User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
wipfel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Henry Horton State Park - TN

Part of Liberia’s attempt to get a ride report (or reports) from each state park in TN.

A quick ride report from my trip to Henry Horton State Park this morning. Park map.

Headed out just before 8am. A little wet and foggy but I’m on the Connie with no deadlines, so it’s a good morning! If you PM me, I'll tell you how I got the lamppost so leafy. ;)

Decided to take the most direct route, so it’s down Nolensville Pike with a few pics of “downtown.” Nolensville is a quaint town that seems to play off of its small-town vibe to bring in local tourism dollars.

I pulled over to the shoulder for a few quick pics, and while I was putting the camera back in the tank bag and saw this sign. I thought to myself, “I hope the pro’s aren't around to see my sad attempts .”

One of my favorite sections of Nolensville Pike. The pic doesn’t do it justice, really.

I saw this sight coming up on the right side of the road, and I was curious enough to stop. My first thought was a field full of tree stands.

Oh, airsoft. Might have to re-visit these guys at some point.

Got to the park, shed some gear and started looking for some good pic opportunities. I really enjoy photography, but haven’t put much time or energy into it in the last 3 or 4 years. Henry Horton proved more photogenic that I expected. Unfortunately, the camera didn’t capture the true colors. The scenes ended up being duller than they were in reality.

Found some steps down to the Duck River (through the trees on the left) and investigated to see what I could see.

The first thing that caught my eye. If you can’t tell what this is, someone left a paper coffee cup and a thermos. I was tempted, but don’t need a thermos, so I left it alone. Plus it was pretty muddy and my touring boots don’t like mud.

I took a few pics and was kinda taking in the views when I looked down and saw this little guy. Looked fresh, but I couldn’t see what happened to him. Maybe he got flipped in the river and drowned??

This one surprised me a little. I couldn’t figure out what a Stop sign would be doing in the river. Moved a little closer and the smaller sign below says “Canoes stop here.”

Got a little artistic.

On the backside of the park the road split, but I wasn’t sure if one of them was public or not. Decided to skip it and move on. I stopped after 50 yards or so and took a pic looking back. The house there at the split looked like a private dwelling, so I didn’t want to step on any toes.

A little demo station with a sugar cane press.

I started thinking about that road again and the park layout, and I figured “what the heck.” U-turned and took the girl off-road (or as off-road as I’m willing to get with this top-heavy cruise missle). Saw a few other private homes and reconsidered about a hundred yards down. There are 3 or 4 just behind the trees to the left. I conducted a 3-point turn and made my way back to the asphalt. This was a mistake on my part. If I’d continued on, I would have discovered the archery and trap range.

The wife and I took a bike trip to Lake Barkley in KY recently. While we were staying at the state park lodging, I couldn't get images from the 50’s and 60's out of my head. Now I wasn't alive then, but I could see families taking vacations to these parks in my mind's eye. The kids swimming in the lake and pools and the parents enjoying a simpler life than we live now. Part of me wishes we could get back to that. Like Lake Barkley the facilities are a bit dated in construction and design. This pic sucks, but this is the bulk of the HH Park infrastructure consisting of the pool, the Horton Inn and some other facility buildings.

Diving boards? Hmm…liability rebels, I guess. It's too bad we've robbed our children of much of the responsibility of taking care of themselves and using their heads.

Some fellow motorcyclists were enjoying the hospitality of the Horton Inn.

Glamour shots of the Connie.

I decided I need to go back sometime and round out the tour, but today I had to head back home. Took a straight route out to I-65 via Hwy 99 and back to the house. Thanks for following along!

Wipfel

2010 Concours 14
wipfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Jimmym1296
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thanks for the pics. Heading to TN for work next week, no bike though.
Jimmym1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Nice pics! Love Tennessee! And the Connie...
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Great Report

Thanks for a great write-up. I have about half of my ride to Tims Ford State Park up. Like you, I'm close to Henry Horton State Park (less than 30 miles). It's actually a nice park to camp in or to have groups stay. Their lodge is a basic (70's style) place and their restuarant serves pretty good food. The Sunday buffet is good.

Maybe we can make one of these rides together sometime.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Gooner
DC 43

Oddometer: 121
Good write-up on the park and nice pics of the Connie.
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipfel View Post

Thanks for following along!

Wipfel
Thanks for the report! I can't wait to visit all these places.
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote