Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,898
Help with eTrex Legend H

I check this forum regularly, and decided a while ago that I want a Montana Issue for me is that the price of admission to the Montana club doesn't fit the current finances, so for now I use a car-type Nuvi for road trips, and otherwise do without.

I canoe camp and would like a GPS for that, but the primary use would be motorcycle. I want to plan and ride routes, on and off-road, and to download routes from the club, for dual-sport rides.

Yesterday, I was looking for a trailer bulb in Canadian Tire, and somehow I ended up in Sporting Goods where I noticed a close-out on the eTrex Legend H. Couldn't resist $67, hoping this would be OK until I can afford a Montana.

The controls seem OK, screen is tiny and gray (it cost $67, right?), but the base-map is really poor, no detail at all. If I have to pay for maps for better roads and for topos, this won't be the bargain I'd hoped it would be.

The age of the Legend H is such that the documentation doesn't mention Basecamp, but I suspect Basecamp is compatible (rather than Mapsource). So my plan is to download Basecamp, and look on-line for road maps and topos for Ontario, and then if that works, to look farther afield.

I have downloaded Basecamp, and I have downloaded some OSM maps image files for the area around me, but I can't see the OSM maps in Basecamp.

Basecamp doesn't seem to "see" img files.

I have 30 days to return the Legend if I decide I just can't practically use it.

Thanks!

jon_l screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 07:05 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Surprised no feedback. This isn't a Legend H question really, but the title was perhaps poorly chosen.

This is really a Basecamp question - I have opensource maps but can't see them in Basecamp.

Anyone?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
legend

I had a Legend a while back. For the money, it served me well. Replaced by a Vista Cx. I used Mapsource. I only used it to load Garmin maps but you might want to give it a try.

Drew

Ride report: Orange in the Greens
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I checked my receipt, and I had 7 days to return the Legend, so I returned it on day 7. I'll wait for something closer to what I really want.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
I guess it's too late to help you. I didn't see this til today.

I've got an Etrex Legend and it is the perfect adventure GPS IMHO. It's very durable, water proof, and cheap. I spent $40 on the one I have now since my previous one got bashed on the Arkansas river.

I have a program called expertGPS. You can use that to put any map you want into your Etrex. You can download a route off of google maps, or draw it yourself. It does take some extra preparation, but you know that you are following the path you uploaded - not something that was stored on your GPS years ago.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 173
which gps ?

google up gspcentral in Calgary because they have a good site to compare models. I've an old Zumo 550 and bought a SPOT recently from them. First class in the help department and good prices. My Zumo has guided on many rides; I've touched 42 states and 10 provinces on a Vstrom; I've a 20 year background in land surveying, lots of sailing experience and a past commander with CPS, so I have some clue as to maps, charts and navigation. By all means send me a pm if you want more help choosing your gps. My suggestion, if you want to save some $ is to get a refurbished Zumo 550.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
I guess it's too late to help you. I didn't see this til today.

I've got an Etrex Legend and it is the perfect adventure GPS IMHO. It's very durable, water proof, and cheap. I spent $40 on the one I have now since my previous one got bashed on the Arkansas river.

I have a program called expertGPS. You can use that to put any map you want into your Etrex. You can download a route off of google maps, or draw it yourself. It does take some extra preparation, but you know that you are following the path you uploaded - not something that was stored on your GPS years ago.
Thanks Gravity. I struggled with open source maps and Basecamp, and decided to pack it in for now. My 55 year old eyes need a bigger & brighter screen anyway.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,143
FWIW, I just got a eTrex 20 for a carry-around small gps backup for my Montana. I was able to load maps easily with MapInstall. The eTrex 20 is only $165 at gpscity.com. It is color and uses the same interface as the Montana except it is not a touch screen but works great. The screen is bright and easy to read for my 62 year old eyes even though it has a 2.2" screen. It is not a Montana, but for the price is a super unit. It has advanced tracking and routes very well. I am very happy with it for it's purpose. I do recommend that you look at it. The next step up would be an Oregon 450, but that is about $100 more. There is a new beta software release for the eTrex 20/30 that supports Adventures.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
rod172
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Been carrying a refurbished Legend HCx for three years. Great all around unit for what I do.
rod172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
FWIW, I just got a eTrex 20 for a carry-around small gps backup for my Montana. I was able to load maps easily with MapInstall. The eTrex 20 is only $165 at gpscity.com. It is color and uses the same interface as the Montana except it is not a touch screen but works great. The screen is bright and easy to read for my 62 year old eyes even though it has a 2.2" screen. It is not a Montana, but for the price is a super unit. It has advanced tracking and routes very well. I am very happy with it for it's purpose. I do recommend that you look at it. The next step up would be an Oregon 450, but that is about $100 more. There is a new beta software release for the eTrex 20/30 that supports Adventures.
Thanks FC, I have looked at the eTrx 20 on-line, need to see one in person.

The touch-screen units (like Oregon) prior to the Montana seem to have visibility issues in sunlight, based on the side-by-side comparisons on Gpscity.ca. With a visor and sometimes sunglasses, they look all but unreadable.