Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #16
Taelan28 OP
Thunder

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by manic mechanic View Post
If you are looking at boots from strictly a fashion viewpoint, you need to reconsider. I ride on city streets, country roads, interstate highways, wherever the front wheel takes me. There have been many times where a road hazard presents itself and it does impact somewhere below the knee. I've had dogs run out and pace me. I know that when meeting somebody, the first thing I don't look at is their shoes.
Thats exactly it. I know how I view it but I came here looking for answers in an attempt to change my views to being more safer based on a consitent answer feet will be injured. Ultimately what i thought before hand hasnt changed: Yes a crash can break my foot and pins are a worst cast scenario, but injury is cirumstantial upon the crash.

As twighlight pointed out I balance my need for boots on risk reward and admittedly on visual appeal. I also look around and see people riding similar bikes and they have similar gear or just a helmet. People with boots have ride much more powerful bikes, not 125cc cruisers, yet a 120kph crash on my cruiser is equally painful as a crash on a fancy bike going the same speed.

Thanks for your response guys. I appreciate the input.

Taelan28 screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 06:13 AM
Taelan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #17
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Boots are less likely to fly off if you rag doll down the road. They are also less likely to fly off if you go sliding for 60'. Just like a car and a seatbelt, there is the occasion when not wearing your seatbelt would have been better. But the odds are that it benefits you more times than not. There could be the random time it would benefit you to have your shoe fly off, but more times than not you want to keep them on. Now on the sad side. My brother, who is a cop, reported to a fatal 60mph motorcycle and SUV head on collision. The SUV didnt see the guy and just turned into him. He said the guys boots literally blew out. Seems and laces just busted out.
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #18
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelan28 View Post
$250 is not chump change. However I will concede that the medical bills and and pins in my feet will pale in comparison to a boot purchase.

I travel with a small back pack. I wear shoes and stuff slide sandals in my bag as well as my camera, sun block, swimsuit and an extra pair of clothes, and I hate carrying THAT around when Im at my destination. Another pair of regular shoes would only be slightly less bulky and annoying to me. When I pack for long weekend trips I fill my bigger Oakley backpack with camera, clothes, lifejacket (I waterski), shoes, sun screen, phone charger and room for other stuff.

All motocycle boots lack style to me. Yes they look nice and cool and are well designed motorcyle boots but walking into a restaurant with them or meeting a very pretty korean lady with motorcycle boots is just tacky. So ultimately I have petty conflict of interest, be protected or be lean, convenient and socially adjusted.
Motorcycling is an expensive hobby, you need to either be protected or be prepared to pay the price. The price isn't just money... Buy some straps and put your backpack on the bike, do you really want your camera breaking your back in a fall?? Yes....breaking...your...back, as in may never walk again.

I'm trying to wrap my head around your thickheadedness. You ask why, you are concisely told why and even chastised by members for asking such a silly question, and then you complain that $250 is to much? Are you one of those it will never happen to me type of guys? Have you not heard the expression that are two types of riders? Ones who have crashed and ones that will. The odds of not crashing in your lifetime are pretty stacked against you. Face it, YOU WILL CRASH AND IT WILL HURT! The question is, do you want to be protected or not?

I've been laid up for two weeks and will be on crutches and a cast for 4 more as I write this. I fractured my leg in two spots on a 5mph spill. Yes, 5MPH!
I was wearing big MX boots so I consider myself lucky that the bike didn't crush my ankle and I have my boots to thank. Forget the recovery time, if you break your ankle or knee you are looking at serious arthritis when you get old, it will never be the same.

Bottom line, this forum will give you more good information than you know what to do with, either listen to the advice of people who combined have billions of miles more experience than you and use it, or kindly go away. You won't be told what you want to hear, you will be told the truth.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
I like Twilight Error's response. There is some statisical data collected for M/C foot injury but it is not very convincing. One rider's risk analysis/experience demands a purpose built bike boot. Another rider's analysis/experience might find something other than that acceptable. It is my habit during the street commute to wear whatever shoes I need for the day including mesh sneaks and any low cut shoe. Many moons ago I crashed on the street at about 30mph and purposely left my leg and foot under the bike to protect a fresh custom paint job while wearing sneaks. Header pipe burned my ankle pretty good. Paint survived intact. If I am on a bike trip, I will wear a high-top leather boot for the support and weather protection (Wolverines at the moment). Any typical construction/hunting boot works for me. Because I have injured my toes in non-biking ways, I like steel toes in a riding boot. Long ago, I kicked a stump at speed while wearing a purpose built M/C off road, competition boot while riding off road. I was amazed at the lack of toe protection and wondered that I didn't break all 5 toes? Buying a purpose built bike boot and having it work in ways that the buyer expects in all crash scenarios is still chancy.
Long ago, I broke three of those little bones in the ankle at about 3mph in a non-MC event. 3 months in a cast with a year on crutches before I could ride again. Foot gear is not always an issue. Recently, some world class sprinter broke a foot bone just running his race. If a rider is going to wear gear, might as well get the best that can be had in the rider's price range. Figuring out which gear is the best for the money spent is often problematic. There is no good reason to suppose that a $150 rainsuit works better than a $40 rainsuit based on cost. It is well known that a $200 helmet protects about as well as a $600 helmet. Nobody has collected the data showing that $400 boots are significantly better than $40 boots? Sanctioned road racing boots look a lot different from racing off road boots. How is a street rider going to make a judgement for which boot is going to do the job in his environment? ATGATT is a good idea. Drawing the lines where it is necessary and sufficient is difficlut.

ibafran screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 07:00 AM
ibafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #20
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Riding a motorcycle of any size is a dangerous activity. Ignorance of that danger is very poor armor.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #21
Taelan28 OP
Thunder

Oddometer: 60
No, motorcycling is not expensive. Owning a car is. You know whats more expensive? WATERSKIING! HOLY BALLS THAT HAS BLED ME OUT! I spent nearly $3000 in 5 months, and thats not including the ski and bindings! Otherwise its $4,500. Two summers of skiing together and the total is closer to $6,500. If I do it again next year that totals nearly $9,000. Thats the price of a nice bike... in 3 years, and I have no resale value. You buy a new bike for $9k and you could dump it three years later for $4k.

I just realized the irony. The guy who inspired me to ask this question was an advocate for people riding without their helmets saying it the goverment cant make you buy something and it was silly for the government to force you to do something. He had an accident himself veering off the road and splitting his head open. Finally, he had a buddy participate in a protest ride where riders were protesting helmet laws by not wearing the and he...died. Dude was all about wearing boots, but not a helmet.

wow that sounds too funny to be true by some just above newb rider posting on the internet, but thats what my memory is bringing up.

Devo2002 I dont believe I was ever saying that I wouldnt get in a crash. In fact I believe I said that when I bought the bike I knew full well that a crash was inevitable. I still believe that day was coming I came here not to justify myself not wearing boots on a cruiser because Im cheap or defend my gear levels for comfort, convenience and style reasons, but I came here to get knowledge as to why an experience rider said he always wears boots and the reason is "because they protect you." If there's anything I should buy its gloves. My feet have shoes, my knuckles have nothing, and if I fall I'll be leading with those. If the goal is protection then why dont you talk me into a full body suit? If everyone's priorities truly were safety and protection while riding we would all be wearing full body suits. And if everyone's priorities truly were about safety we wouldnt ride motorcycles. I'd wager that everyone's values are similar in principal to mine where function meets safety, or, like I said, we would all have $3000 body suits.

I always throw on my helmet, and I put on my jacket for anything more than 20km away. I really oughtta get gloves. To be fully honest I will not buy boots as long as I have this cruiser, nor will I wear knee pads. Should I get protective jeans? I probably should. If I get a bigger bike then those things will be purchased the same time as the bike.
Taelan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,135
I have all the gear but rarely ride ATGATT...I use to ride off road, MX, enduros ect. and wouldn't be caught dead without MX boots. I can't remember how many times I've hit a stump or rock or even ridden over my foot..??..I've been riding for over forty years and luckly have never had a incident on the street, knock on wood, but then I ride at a casual pace and never push it through the corners. I could have gotten away with flimsy tennis shoes and never known the difference. I wear high top hikers on the street but just the other day saw some Wolverine steel toe work boots on sale. I just feel comfortable wearing boots even if I might not ever need the protection. I don't dog other riders if they wear shorts or tennys or don't wear helmets, I just stay a long ways away from them.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #23
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelan28 View Post
Yes a crash can break my foot and pins are a worst cast scenario, but injury is cirumstantial upon the crash.
Sorry but no. The worst that can happen is you can loose your foot. Yes it has happened.

You dress for the crash, not the ride, or for fashion.
I wear these. Are they the best? Nope. But they're what I can afford, and they're better than shoes.
They also are decent to walk around in, and don't look too crazy.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #24
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,191
Don't wear a helmet either. We don't need you procreating.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #25
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,218
You need to get out of your head that accidents only happen on big bikes going fast. That is not the case. I have seen or came across 3 motorcycle accidents where people got hurt. All three where foot and ankle injuries. One was a scooter in Grand Cayman Island, girl got t-boned by another scooter. Front tire right to the foot and she had on flip-flops. The other two where bigger bikes, Harleys hitting soft sand on a turn along Lake Michigan. I don't know how bad the injuries where but both went to the hospital. One was a passenger that had on small summer beach shoes, the other was the driver and he had a light weight hiking boot. Top speed for both 5 MPH max. When ever I go around that one corner even now I can hear (in my head) the woman screaming from the hot pipe on her ankle (both where trapped under the bike). Lucky for her it was just 3 or so minutes before we showed up.

Spend some time on Google "road rash" and come back and tell us how you don't need gloves, jacket, and pants.

I'm not the smartest guy but I can tell you all the fun dumb stuff we did as kids I can feel as pain at 50. Scar tissue hurts more now that when I got hurt years ago.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #26
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
People who haven't ever had an accident on the street, serious or not, no matter whose fault it was, often have a difficult time understanding the value of good protective gear. Those who have been preserved from serious injury by such gear, whether because of theit own f*ck up or someone else's, are more likely to see the value.

Taelan, after an accident is the wrong time to consider whether you could have been better prepared. We all decide what level of risk we're willing to take. I wear boots (though not necessarily motorcycle-specific boots) every time I ride. If I'm riding on the highway (80kph or above)I wear full gear. That meets my personal risk mitigation calculus. Yours may be different. I like my feet.

abnslr screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 09:55 AM Reason: added sh!t.
abnslr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #27
ty.zardoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Steel toed boots are NOT advisable. The way it was explained to me is that in "most" motorcycle accidents if your feet are involved in an impact the impact typically happens from the FRONT of your foot. In a "typical" workplace accident a foot impact happens from the TOP of your foot. A steel toe cap is designed for TOP impacts.. NOT front impacts. Apparently there is a fair bit of evidence compiled that indicates you could suffer MUCH more injury to your feet if you are wearing steel toed boots than if you were wearing proper motorcycle boots. Apparently there have been documented cases of people loosing their toes from the steel toe caps in a front impact... literally having their toes SHEARED OFF by the steel caps.

They are your feet.. you decide if the risk is worth it. For me I have proper motorcycle boots (cheapies made in Korea, but VERY comfortable) even tho I have a pair of EXTREMELY expensive steel toed workboots. I wear my riding boots EVERY SINGLE time I ride my bike, NEVER do I ride with my workboots on.

tyz
ty.zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Yes boots can be a pain in the ass, but I like my feet. Do you need MX boots? No. There's a tradeoff of recovery time and pain vs convenience. I like to minimize recovery time for important things like head, feet, hands

Omfg get some gloves though. They're super easy and will save skin in any incident. I'd probably wear them over a jacket.
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
There is a middle ground.

I don't feel safe riding around in sneakers. If I went down they would likely disintegrate/fly-off within the first 10 feet of a slide. I've seen reports of this happening even with decent over-the-ankle hiking boots.

However, I use my motorcycle for everything and I do demand a measure of convenience. I don't want to spend 5 minutes after every 10 minute ride un-buckling moto GP boots and then carrying them around with me in the grocery store.

My personal choice is heavy, tall motorcycle-inspired work boots. Heavy-duty leather, some ankle protection, stiffer shank, thick soles. Look like normal boots. I can ride to work, spend 12 hours on my feet and ride home no problem.

On the cheap side I've used Joe Rocket Orbits
And on the pricey side I'm currently using Altberg Hogg Ultralite

Obviously they won't do much if you get T-Boned, and if you're going out to push limits in the canyons or ride any sort of off-road, you should wear real boots designed for that purpose.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
MrFox
n00b

Oddometer: 2
It's been fairly clearly covered already, but to add in my own personal experience as well, I've had friends go down in tennis shoes, at slow speeds (+/- 30 mph) and had their shoes off their feet before they hit the ground. Ankle protection is a big thing, especially if you're sliding. My only time coming off the bike was at 50 exiting the highway in rain. Deep puddle I didn't see, front hydroplaned and I low-sided. My own fault, but that's how a lot of these things are. Turned out I had road-race boots on at the time. While you don't need something that specialized, I could see exactly where I slid on them, and how much of the pucks wore down, and it was a ton right around my ankle. I have a pair of A*'s SMX-1 (lower cut more casual boot, that fits just above the ankle) for casual riding/hanging out, from what I learned from going down, a little support and some ankle protection (and something that won't come off in a crash) go a long ways. I'm not saying you need the best and most expensive, but something over the ankle goes a long ways in protecting and keeping those shoes on if you go down. Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.
MrFox is offline   Reply With Quote