Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #91
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I'm doing a HID kit and adding an extra horn and a few other accessories but thats it... still there are a bunch of connecters that don't seem to match up. I connected all of the Molex's that I could and hooked up the battery (i think its dead) and all I got from the dash was a neutral light... is it weird there there are a bunch or connecters that don't match up?
Also I went through the air box thread more then a few times... Thats where I came up with my air box mods... if you have better data on air box mods I'd be happy to use it...

CSF screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 03:32 PM
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #92
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

seriously though - I really need some pics of you electrical connections...
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #93
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF View Post
I would really appreciate if anyone could post some detailed pics of their wire loom...? please! I have a diagram, but its of little help. Any real world photos or help would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same year as you so let me know what you need pics of and I can snap them for you no problem!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #94
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Bike is looking nice CSF!
mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #95
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Don't forget, there are quite a few connectors that are not used under the dash of an Adventure.

Sorry I can't help you with photo's of the electrical as my bike has been changed to the Enduro set up.

Cheers
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #96
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the way its all coming along.

I'd really appreciate a few pics of the right side, around the carb and the side of the air box where the CDI is... any pics unused molex connectors would be also be appreciated too.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #97
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-gun-640 View Post
Hi Bill, I'm confused now.... I may be misunderstanding what people are talking about when they say they are doing "the airbox mods"... I was under the impression that the go is not to replace the filter with a screen but rather just to replace the solid plastic side panel with a screen to allow more air into the airbox which then gets filtered by the nicely oiled air filter, am I correct?

From what you said above, it sounds like you're saying that the side panel is hollowed out as CSF has done, a screen put in the side panel as the only means of filtering the air and then no actual air-filter used to filter the air once inside the airbox... if this is the case then I'm with you, I wouldn't be doing that
Young-gun,
There is an old debate about the airbox and the BST40 diaphram carb that stems from from some dyno work done at the Sommers KTM dealership in Austria. They opened the airbox on the side an installed a rectangular screen and left the snorkel in place. They rejetted or re-needled, can't remember and got some extra horsepower on the dyno.

Someone got the idea to remove the snorkle and cut the snorkle hole bigger to accomplish the same thing. This had the advantage of keeping the ingress of water at a higher level and also dust is forced to enter at the seat level.

When more open mufflers were used some of us reasoned that more 'air' was needed from the intake end of things.

What I am saying is if you remove the snorkle and cut the hole bigger, don't block the opening with fine screen because you will restrict the flow of air into the airbox.

With the airbox closed on the sides and open on the top(enlarged hole, no snorkle, no screen) the system runs fairly clean even in heavy dust. Whe you pull the foam filter to clean it you will find dirt on the top but it will be clean on the bottom.

If you are far from home you can remove the filter and wash it clean with gas from the tank. It will dry quickly in the sun. Knock off anything loose after it dries and oil it with engine oil.

The engine will run nicely and thank you especially if you have a bunch of pavement to cover crusing back to the crib.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #98
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 722
I have installed an 39mm FCR on my 2005 640A and also a Air Fuel Ratio meter. The bike was running rich across the board and I couldn't correct it easily, so as part of the tuning process I rode the bike without the side of the filter.

No observable difference in the AFR at all. This is with the snorkel removed and a Staintune muffler.

I also know this is controversial on this board to mention opening the airbox has no affect.

But put me on the fence regarding "opening the airbox".

David.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom

dnrobertson screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 10:21 PM
dnrobertson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #99
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've clipped all of my connecters back together and charged up my battery. I tested the battery and it seems to be giving me 12volts. I went over everything again and can't see that I've missed any connections other then the fuel level sensor and rear brake switch. I get nothing at the dash except a neutral light. The head lights won't fire, no horn, signals or anything that would indicate life in the system. Am I missing something? Any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #100
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,799
Quote:
I've clipped all of my connecters back together and charged up my battery. I tested the battery and it seems to be giving me 12volts. I went over everything again and can't see that I've missed any connections other then the fuel level sensor and rear brake switch. I get nothing at the dash except a neutral light. The head lights won't fire, no horn, signals or anything that would indicate life in the system. Am I missing something? Any suggestions?
Did you check inside the ignition keyswitch? It is not uncommon for the soldered terminals to break off inside the switches base cup causing a certain # of electrical woes...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #101
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
I have installed an 39mm FCR on my 2005 640A and also a Air Fuel Ratio meter. The bike was running rich across the board and I couldn't correct it easily, so as part of the tuning process I rode the bike without the side of the filter.

No observable difference in the AFR at all. This is with the snorkel removed and a Staintune muffler.

I also know this is controversial on this board to mention opening the airbox has no affect.

But put me on the fence regarding "opening the airbox".

David.

David, it would be interesting to restrict the top of the airbox back to snorkle size to see if you get a different reading. Like you I have run my BST40 with the side panel off and it made no difference I could notice.

I had a mouse issue with my BMW airhead and 'screened' the intake openings to the airbox.

The motorcycle would not run over 70 mph.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #102
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

gunnerbuck - I googled your suggestion and found a few threads that described the symptoms that I'm experiencing. I went out this morning and took the connecter off:

2 of the wires were broken and another 2 were just about to snap off their solider points. I'm going to fix it today and fill the connecter with silicone. I'm hoping this is what causing my problems... I'm going to go over my wire loom as well and check for any worn areas.

CSF screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 08:24 AM
Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #103
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Woah I think I'll be checking mine.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #104
CSF OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Damn it. That didn't help. I still get nothing but the neutral light coming on. This is getting frustrating now...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #105
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Quote:
I've clipped all of my connecters back together and charged up my battery. I tested the battery and it seems to be giving me 12volts
This might be the trouble, shouldn't the battery be reading more than 12v? Try boosting?