Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #421
greygeezer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Great writing! Just found this, loved it!!
greygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #422
Damiano
damianomigani

Oddometer: 87
Great report! Thanks for it.
I went last April, all covered in snow. Next time I want to go in the summer, green is pretty too!
My report

Ride on
Damiano
Old 06-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #423
snowjob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Awesome ride, thanks for the report. You're now the 2nd ADVer I have stumbled across in Madison that has posted an Alaska ride (Bananaman was the other). Funny I had not found it before as I am a big Egan fan, so I must have missed the reference or it was likely before my own ADV days. How long did the total trip take? I am really itching for a longer trip and have considered the TAT and/or heading to Alaska to visit my sister in Anchorage. It is just hard to figure out how to squeeze the trip in with family & work (though I think I have an opportunity with the 2nd item real soon ).

Would love to hear the story in person if you are up for it. Next Madison M&G, the drinks would be on me.
snowjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #424
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Snowrider, I have really enjoyed this ride report. Funny it would be written by a guy in Madison- I grew up in Union Grove by Racine. I can almost still hear the Wisconsin accent as you crack your jokes

Just purchased an 08 DR650 last week Monday - planning on Alaska from Pensacola next summer. Hopefully it will be as cool as your trip but with completely different moments of drama and different people; each trip becomes a unique part of who we are, a part which some of us share with others (as youve done here). Thanks for giving us all the ability to be free of the daily grind through your words; I hope it is me who can give the same next year!

Cheers
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #425
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,440
Well hell what a time consumer this RR was. What a wonderful waste of time it has been. Funny, at the ripe age of 51 and a long time dirt rider and new to DS riding; I decided the other night that I wanted to plan a ride to Alaska in 2 years. Then by karma's forces and cosmic alignment, I found this RR. Took 2 days to read every word. Been to Alaska twice, once to assess the impacts from the Valdez spill in 1999. Then in 2005 with my parents and nephew via RV rental in Anchorage. Both trips there had a large impact on me. Now that I have read this report, I know it is destiny. My wife can meet me there maybe in her motorhome.

I also suggest that you read some Tim Cahill, you and he have a lot in common.

Thank you for the great report - huba huba from New Mexico.
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #426
76Explorer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Out comes another lurker. Excellent writing! I got started reading and coudn't stop until I finished. I've been to Alaska and always thought it would be cool to go back and explore it on a motorcycle. I don't know when it can happen but Snowrider, you have inspired me.
76Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #427
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Awesome photos for sure!

I have two kids that live in Anchorage so we get up there once in awhile. BUT, wouldn't it be sooooo great to go there on my bike! Since going on 69 probably isn't going to work anymore so I'll have to read and watch from my old-man recliner.
Thanks for the great RR as it's just the thing for someone like me.....

Gary "Oldone"
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #428
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I will confess- its threads like this that keep me from being in total despair about picking up a DR650. While I like the bike, im afraid as a n00b it might not take me the places on my alaska trip next year I need to go. Id like to end up in the boonies of colorado and such- not at a mx pace- just get there. I got a sweet 08 with 6700 miles on it and already about 1.4k in farkles, but the way everyone makes it sound, the DR wont make it in the rough stuff. Im starting to seriously wish I had a wr250r, but I didnt know it existed when I got the DR. Sorry for the rant- I immensely enjoyed this report AGAIN (read it all the way through twice now) and it gives me hope that all might not be lost for my similar trip..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #429
aDave
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 184
Very cool ride and report. I sure like the simplicity of the DR and seemed rock solid for you. Thank you for posting this up. Bump so others can enjoy it as well.

Take care.
Dave

Pacifism is a luxury of the defended.
aDave is offline   Reply With Quote