more psychobabble.

GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #227
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
and when I brought it in the kitchen to tear the suspension down, I thought a vein was gonna burst in her forehead.
Piker. Bring an entire car interior and convertible top into the living room for a full tear-down and rebuild, while you've got a 4-cyclinder block torn down on a stand in the family room. FWIW, DO NOT put parts with brake dust or gear oil on them in an acrylic bathtub, unless you have hard-waxed the tub with several layers before doing so. You will either have to replace the tub or strip the wax if you want to see it clean again. lol DAMHIK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
By definition the perfect house is 800 sq ft, with a 6000 sq ft shop.
I see nothing wrong with this.

I think GS1200 has some good insights. Women who can provide for themselves do not have it as easy as it looks, because they are wearing both roles, without the emotional support of a "man of the house". If the man in her life cannot fill this emotional role even though he is not required to fill the other traditional parts of the role, she will not have much use for him. So it is very important that the guy be a fully-formed person who can exist independently of his immediate situation. If he only knows little pieces of "manhood" and they do not cover the situation he is in, both will suffer dearly for it.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #228
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancy_ninja View Post
*rolls eyes* I think he's spot on; excellent, well thought-out observations.. *goes back to reading the thread*
just because it's a lot to read doesn't make it "more correct." some folks cover up for being weak on facts by being long on discourse.

i didn't see much in there that hadn't already been said in this thread in some way, shape or form. i was left trying to separate the new/unique items from the "already said"...which isn't effective at getting the point across by any measure.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #229
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
just because it's a lot to read doesn't make it "more correct." some folks cover up for being weak on facts by being long on discourse.

i didn't see much in there that hadn't already been said in this thread in some way, shape or form. i was left trying to separate the new/unique items from the "already said"...which isn't effective at getting the point across by any measure.
I certainly disclosed more than you have (edit clarification: more than you have simply by attacking people with the term "psychobabble"). I give much credit to others for what I know and enjoy in my life- people who pioneer ideas and pioneer understanding. But sometimes, its not whether or not you have new ideas but how well you put existing ideas together. This was my attempt you - again, I insult noone and someone has to come along insulting myself and others.

Weak on facts? Ok, bring it! Tell me what parts im wrong about and we'll discuss it logically- instead of flaming me for some reason I dont really understand.

**EDIT** The first sentence is nothing more than a veiled attempt to discredit what I have to say by attacking me instead of arguing the beliefs I have on this subject- beliefs I have repeatedly said are my opinion.

Way, shape, or form? A DR650 is very light for a road bike. That same weight figure makes it a pig in the dirt. When discussing the DR650, one needs to clarify what its weight does in different situations. Sometimes the same fact needs to be addressed from different perspectives- so, if you feel I have restated things, which I dont really agree with, it is nonetheless due to the fact that sometimes ideas need to be looked at from a different angle.

GSF1200S screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 02:49 AM
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #230
fancy_ninja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:

OK, but does this discourse make it "psychobabble," or am I left to interpret EVERYTHING you said above in the ONE phrase you offer in "psychobabble"? How is YOUR "response" any more effective in getting a NEW or UNIQUE point across? At least GSF1200S is explaining himself in logical WORDS, not emotional insults. Between the two, I'd choose the more verbose response to clarify WHAT was being said, rather than a dismissive insult. Like anyone on here, you're more than welcome to elucidate on WHY you disagree with what is being said, or to respond like you did above the first time instead of trolling. As always, just my opinion here. It's annoying to have to separate the gems in this thread from the trolling/flaming, and doesn't do anything productive..

"...You speak like a green girl, unsifted in such perilous circumstance." -Polonius in Hamlet
fancy_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #231
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I've been dealing with the equality thing for years. My wife minored in Gender Studies. Guess which gender they studied?
Anyhow, after many years, she now makes more than me. I keep asking her where she is taking the family on vacation. I also ask her where she is taking us out to dinner?
I used to foot the bill on occasion when I made more than her. Of corse, any big expenses I had to cover because she was always broke. Now it is my turn to sit back and let her enjoy the responsibility of being a bread winner. Our carpets are trashed from her pets, so I am looking forward to new carpets.
So, as far as I am concerned, feminism is great. It is all in how you play it gentlemen. :-)
I'm with you here, too. I have no problems with some role reversals. When I was between jobs my wife bought me a new set of tires and my first set of leather riding pants.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #232
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post

This concerns me.. gonna need to grab a few beers and pick a fight with a bear or something
I'd add in "nail some college chicks", but then, you might grab too many beers beforehand, get a little confused, and we'd be hearing about a scene from out of Super Troopers.

The bears up in Ocala NF are some real sluts...I've heard.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #233
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 378
Well said GSF. Neatly done!
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #234
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,304
Well, I just "Manned Up," spoke to the boss when he unfairly labeled a group of workers as lazy when the reality was that no supplies nor information had been given to them for days due to computer problems we've had for days... and got fired. (hence me posting this at 11:40 AM - just got home on a nice sunny day)

I'm 41 years old, I hold a degree from a well known university, and have worked my butt off for most of those years... so this was my first time getting fired, lol.

So much for manning up, but I'm taking it that they were looking for reasons to get rid of people due to supply issues and losses of contracts that were hindering anything we could do anyway. I'm still not sure how to take it, but I know I did what was right (albeit gutsy and more than the owner wanted to hear when he was trying to belittle people).

Is it more masculine to be out of a job than to cower before unfairness?
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #235
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,043
Quote:
more psychobabble.

Nonsense. To overthrow oppression is the only legitimate uses of force, be it oppression from an individual or a system.

Violence is a form of oppression.

Ridicule is a form of oppression, although it doesn't justify the use of force in most cases.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #236
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
It's even more masculine to be out of a job out of principle when the principle is larger than your direct self interest, but yeah, you're heading down the Human Ills road now, beware.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #237
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Well, I just "Manned Up," spoke to the boss when he unfairly labeled a group of workers as lazy when the reality was that no supplies nor information had been given to them for days due to computer problems we've had for days... and got fired. (hence me posting this at 11:40 AM - just got home on a nice sunny day)

I'm 41 years old, I hold a degree from a well known university, and have worked my butt off for most of those years... so this was my first time getting fired, lol.

So much for manning up, but I'm taking it that they were looking for reasons to get rid of people due to supply issues and losses of contracts that were hindering anything we could do anyway. I'm still not sure how to take it, but I know I did what was right (albeit gutsy and more than the owner wanted to hear when he was trying to belittle people).

Well that just sucks a root. Having played both sides of that coin, I can say in the long run you will be happier with yourself for having done the right thing.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #238
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Interesting read. Some of y'all are a bit verbose, but most of you are absolutely right.

Think I'll head back over to reading about motorcycles and ride reports, now. Carry on...
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #239
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
However, I think most men who are emasculated are that way because they prefer to avoid confrontation. It starts before they get married with the woman using sex to keep a man in his place. Later it is because they hate the fight.

On the other hand, many just use that as an excuse to not do something that scares them a bit too much. Basically they are actually afraid, but do not want to show it in front of their men friends.
I agree.

To add to the typical coworker situation where their wives won't let them have/do anything cool (motorcycles and music gear is a common theme), the guy who sits closest to me is followed by his wife on his cell phones GPS to make sure he doesn't go out to eat for lunch. She calls to verify his location. I guess it's "easier" to avoid the fight. RIP...

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #240
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I agree.

To add to the typical coworker situation where their wives won't let them have/do anything cool (motorcycles and music gear is a common theme), the guy who sits closest to me is followed by his wife on his cell phones GPS to make sure he doesn't go out to eat for lunch. She calls to verify his location. I guess it's "easier" to avoid the fight. RIP...
That's insane to have someone keep tabs on him like that.
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote