you in September!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #113
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
I have access to some private land about 45 min.(I think) east of the 'Boat which would camp a bunch. I'll check with owner, but he's an old friend of the family so it shouldn't be a problem for a group of us to camp there if need be.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #114
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports;[URL="tel:20351469"
20351469[/URL]]Rowdy and Hooligans?.. Ok those are my friends, Im sure there will be quite a few with the same mindset.
Had a blast last year. For myself, It was all about the journey, meeting new friends and not the actual rally anyways..Other than KN Foddlers awesome tour service, Had I missed the actual Rally not much would have been lost.
I agree completely, when thinking of last year....
but this year it's so far away that either lots-o-slab or three weeks off will be needed to enjoy the journey.
....Seems less appealing with all the other events I can spend 2-3 riding mostly dirt.

If I wanted to slab 1000+ miles, and stay in a fancy hotel,
I'd be better off with that GS I didn't buy.
As a single man, I'd probly go anyway.
As a married man with limited bike/camp time.....
I'm having trouble with this concept.
I really need to Ride Oregon First
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)

Apple Jam screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 10:02 AM
Apple Jam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #115
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,963
I've been in contact with this campground:

Looks like they have a nice setup and it will be a friendly, safe, secure place as a base camp to drop gear and socialize for the Campers among the KTM Rally attendees. I have never stayed there, but I look forward to trying them out.

They are not affiliated with the KTM Rally, I have no personal interest in this other than trying to get my personal trip sorted asap.

You don't need to stay here if you don't want, I'm just trying to make it easier for those wanting to hang out after hours and see some great bikes from around the country all in one place at the end of the day.

They have a tent island setup that has 41 sites. They are all open at this time.

They also have cabins available. I did not ask about group pricing on those at this time as I did not need one. If you are interested in this, please ask for yourself.

I will be booking a spot for me and any of the riders that want to join us on our trip out from WI and around CO leading up to the KTM event.

I will be booking sites for the 12/13/14 of Sept 2013.

Retail price is $31/night and they can hold 2-3 tents.

They have offered a Group rate of $20 per night per site.
There is a $10 cancellation fee.

If you are interested, you can call and ask for Amber. Tell her you are with the CJ Designs/Craig group to get this price. I am not booking your site for you. You are in charge of booking and cancellation fees.

Hope this helps make the trip more affordable and welcoming to those wanting a camping option.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #116
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
A big thanks for making this call to the campground and arranging the discount, CJ!
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #117
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer;[URL="tel:20363907"
20363907[/URL]]I've been in contact with this campground:

Looks like they have a nice setup and it will be a friendly, safe, secure place as a base camp to drop gear and socialize for the Campers among the KTM Rally attendees.......................
..........Hope this helps make the trip more affordable and welcoming to those wanting a camping option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater18;[URL="tel:20350922"
20350922[/URL]] ....Steamboat Campground is 4.5 miles away (from the Grand).......
Nice, Craig !! ......looks like a decent place,
..... like last year's Tumalo State Park, but less than half the distance
I'll keep this on my radar.......
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #118
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,963
No Problem.

We've gotten some request in the past so I'm throwing this out there.

It seems the rally goes by so fast and everyone is scattered. What if we could extend it just a few extra days?

I've been kicking around the idea:

What if we moved the CJD Tech Weekend this year to coincide with the KTM Rally and get more riders, that don't want to drive across the plains to Wisconsin, the opportunity to join in on the chaos?

Our schedule is tight this year to do it at our place in August.

If we arrived in Steamboat Campground on the 10th. Maybe we could offer a Camping/ cooking/ packing / prep session to display and show the products my team personally chooses for our trips. Help explain why we choose them. Pros/cons. Have an open Q&A session. This can be done at our camp site, they also have a covered pavilion we could use.

-What tents we use.
-How we pack the bikes.
-What cooking gear we use.
-How do we set the bikes up with camping gear to still ride trails and explore.
-What is your favorite peice of Kit. We can all learn from each other.
-Open Q&A with Craig and Crew.

I'm no expert by any means, and I am always learning every trip we take. I feel there is no "perfect" setup for everyone, but seeing and talking with other campers can help get you dialed in faster than trial and error.

I have over 200,000 miles on KTMs now and if I can be of help, I'm willing to give you a few days of my time. Maybe some of our insight can help make your trip go a bit smoother and cost you less in the long run getting proper gear to start with.

What if the 11th was setup for a Camping/ cooking/ packing/ prep session at the Campground.

On the 12th at the campground we can help cover any bike tech related questions or even help install any parts riders may want to add to there bike. Oil changes for those traveling from afar. Just give the riders a day to look over bikes and see what other riders like or would like to improve on there current bike setups.

I will be riding to this event. No trailer or Support crew. Tools will be limited to what we have on the bikes (This is normally good for a complete bike tear down if need be) All other parts/ supplies I will try and get shipped to the Campground so they are there for your arrival.

On the 13th the KTM Rally starts and we hit the trails.

Camping can be fun and open a NEW world and set of trails to you. It can also allow you to save $$$$ and stay out longer and keep riding. You already have the perfect bike "KTM" so I'd like to show you how we use it as a great travel aid. Save money on hotels, invest what you save in good gear and learn how to use it. You may find yourself on the BIKE more and the COMPUTER less.

If there is any interest in this please let me know and I will continue to work out the plans.

If not, no problem. We'll see you on the trails. Happy New Year!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #119
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

OOHHHH! Awesome idea, and I for one would be all over this!

As a newbie to the addiction, I'm like a sponge ready to soak up as much as I can in order to maximize my enjoyment of what I truly hope IS an addiction. For you to offer and find the time to do this so far from home base is fantastic!

I personally encourage others to chime in and show some support for this in order to make it worth the investment in time and energy for Craig to do this.......and thanks Craig for the offer.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #120
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
No Problem.

We've gotten some request in the past so I'm throwing this out there.

If we arrived in Steamboat Campground on the 10th. Maybe we could offer a Camping/ cooking/ packing / prep session to display and show the products my team personally chooses for our trips. Help explain why we choose them. Pros/cons. Have an open Q&A session. This can be done at our camp site, they also have a covered pavilion we could use.

-What tents we use.
-How we pack the bikes.
-What cooking gear we use.
-How do we set the bikes up with camping gear to still ride trails and explore.
-What is your favorite peice of Kit. We can all learn from each other.
-Open Q&A with Craig and Crew.

I'm no expert by any means, and I am always learning every trip we take. I feel there is no "perfect" setup for everyone, but seeing and talking with other campers can help get you dialed in faster than trial and error.

I have over 200,000 miles on KTMs now and if I can be of help, I'm willing to give you a few days of my time. Maybe some of our insight can help make your trip go a bit smoother and cost you less in the long run getting proper gear to start with.

What if the 11th was setup for a Camping/ cooking/ packing/ prep session at the Campground.

On the 12th at the campground we can help cover any bike tech related questions or even help install any parts riders may want to add to there bike. Oil changes for those traveling from afar. Just give the riders a day to look over bikes and see what other riders like or would like to improve on there current bike setups.

Camping can be fun and open a NEW world and set of trails to you. It can also allow you to save $$$$ and stay out longer and keep riding. You already have the perfect bike "KTM" so I'd like to show you how we use it as a great travel aid. Save money on hotels, invest what you save in good gear and learn how to use it. You may find yourself on the BIKE more and the COMPUTER less.

If there is any interest in this please let me know and I will continue to work out the plans.

If not, no problem. We'll see you on the trails. Happy New Year!

I'm liking the sound of this.
I think it's a great idea, and could be as enjoyable as the rally itself.

WJR
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote