Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #391
pistol777
Freedom Seeker

Oddometer: 323
I agree 100% Snowriders trip reports are inspirational. Snowrider any trips planned?
pistol777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #392
roc104
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Looks fun, be safe...thanks for the pics
roc104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #393
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Aaron, fantastic ride report!! Your attitude about traveling is just great. I say you're primed for bumming the world.

I'm in the process of planning for my own ride to Alaska this summer on my DR. Maybe I'll swing by Madison in the spring.

Cheers,
Just send a message if you're coming by, I've got a shop if you need to get anything done on your bike and space to crash.
The problem with this kind of "bumming" is it's so expensive. If I could find a way to combine motorcycle travel and real hoboing, I'd love to. Maybe I need a bike that runs on cooking oil or chicken scratch, or used starbucks cups.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #394
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
When you goin' again Snowy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol777
Snowrider any trips planned?
The next logical step is the rest of this hemisphere, central and south america. I need at least $5k to go. Currently, I'm saving no money towards this goal as my shop and recording space is costing me about as much as I make. I'm really going to try to make some money with the shop this year by getting some more lucrative bikes to strip and part out than the old freebies filling my shop now. If I can't start making money to at least come close to paying it's rent, I need to find a cheap space and start saving for the next trip. Or maybe I need to just work on some of this other stuff and the next trip is years down the line. I don't know right now, but I sure wish I could do a trip every year. Last summer I went nowhere. This summer I'm hoping to at least get to the appalacians for a week.
Too bad none of you guys own travel magazines or publishing companies.

I'll go as far and long as anyone wants, on any bike they want, if someone hooks me up. And I have a standing offer to any motorcycle company, if they want their bike ridden N. E. WHERE., I will find a way to ride it there, any time of year or weather, no matter what motorcycle...
if they foot the bill. (in case any execs happen across this)
Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #395
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Snowrider, I first read this report a couple of years ago, but I wish I had been reading it when you were on the trip. I'm pretty sure you went pretty close to my house when you went from the Oregon coast to see the spruce goose. I would've ridden to the Evergreen Aviation Museum with you. I've never been there, and it's only 30 miles south of where I live.
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #396
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRsteve
Snowrider, I first read this report a couple of years ago, but I wish I had been reading it when you were on the trip. I'm pretty sure you went pretty close to my house when you went from the Oregon coast to see the spruce goose. I would've ridden to the Evergreen Aviation Museum with you. I've never been there, and it's only 30 miles south of where I live.
Well I definitely recommend it. Lots of neat stuff to see, and of course the spruce goose, which you can step into.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #397
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 372
Stumbled across this thread while doing some research on the DR650. I had almost written it off, but after seeing what is possible on it it's back on my short list. Wasn't sure it was capable of this kind of trip, but you have proven me wrong. It seems like a very capable bike. BTW - Great Report! Thanks for taking the time. I enjoyed every page of it. If you ever decide to explore Ohio (or just pass on through - which is what I recommend... ) and need a place to stop, let me know.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #398
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

A few people told me a bunch of the pictures had stopped working so I just re-uploaded all the ones that weren't working. If anyone finds any that quit just send me a message and I'll fix it when I get a chance.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 AM   #399
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,372
cool
Old 11-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #400
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,184
Bump, cause it that good

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #401
crspep
Circling the drain

Oddometer: 165
Thumb Nice Ride

I just got done scanning this awesome trip you did, and I don't know if I missed it somewhere in there, but about how much $$$ did you go through ? I would love to do a trip like this someday..... Hopefully the photos and chronicles of rides like this will give me the motivation to carve out the time and money to go do one...... Did you sit down and plan every detail of the trip, or did you just do it by the seat of your pants and hit the atm & credit card whenever you needed ? Great pics and narrative..... Way cool.
Me: Gear on and waiting for my race partner to hand off the bike. 8yr old kid: Hey, you race'n ? Me: (looking around to see if he"s talking to someone else).. Ummmm, yeah. 8yr old: What kind of bike you ride'n ? Me: KX 500. 8yr old: (looking puzzled for a second.) Ohhh, you're riding that OLD bike.
crspep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:52 AM   #402
GSAmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Have fun. Keep us posted!

-GSAmann

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
GSAmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #403
steyr_scout308
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Ended at page 21. The rest must be well-deserved kudos. Great report.
steyr_scout308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #404
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

About $5,000. I didn't plan anything except getting there and what I'd take. You can do it for a lot less, I wasn't even trying to be frugal. The mexico trip was done for much less, and after losing my atm card I had money wired to me and kept most of it in a zip lock bag in my boot (mx boot). I recommend this method if you don't want to blow through lots of cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crspep
I just got done scanning this awesome trip you did, and I don't know if I missed it somewhere in there, but about how much $$$ did you go through ? I would love to do a trip like this someday..... Hopefully the photos and chronicles of rides like this will give me the motivation to carve out the time and money to go do one...... Did you sit down and plan every detail of the trip, or did you just do it by the seat of your pants and hit the atm & credit card whenever you needed ? Great pics and narrative..... Way cool.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #405
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
reservations

Hey Snowrider did you have to make reservations on any of the ferrys, or did you just wing it. Great report and pictures.
dogmoon is offline   Reply With Quote