User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
crooked roads OP
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Motorcycle trip diary 1916

Just thought I'd ask .Older lady just gave me a Diary of a person she knew (or was related to ). It was a trip from Montgomery ,Alabama to Ablington, Va. and back. He was 16 years old riding a Indian motorcycle. 68 pages( note book size) . Trip took 859 miles in 43 hours 35 min. I didn't read it completly she yacked some of the story to me. Where's good place to put this adventure?
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,388
You all ready started!

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
crooked roads OP
I'm back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar59
You all ready started!

To much to type, dirt roads....Hudson "super six" train race. It hasn't stopped raining in a weeks roads a not passable! (he was told) 58mph on 1916 bike on dirt road. One picture of bike. 1916 Indian shit 20mph on tar would be wild.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

One page at a time!
Don't keep it to yourself. See what you have started you HAVE to go on...please...don't...stop...

Find someone that would help you post it. But please post it.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
chrishay99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked roads
Just thought I'd ask .Older lady just gave me a Diary of a person she knew (or was related to ). It was a trip from Montgomery ,Alabama to Ablington, Va. and back. He was 16 years old riding a Indian motorcycle. 68 pages( note book size) . Trip took 859 miles in 43 hours 35 min. I didn't read it completly she yacked some of the story to me. Where's good place to put this adventure?
Maybe find a flatbed scanner and upload the pages in the rider's handwriting, or just take the time and retype it. I dunno, the guy wrote it all down for a reason...so that 90 years later we could read it!

Send it to me, I'll upload the scans and/or retype it...sounds like it would be a muy appreciated report.
chrishay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: 9,622
This is a story that has to be told!
kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
crooked roads OP
I'm back

glad ya like it

OK I'll type it same as it is written one page a day. #1The story of the tripfrom Montgomery,Ala -to-Abington,Va. -via- Atlanta ,Ga Spartanburg,SC Charlotte, NC Winston-Salem,NC Roanoke,Va 859 milesin 43hr.35 min Ona 1916 Indian motorcycle By Chas K.Findlay Thur.June 8th 1916 After looking over the motor,filling the tanks and strapping on the baggage the nite before.

dragoon screwed with this post 07-08-2007 at 08:16 PM
Old 07-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
scan?

Any chance you could scan a page a day? It might be easier than typing and that much better for us...

At the very least, post the picture if you can. It will really help to put stories and names with a face and bike!

In any case - love the story; whatever you do, keep it coming. I know that the people who rode Indians for days on end like that were far, far harder-core than anyone thinks they are these days. He probably ha da hardtail and a springer frontend, eh?
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #9
crooked roads OP
I'm back

Page 2

Baggage consisted of rain coat and gal. of oil I was ready to go as soon as i was dressed. Iput on my riding suit was was already dirtyand greasy so you can imagin what I will look likeat the end of the859 miles. I cranked off at 5:20am I wasleaving Montgomery behind me. 5:45I almost froze! I didn't know a june moring could be so cold espesialy in Ala. I found some of yesterdaysnewspapersby the road Looked clean so I stuffed them under my coat.

dragoon screwed with this post 07-08-2007 at 08:17 PM
Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #10
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
magli
knaetsch

Oddometer: 172
Looking forward to this one.

I also suggest scanning if you can. Just the handwriting, and the state of the pages already interest me.

Otherwise, if you do decide to type it, I would think it a good idea to type into a good word processor, and then copy-paste bits onto advrider. That way, when you are finished you will have a good document where is is all typed up in one place.
magli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
crooked roads OP
I'm back

page 3

and then rode on more comfortable.6:00Baggage shook loose but I've got it strapped on now so it won't give me any more trouble.7:00am passed thru Tuskegee,Ala. This is where the big Booker T. Washington negro college is .7:40am Auburn,ala. Had breakfast. This is where big Mititary college is 8:15 am Opelika,Ala. The only thing that happen was i got a gal of gas. The morning was fine and the roads were fair

dragoon screwed with this post 07-08-2007 at 08:17 PM
Old 07-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #13
OldManDragon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Wow! I am looking forward to this story! I wish some of the old Riders from those times in my family and area had kept a journal, it would be priceless to me... I've got a note book I use as a combined maintainance/ride journal. I enjoy rereading it myself! and I'm sure some of the Grandkids will love it someday. We could probably all do better at recording our great times of life.
OldManDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #14
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

WOOHOO! Thank you!!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #15
Tusker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Thumb

Very neat. Looking forward to the next installment...
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote