Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Cams were known to wear, probably due to marginal oiling to the cams and maybe partially due to soft metal used to make the cam. Check the lobe heights.
This is a VFR, not a VF, and the premature cam wear problem was generally solved with the VFR. Not that they couldn't be an issue on any bike like this, of course.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
danielcut OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
As stated before, it would be far too costly to really "restore" a bike like this to its former glory. However, it may be a nice bike to at least get up and running and made into something at least rideable. Just looking at the carbs let's me know it's going to be a pain to work on them but judging by the shape of the bike I'm 99% sure that the carbs will have to come off. Though for the time being I will try letting some seafoam sit in them. I'm hoping we'll be done moving next weekend and I'll have the chance to tear it down a little more and see what I'm actually working with and if it's even worth working on.
danielcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 551
Pull the top covers and check the cams for wear. This would be the point at which the decision is made for me to continue spending money or not.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
smack doogle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Have fun. The 86 VFR 750 and 700s was the beginning of the strong cams so you should have nothing to worry about with the engine assuming the oil and filter was changed on a regular basis.

Don't worry about the carbs. Just make sure you keep them together on the plate and don't seperate them. A trick to putting them back on easy in about 5 minutes. Use a hair dryer on the intake boots (get them warm and a lil soft and us some vaseline. They'll slide right on first try. You can also just buy some new rubber boots too.

I would love to find a deal like that. My '86 took a little bit of work to make it into what it is but not to much since it was in great shape when I got it. (My VF1000r is now gone to California)

Here's a pic of mine. Feel free to copy :)

For fun, here is my '93 I bought for $250. Not as good a deal as yours but not bad but it had been sitting in someones yard for 5 years. It took some work for sure. Again, the carbs were just cleaned and she fired up.

when I brought her home

How she sits after 6 months of work and about $1200 thrown at it.

There's your motivation!!!!! Get to work!!!!!!! (post pics of progress please)
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,718
Totally jealous.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #21
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I had an 86 700 and loved it. Put about 35000 trouble free miles on it. With a Kerker white tip slip on it was still one of the best sounding bikes I've ever heard.

As mentioned, the carbs are tricky to get out, but once you figure out the method its really not that bad.

I bought a pair of non-running 83 VFs a year ago and went through the carbs on both. The third time out it was literally 20 minutes from first turn of a wrench to on the bench, and I had them back in almost as fast.

Also as noted, the cam issues were solved in the VFR. Really good motors, comfortable and way ahead of their time. I'd buy a cheap one in a second.

I'd also upgrade the wheels to radial CBR spec!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
danielcut OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thanks for all the info guys! especially smack doogle, that really gave me some inspiration and let me know that it can be done! I'll definitely post pics as work continues on it.
danielcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #23
smack doogle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielcut View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! especially smack doogle, that really gave me some inspiration and let me know that it can be done! I'll definitely post pics as work continues on it.
Great! Can't wait to see the progress. A couple of tips that are free and can make the resto much better.

1. Take your time. It's your project and no one elses.
2. Take all comments and suggestions with a grain of salt. What works for some won't work for others.
3. When you get stuck on something and start getting pissed at it, take a break for an hour or a few days. (I have no idea how many times I thought it was a good idea to punch the frame while trying to carb synch a V-four rather than take a break)
4. chinease parts are cheap but not always bad. Save money where you can but spend wisely
5. VFRworld and VFRdiscussion have more info. than imaginable. There are members there who have done the unthinkable (single sided swingarms on VF1000Rs/VFR750s and nearly every USD fork onto every VFR)
6. Know your limits but don't let them get in the way. Example, I never fixed or painted bodywork. I knew ahead of time that if I tried it, the outcome would probably suck but I wanted to learn. My '93 (above) looks good from 10 ft. I'm okay with that cause I did it but I also learned, I will never do it again. Not fun for me and the $1000 spent on perfect paint and bodywork is worth it to me.

Okay, that's all from me. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I may not have all the answers but I can help find them. I'm a sucker for rescuing VFRs.
smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote