Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
cpeebs38 OP
Say what....

Oddometer: 65
2012 KTM 690 Two Problems .... well so far.

So finally got the nerve up to got get a new bike after having my 6-days 640 for 12 years.... Besides needing new fillings I love the bike

So now the new bike.... After the S500 or that Saturday had the low pressure oil light come on "from time to time" higher the revs went away.... After reading from the inmates, was hoping the first service (oil change from me) will clean the filters and screen and away I go....Well. Some where along the way before I changed the oil I left the key of thus a dead battery...

Becuase I had the low oil pressure light on I decided to change the oil with a "cold" engine, or just not warmed up....

I did have some frangments in the screens which I cleaned very well change the oil and crossed my fingers....

Now when I start the bike I have the temp switch on on and all the bars on the flashing indicating its over heating however the bike it cold....the oil pressure light seems to be switching off....sooner now... The battery was charged with a 2 amp trickle charger.... The other thing is that the bike says, after I rode it around the block, I am going 386 KM per hour... I (think) I am fast but not that fast

The nearest dealer is 2 hours away.... Please help....

to recap.....

Low pressure oil light on after first oil change.....
Battery died then crazy temp bars flashing and temp light on when cold....
Crazy KM per hour.... I am guessing related to battery dying....

Thanks for the help...

Cpeebs38
cpeebs38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,016
My 12 has been in the shop for the mystery low oil pressure light. They claim they fixed it, but won't pick up till next week. The service writer read the list of parts, but went too fast. They were thinking it was the panel two weeks ago.

I know Razee changed the sending unit, some gaskets, an oil filter and some other things. I'll post you the list when I get it and talk to the tuner.

I just had the bike service at 1k miles. It had 2800 when the light started coming on. I was told the 2012 has a different oil filter and they were is short supply. The tuner concluded if the 2011 filter was installed the light would have come on right away. However, I know thay changed the oil filter so maybe that was it?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
cpeebs38 OP
Say what....

Oddometer: 65
It will be interesting what you find out... The "short" filter is different and has a hole at both ends.... That is not the problem for me at least..... That would be an easy fix....I rode today and the speedo issue is also effecting my odometer. So my bike has about 550 miles but it shows 14,278 as of the end of my ride today.....

Love the bike except for this pain..... If you get a chance let me know what you find out about the low oil light... I am thinking my whole instrument panel is f.....up. But riding around with a low oil pressure light does take a way from the ride....
cpeebs38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
First of all I had absolutely nothing to do with any problems that bike has, I only rode it around the parking lot and down the road a ways, I didn't even get the front wheel off the ground, honest.

It really sucks having issues like this, especially on a new bike. I know we have replaced a couple of the dash computers on bikes with those type. It could possibly just be a bad display I guess. It certainly sounds like something like that.

Let me know if I can help an any way and let me know what you figure out.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeebs38 View Post
It will be interesting what you find out... The "short" filter is different and has a hole at both ends.... That is not the problem for me at least..... That would be an easy fix....I rode today and the speedo issue is also effecting my odometer. So my bike has about 550 miles but it shows 14,278 as of the end of my ride today.....

Love the bike except for this pain..... If you get a chance let me know what you find out about the low oil light... I am thinking my whole instrument panel is f.....up. But riding around with a low oil pressure light does take a way from the ride....
I would disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes to reset the ecu and dash. Also a bad battery can give those same symptoms.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Are you using 15/50w oil fully synthetic.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote