User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #31
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Hmm, lets see.

I was on a small bike, a Yamaha 125 enduro at the time, going about 30-40mph and crashed wearing no gear at all.

When I woke up, I could see my sock hanging from the foot peg on a bike that just made no sense anymore.

The foot peg entered my leg above the ankle, and opened my foot up down through the sole. Two surgeries and 13 days in the hospital and years of nerve damage.

With even just a pair of leather boots I might have walked away with just a bruise. While I may not always wear motorcycle specific boots, I'm always wearing boots. Even on my scooters.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #32
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Why ALWAYS wear boots

I was T-boned by a truck passing illegally across a double yellow line. The truck impacted the rear left side of my bike, forcing the bike into a left hand side low-side slide. The bikes engine case landed on my left foot. I was wearing Alpinestar Web Goretex Boots.

I still own the boots, and have ridden over 30k miles in them. Despite having the boots on, I still fractured my left fibula just above the ankle. Received a plate and 8 screws the very next day. All while on an 8 month trip from Seattle to Argentina. I was in Colombia at the time.

Next to a pack of Cigarettes for size comparison. Im guessing about 5 inches? 12.5cm?

It was enough to convince my riding partner that the leather work boots he had ridden 10k miles in already, weren't cutting it. He bought Motorcycle specific boots the within 2 weeks.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #33
ManiZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I really don't think you should buy boots. Some heads are impossible to get logic into, not matter how well-reasoned it may be or how often it may be repeated.

Experience is the comb life gives us after we've lost our hair. Replace "comb" with "boots" and "hair" with "feet" and this adage may fit you...
ManiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #34
Taelan28 OP
Thunder

Oddometer: 60
Well after a few more stories I've become more open to the idea of wearing boots. The initial question was "are boots necessary?" and my assumption was no as feet arent injured like the rest of the body is in a fall and shoes that stayed on your feet would be enough. I also thought foot injuries were a low probability. Being told boots were useful because someone was rear ended seems like a unique accident. However all these stories of boots helping or where they could have helped have summed up the need for boots as necessary for a typical crash and not an atypical crash.

Some posters here share my idea of convenience, and I'm not surprised by this I don't fully gear up to go 10 minutes down the street for some milk and neither do other people. Dumb excuse, I know. A Motorcycle is also my primary form of transportation. I'll pick some up by next spring as well as some gloves which are way over due. The riding season is almost over.

Gosh, should I really be taking advice from so many people who have been in accidents? I kid I kid....sorta.

Taelan28 screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 12:52 PM
Taelan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #35
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelan28 View Post

Gosh, should I really be taking advice from so many people who have been in accidents? I kid I kid....sorta.
Well, yeah. Think about it - who is more qualified to tell you that motorcycling is dangerous and you can be hurt, someone who has been hurt on a motorcycle or someone who has never taken a fall?
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #36
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
...Gosh, should I really be taking advice from so many people who have been in accidents? I kid I kid....sorta.
A valid question. I don't buy into the old saw about there being only two types of motorcyclists, but I have never been willing to assume that I'd be the third type -- one of those who never have an accident. Good thing too, since I've turned out to be one of the first two. The advice is out there -- take it or don't, it's up to you.

abnslr screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 01:19 PM Reason: can't spell right the first time...
abnslr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #37
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
I sympathize with your desire to allocate your limited money where it will do the most good, but boots are VERY important. If your finances are short, I'd suggest the best, strongest, highest, pair of hikers you can buy. In the same boat as you, I invested in a good armored jacket & armored jeans, but settled for high cut Swiss Army hiking boots. Are they as good as purpose-built moto boots, probably not, but they are rugged, waterproof, & the best I could afford & they should be better than sneakers. Remember, the foot can often be trapped in a low side, dragging underneath the weight of the bike. The impact need not be great for a great deal of damage to be done to the foot / ankle.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #38
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
I didn't read all of these posts, but yes boots are needed. Not cheap, not pretty at times, but needed.
Shoes will most likely not stay on your feet to start with. Would you ride with bare feet? How fast can you run? Run as fast as you can and take a power slide into the road wearing no clothing. No one in their right mind would do that, so what makes you thing sliding down the road with several hundred pounds if hot metal for campany would have a differnt result. Your clothes will be removed from you or worn through at least in spots, shoes come off, and injuries will happen while sliding, tumbling, falling and even worse hitting a solid object.
I worked on an ambulance and the first few years, I could never understand why so many people were driving with their shoes in the floor of the car and not on their feet. They started on the feet, just didn't end up there.
Congrats on the 21,000KM (btw, thet is half a summer for a lot of folks) get some gear, laugh with the ones who give you a hard time about it and keep your skin where it belongs. Feet and hands are very special, complicated and painfull to fix when injured, and very incapacitatiing.
Cheers
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #39
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
I wasn't going to voice any opinion on this 'are boots necessary', as it is just beyond my comprehension that anyone should ask such a question. You wont even have to actually ride the bike to do your ankle. I've seen bloke's drop the bike at traffic lights, standing still, and gotten pinned under the bike, with serious injury to the lower leg. My advice to you is, this motorcycling caper might NOT be such good idea for you. This life style is all about attitude and you have a wrong one.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #40
Reino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Its not just accidents that hurt your foot. Usually wen i ride my 1983 tt600, i didn't wear boots (i do now) and i did a lot of mx'ing with the thing. If i landed with my foot in the wrong position i felt it for at least two or three days.

Even when i go riding my 250sx with boots and all, if i land with my foot with the wrong position on the peg it hurts.

Also consider this situation

You are riding along on a wet road (sitting not standing) and you see an obstacle. You want to slow down, so you use your front brake and the front wheel loses traction. It slides to the side from under you and you instinctively slam your foot on the ground to push your self up again.

Do you know how much impact loading you put on your ankle? remember it is a bike falling (force=Mass*acceleration) and you own body weight + the energy of the combined momentum energy of you and the bike.

That instinctive foot slamming is hard to avoid and those boots support your ankle by distributing the force over a larger area by using the wedge shape of your Gastrocnemius muscle, the hard boot and tight fitting.

I learned my lessons the hard and painful way.

Sorry for the long winded explanation

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #41
TimothyCaseTimothy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
As someone who goes to work and responds to boot-less (and helmet-less) motorcycle wrecks, let me suggest to you that you search "de-gloved" foot, arm, hand, etc. or "compound or open ankle fracture." I upgraded my boots to the adventure style which combines street and mx into a useable format. Looks fine off the bike, protects the heck out of you on the bike.
TimothyCaseTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #42
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
.. However all these stories of boots helping or where they could have helped have summed up the need for boots as necessary for a typical crash and not an atypical crash....
I'll pick some up by next spring as well as some gloves which are way over due.
Good job!
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #43
bikefree
misadventurer

Oddometer: 278
I realize that boots are necessary, but are boots with armor necessary on the tarmac? We have 2 images of riders who had armored boots that still had serious injuries. Both claim that they would have been worse off without the boots they had. Are we so sure that Combat Lites, leather work boots, combat boots or any heavy leather boots would have been any different. I have been down in a high speed fall on the highway wearing work boots and didn't have even the slightest injury to my feet.

I am looking at upgrading boots, do most of my riding on road, and think there is merit to the argument.

Bart Simpson

bikefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefree View Post
I realize that boots are necessary, but are boots with armor necessary on the tarmac? We have 2 images of riders who had armored boots that still had serious injuries. Both claim that they would have been worse off without the boots they had. Are we so sure that Combat Lites, leather work boots, combat boots or any heavy leather boots would have been any different. I have been down in a high speed fall on the highway wearing work boots and didn't have even the slightest injury to my feet.

I am looking at upgrading boots, do most of my riding on road, and think there is merit to the argument.
Totally depends on the crash.

I try to make mine the gentle kind I can walk away from, but that rarely works.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #45
Reino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefree View Post

As far as i know raod boots are designed for two main injury types, sliding and unwanted "bending" that tears ligaments.

My dad has a k1200rt and he bought himself a pair of comfy steel toe boots, you should also consider the bike. On my dad's rt your feet are inside deep "pockets" and are protected by the engine.

but on something like an yamaha R1 or an xt600 you legs are not as well protected from sliding and forceful "bending".

Sorry for the image sizes.

"Nothing makes me smile more than the muscles in my face." - Hendrik Moller

Similar project in the works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Jms6MyCY.

Reino screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 04:30 PM
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote