Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #181
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
... generalizing of course...
Ya think?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #182
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Ya think?
Do you not agree? If not, can you tell me why you dont? Im genuinely interested to know since I admittedly have little experience outside of American emasculation.

Generalizations exist for a reason. While they can be offensive and not accurate in all cases, they typically reflect a commonly exhibited trait in a particular group.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #183
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
I recon if yer 'ole lady iz tell'in ya when & where you can ride, ya might as well turn in yer man card. (If ya ever had one in the 1st place?)

Beeeeooootch!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #184
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,243
Can't judge a book by it's cover .....

dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #185
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
I do not hate men, but I do hate men who beat women, start wars, utilize force to get what they want, shut down the moment "feelings" come into play, etc. Masculinity itself is not the problem- its the manner in which society directs masculinity.

Sounds good. Nothing, thanks for asking I take no issue with this, and your confidence is probably why you have a wife of 28 years, and hers is probably why she has a husband of 28 years. I dont really think we disagree about anything actually, you?
Cool! Many people, of both genders, use those words as code for misandry. I won't buy into the code. Society, in general, is a following mentality, individuals are leaders. I would willing use force to get/keep liberty and freedom and to stop those who would prey on others. If that is what you means we are, indeed, in agreement.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 AM   #186
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I voted that shit down on YouTube.

I got tired of whiner spoken-word / poets on stages years ago... and fast. I watched the whole thing and realized the speaker would rather play the victim that others have to Man Up to support or save. Far too many of those in the USA already.

The dude is just pissed off because he has been told to man up many times but after many tries, he has found that he is incapable. Rather than attempt to better himself and fight through emotional or physical pain, he would rather search for unsubstantiated hidden meanings to try and bolster a false belief that anyone manning up is some type of chauvinist that is lead by the wrist through media ad campaigns. The best part? He is really only spitting out this diatribe in an attempt to get laid by the dipshit sensitive artist feminist types that believe this mouthful of verbal manspunk. Deep down inside, he is everything that he pretends to hate.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #187
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
The dude is just pissed off because he has been told to man up many times but after many tries, he has found that he is incapable. Rather than attempt to better himself and fight through emotional or physical pain, he would rather search for unsubstantiated hidden meanings to try and bolster a false belief that anyone manning up is some type of chauvinist that is lead by the wrist through media ad campaigns. The best part? He is really only spitting out this diatribe in an attempt to get laid by the dipshit sensitive artist feminist types that believe this mouthful of verbal manspunk. Deep down inside, he is everything that he pretends to hate.
At first I was like . Then I read it again and I was like .

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #188
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103

Do a lot of you guys actually put that much thought into things..??....
Maybe I am just a simple man.?. I don't even understand a big part of what you wrote..or maybe I just don't want to...
You mention Society ..do you really do things or say things because you think society wants you to..??..

Quote:
Ad hominem attack to dismiss argument. Ignore argument. Insert bottom line of why I am right.

Perhaps she is wrong, but I give her argument more credit than yours. This is simply on observation that she attacked noones character and merely stated her opinion while you attacked her character and inserted your opinion as the "bottom line".

Most of us have heard the generalization that women go after the jerks and ignore the nice guys, and there is a reason for this; many of the "nice" guys have an ephemeral personal identity, and do not possess the masculine characteristics necessary to stand up for themselves (in regards to women). The jerks, as terrible as it is and as wrong as they treat the women, stand up to their women and exhibit some form of power. Power is attractive to a female, even though that power can come in many forms (being able to slough off the negatives in life and look optimistically to the future, societal power, etc).

Evolved masculinity, in my opinion, is a man who is willing to communicate, entertain (always) and participate in compromise (when it is logical), demands respect for himself but also demands himself to treat others with respect, yet still attempts to better himself as a man- better the aspects of his personality he invests time into.

While I dont think it is by the collusion of some men in a dark room somewhere, I think over time masculinity has been redirected to useless avenues; more specifically, the proliferation of our capitalist global model of commerce has commercialized masculinity (as it has femininity). Im not condemning capitalism here so much as pointing out that an excessive amount of any one thing is not good (except motorcycles ); the founders of the United States for instance made it clear in correspondence with one another that the United States would not survive a morally bankrupt society (and in their case many of them favored religion as the moral backdrop for a strong country, though opinions differed and differ). Masculinity has been directed to roars in sport stadiums, leather chaps and the "social motorcycle" badboy, using immoral force to accrue financial wealth, and beers with buddies on poker night. While all of these things are fine in moderation, at some point a man has to step up and direct his masculinity at the ills of a society. Some men certainly do this, and many who dont would if society gave them the chance. It is a cold and exploitative world out there under the surface of smiling models on billboards; this is part of what draws many of us here (in my opinion again)..
ct-ktm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #189
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
At first I was like . Then I read it again and I was like .

Jim

It's been a loooong morning.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #190
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
She won't let you have both?
she will, but with something like a 690RR... and an aerocharger!!!
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #191
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Jackie Gleason and Art Carney on the Honeymooners started all this shit.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #192
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I think this question hit a nerve with a lot of people.
Judging by the number of pages of replies it has generated in such a short time.

The odd thing is - on the EXACT same day I had this conversation with another guy at work.

I had just come out of a meeting with some girlie men and had to vent to my peer.

While we can laugh about this to some extent I am starting to see this as a REAL problem facing the survival of our society. And that ain't no laughin' matter !

This has worked for me pretty well for 27 years - "if you wanna be the King you gotta treat your lady like THE Queen" My Queen was somewhat perturbed when I bought a motorcycle. I had informed her previously that I was looking for one and her reply was "well, go ahead if you think you have to." SO I DID. (I would have anyway)

She is still here and although she is a bit worried about my safey I know for certain that she wouldn't want to be married to a man that didn't live life. We believe in the whole "2 into 1" thing we also both know that each of the "1's" has to "ride your own ride" in life to some degree too to keep from going crazy.

J
jdfog2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #193
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,900
My take is that so many guys today (think Gen X and younger) have not experienced much beyond TV and the movies. The concept of what a "real man" is is distorted. We have a kind of caricature of what these real men are, and it is make up of little bits and pieces stuck together with no stuffing behind it. If boys aren't exposed to fully-formed men and don't know what it means to have depth of experience, they will grow up to be shallow and, well, kind of useless.

These emasculated men aren't just emasculated, IMO, but also missing chunks of personhood. They end up defining themselves by others. This is a sure ticket to misery.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #194
trailNtent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
You guys are deep. I always took it as a common bullshitting phrase used in standard everyday bullshitting while bored at the gas pump, office, ect. I don't think it means much of anything.
trailNtent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #195
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I'm all for reaching a happy medium on the home front. but many guys that I talk to sound like they are 12 and complaining that their mommy won't let them come out and play. Either they are making their wife sound like the bad guy, when in fact they choose not to ride for whatever reasons they have, or they are letting someone decide what they can and can't do.

If it's the former, I love my wife and genuinely want to be with her, so I wouldn't paint her in a negative light to other people in order to hide my personal choice of not riding/shooting, etc. Why would people try to make themselves look better to a stranger/acquaintance/office worker at the expense of denigrating their spouse?

If it's the latter, I just don't get it. During a previous life, when my ex-wife and I met, we both agreed that we didn't want children, we wanted to see the world. A couple of years after marriage, she told me that she wanted to have children. I said that I still didn't want any. A couple of weeks later, she told me that she stopped taking birth control, started taking fertility drugs and if I didn't like that I could leave. It took me about three days of thinking things over, but I decided to leave. She couldn't understand that I wasn't going along with her ultimatum.
Oh Yeah,the kid thing.
When a woman's bio clock goes off,combined with a lifetime of conditioning to make her want babies above all else,theres no stopping them,no way in the world. They will do anything,say anything in order to get married and failing that will get pregnant by hook or by crook.
Granted every child is a miracle and everybody should have one,having a choice about said miracle is a good thing.
Your real lucky she actually told you she had gone off the pill,many just do so and then boom,big surprise baby on the way like it or not. Im not denigrating women or babies,Ive just seen this happen to too many friends for it to be a rarity.

As far as riding,if its a big part of your life,you ride. If its just a casual hobby you will quit when mom says no more.
A new couch becomes more important then keeping your bike,so it goes.