User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
HighwayChile OP
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
Honda CRF450 Rally

1st heard about it on Dave Edwards FB post, I know they had a kit, cool.....
http://www.teamhrcrally.com/team-hrc-dakar/home/
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
The future ADV motorcycle?

With this announcement, the question is will the CRF450 Rally be sold at retail in the US?

If so, will it be ok for adventure routes?

I could strap on my Giant Loop Great Basin, from the looks of it. It looks like there are side gas tanks.

An exciting possibility!
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
All the details are in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804950

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
With this announcement, the question is will the CRF450 Rally be sold at retail in the US?

I could strap on my Giant Loop Great Basin, from the looks of it. It looks like there are side gas tanks.

An exciting possibility!
Yeah right, like that's gonna happen....
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
All the details are in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804950

Yeah right, like that's gonna happen....
Thank you for the thread. But...

What is so funny there, Adolf? Are you upset because your GOD KTM will be beat, creamed, by a HONDA?

Gawd, you spent your life savings on a KTM that constantly breaks down. Oh yeah, but it is the best fastest in the world for the 5 minutes of trouble-free riding And now a HONDA is going to replace your GOD KTM on the podium
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
How many miles is the top end good for?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
What is so funny there, Adolf? Are you upset because your GOD KTM will be beat, creamed, by a HONDA?

Gawd, you spent your life savings on a KTM that constantly breaks down. Oh yeah, but it is the best fastest in the world for the 5 minutes of trouble-free riding And now a HONDA is going to replace your GOD KTM on the podium
Adolf, seriously? Dude, you are just embarrassing yourself. This is 2012. Not everybody in Austria is a Nazi.

It also seems that you are blissfully unaware that KTM has been building very reliable motorcycles and that they have been dominating most of the off road world for a couple of years now. Neither has anything to do with the country of origin, but rather what they focus on - not just MX unlike the Japanese.

What is so funny is that Honda has never made their works bikes or parts available to the public, so the idea that you will be able to buy a CRF Rally at the dealer is very unrealistic.

Since it would appear that you cannot stay on topic and you don't really have anything meaningful to contribute anyway - neither knowledge of the motorcycle industry nor of racing - I'm not going to argue with you any more.

Have fun now my friend, I am sure you can come up with some more ingeniously creative stereotypes!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
I think if Honda would make a street legal version with a 5 or so gallon tank an appropriate spaced 6 speed tranny they would sell every one they made.

Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Adolf, seriously? Dude, you are just embarrassing yourself. This is 2012. Not everybody in Austria is a Nazi.

It also seems that you are blissfully unaware that KTM has been building very reliable motorcycles and that they have been dominating most of the off road world for a couple of years now. Neither has anything to do with the country of origin, but rather what they focus on - not just MX unlike the Japanese.

What is so funny is that Honda has never made their works bikes or parts available to the public, so the idea that you will be able to buy a CRF Rally at the dealer is very unrealistic.

Since it would appear that you cannot stay on topic and you don't really have anything meaningful to contribute anyway - neither knowledge of the motorcycle industry nor of racing - I'm not going to argue with you any more.

Have fun now my friend, I am sure you can come up with some more ingeniously creative stereotypes!
Lukas good job you are certainly good-natured online and perhaps not trying to be as I said..so I should just STFU and quit giving you flak

Yes, for all of the HRC development the new CRF250L is a PIG! 320lbs! Yes I would dream but you are probably correct that Honda will not sell such a cool motorcycle. I think the WR250R is too heavy but could work with it, and it seems like the best choice of what is available to buy for what I want. However, I do know that my 230L would be better riding some tight stuff locally in the mountains, that is a fact.

I have never pretended to know anything except what I have experienced and my recent riding on my little dog 230L.

I have personally witnessed a few times this summer new KTMs having mechanical issues. So I cannot agree with what you say completely. I like KTMs and think if they were $3k cheaper and reliable I would buy one...I have the $$ but think KTM is overpriced and not as good as the reputation or price. Same for CRF-X, which the local dealer puts on dual sport kits and licenses...not a viable dual sport ride for my purpose or I would have one snce I get good support for my Honda and Ski Doo fron the local dealer.

Thanks for the discussion.

PS- I skitour with an old Bavarian and get real pissy at the certain tone sometimes. Good job being patient and having a good sense of humor. I will just now STFU about giving you grief!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
ADVNCW
Banned

Yes, I agree! I want one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
I think if Honda would make a street legal version with a 5 or so gallon tank an appropriate spaced 6 speed tranny they would sell every one they made.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,871
Quote:

An exciting possibility!

Ummm, you do realise that it is a CRF450 under there?

You claim that KTMs are to unreliable but you want a CRF450 for big trips?

And if you think KTMs are expensive, you would crap your pants at what they would ask for that if it was available to the public.

I would guess it would be close the the KTMs price, north of $40k...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,752
no way in hell i would buy any thing with the CRF450 motor on it. Now if it's a new motor with out the time bomb top end and shitty crank connecting rod bearing maybe, but never with that motor. it's junk, Fast junk but still junk, unless you like to give it a new piston every 20 hours.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
corn falkes

Well I am a KTM owner and still have my bike (690E) and dislike peple who say they are unreliable. Ya I have had my share of Honda Yamaha Kawasaki over the years but none of the compare. Don't get me wrong I would trade in my bike for a Honda Rally bike in a heart beat but.... if and wen it broke down would be shit out of luck. Ya find me a bike with the power of a 690, weight of a 450 and reliability of a scooter with a price tag to match...sign me up
till then ride what you can where you can

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,370
Quote:
Thank you for the thread. But...

And I have a crfx in my garage.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
no way in hell i would buy any thing with the CRF450 motor on it. Now if it's a new motor with out the time bomb top end and shitty crank connecting rod bearing maybe, but never with that motor. it's junk, Fast junk but still junk, unless you like to give it a new piston every 20 hours.
Well it is an engine from a MX bike (but I could say the same for the WR but they have a good reliability rep)...

I thought the top end failures were linked to owners not keeping up with air filter maintenance, and a lot of there earlier (alleged) problems were caused by people thinking that they could treat them like an XR and they expected them to last just as long " because it's a Honda"...

A few did go pop in the Australian safari though...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,322
saw that earlier today in an article online. my first thought was i was surprised they were able to talk jonny campbell into racing it. second was, what an ugly fucking bike.

sorry....

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote