Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #31
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
Isnt that a spot on the mould where the rallye has an extra petcock? Presume its so the back tanks can be drained into the main??

Another thing to do is change the thermostat, read of one instance where the owner thinks a faulty thermostat caused his head to overheat and crack, being the not so proud owner of a cracked head I wish I had been more vigilant on that incase it had a bearing on mine.

I thought that might be the case, may have to look at the parts fiche for the 660...

Haven't heard that one yet but, I'll look into the thermostat, thanks! This is all getting to be a bit of a money pit, but I'm hoping to have a good bike that will be reliable and fun, so it should be worth it.
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #32
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
Isnt that a spot on the mould where the rallye has an extra petcock? Presume its so the back tanks can be drained into the main??

Another thing to do is change the thermostat, read of one instance where the owner thinks a faulty thermostat caused his head to overheat and crack, being the not so proud owner of a cracked head I wish I had been more vigilant on that incase it had a bearing on mine.
I'm a member of the cracked head club as well, but nothing to do with the thermostat. Brokenn exhaust roller bearing that then lodged UNDER the cam (the cam then proceeded to try and push it through the head) did mine. Luckily the local "head job" guy managed to weld it up. 10,000 kms and all good so far.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #33
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

progress

lots of work on the bike lately. I've got the mask and tank painted, and I'll let them sit a week or more to let the paint cure before I clear coat them. I'm pretty happy with the results, but I wouldn't use rattle cans again for white. It took way more paint then I thought it would and it was easy to accidentally sand through to the primer.

I borrowed an air brush to spray the bottom light shroud black and fade it in. I re-sanded it twice because I didn't like the look. I was trying to get it more like the blend on the newer orange bikes but, I thought since I'll be putting a black graphic on the wind screen it would look better blended in a little lower.

Since I'm waiting for all of the paint to cure, I moved on to the swing arm with the kit I bought to rebuild it. One side was rusted in pretty good, the hammer and socket method of extracting the races made things worse. Every time I hammered on them the collars would chip off and break, leaving very little material to bite onto when pushing them out.

I had a bearing puller in my tool box which worked perfect for pushing everything out quickly, I'll use it to put the new bearings in too.

I still have some cleaning to do on the swing arm and there's a few parts I waiting on so I moved on to the sub frame.
I had a few comments that it should be reenforced, and since I'd like to eventually get some hard bags and to ride the bike like it was designed to be ridden, reinforcement was easy to do now and fairly cheap.

I got a piece of 1/8" thick steel plate from work and made a quick template to cut out a shape with my cut off wheel. I think its a bit over kill, but I think it was a good idea.

I stopped by a local shop on my way home from work and had them weld the plate into the frame. I wasn't super happy with the welds, but it seems pretty solid. They though I was crazy wanting a bead all the way around.

I cleaned up the frame, sanded it and hit it with some primer and some black rust paint.

It still needs another coat or two but, I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll let it sit for a week or so to cure then I'll start reassembling the tail.

That's it for now, when I get more done I'll post it.

CSF screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 03:48 AM
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #34
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,736
CSF,
Very nice work.
Impressive.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #35
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
CSF;

Did the welder work for a vineyard because it looks like he made "GRAPES"!!

Other than that, I'm looking forward to the finished product!

Cheers
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #36
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, it feels good to make some tangible progress finally. It's fun ordering parts, but its way more fun to make something.

"Grapes" - that's funny, I'll have to remember that one.

CSF screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 04:01 AM
Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #37
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Couldnt find it quickly but I think it was clintz who posted up a short time age with his second mod of the subframe. 1st was similar to yours, second now reinforces most of the way down.

Will also see if I can take a shot of mine on the weekend.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #38
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Hey Steve;
Can you post a link to the mods clintz did or post pics once yours is done?

Cheers
Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #39
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Very nice job so far. Love the white. Looks great.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #40
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I finished painting the sub-frame tonight. Looking at the frame again I do see where an additional gusset might be a benefit. I think a piece of 1/8" flat bar cut to shape and welded in would be good and it would sort of match what the factory did on the left side.

That all being said, I'm not sure its worth it right now to sand it back down cut the metal and have it welded into place... I don't really know if will block something that has to go back into that area. It will be easier to do it next winter when I rip everything apart again to do maintenance.

I cleaned everything up and got the all bearings into the swing arm, now I'm waiting for the new chain guard and chain guide to arrive. I cleaned off the swing arm, Then I lightly polished everything up with a wire wheel.

fresh new bearings

all greased up with everything in place

I zip tied everything so it stays together until I'm ready to install.

My wife looked at my hands tonight and said "you need a manicure", I said "what are you talking about, I have a "MAN-icure". There's no amount of scrubbing that seems to get all the gunk off my hands, I can never seem to keep my gloves on. Anyway, that's it for tonight.

CSF screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 04:27 AM
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #41
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
damn that thing is clean. nice work!
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #42
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Wow - Extreme Clean!

Mastic Acid eh? I will have to check that stuff out. Do you brush it on or soak it? Where do you get some? I assume it removes EVERYTHING, including paint?
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #43
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I went back and look at what I used, I posted the wrong thing. In the end, I think I'd have been better off with a wire wheel and then some metal sealer / polish. But the swing arm does look super clean right now.

CSF screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 04:49 AM
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #44
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Lookin Good CSF!!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #45
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I forgot to add, the bearings in the kit I got were marked HK2012. They are a caged bearing, which is nice. I'm prone to losing small needles like the ones originally put in. Although its probably easier to get all the junk that builds up out off a none caged bearing.

CSF screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 06:29 AM