User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Orange County to Alaska

So a group of us are starting to plan a trip from Orange County, CA to Alaska. I'm hoping I can get a bunch of tips and suggestions on planning our route. None of us has made this trip before. As for as I know I'll be on a hack '79 R100RT, few other peeps will be on a SV650, Ducati Monster, R1, and maybe an R65.

How long do you suggest we should plan for a trip like this? Also any routes or sites to see along the way. I'd love to make it up the Arctic Circle and get a picture there. Also what kind of weather can we expect during the late spring early summer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,608
Ride To Remember

Get to Cody WY - Take Hwy 120 north from Cody to Hwy 296 (Chief Joseph Byway) - Ride the Chief Joseph Byway to the Beartooth Hwy and then over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, MT - Ride from Red Lodge on Hwy 78 to Absarokee and then north to Hwy 12 - Hwy 12 west to Helena then I15 north to exit 200 (6 miles of slab) - west on Hwy 279 over Flesher Pass to Hwy 200 - East to Hwy 287 to Hwy 89, north to Hwy 2 then west thru Glacier Park (or go all the way to St Mary and ride the "Road to the Sun" thru the park) - Hwy 2 to Bonners Ferry ID - North into BC and go to Crawford Bay - ferry (free) to Balfour - then Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp - North to ferry from Shelter Bay to Galena Bay (free) - Hwy 1 to Hwy 93 (Banff Park) - west on 93 to Jasper (Icefield Parkway)- (Hwy 16 Yellowhead Hwy) - west on Hwy 16 to Kitwanga - Hwy 37 (Cassiar Hwy) to Hyder turn off (side trip to Hyder AK well worth the 80 mile round trip) - Cassiar north to ALCAN vicinity Watson Lake - ALCAN to Whitehorse - Klondike Hwy north from Whitehorse to Dawson City - ferry across the Yukon (free) to the Top of the World Hwy and Taylor Hwy (100+ miles of dirt) thru Chicken Alaska back to ALCAN vicinity Tok - ALCAN to Delta then Richardson Hwy to Fairbanks.

June is the driest month in the interior of Alaska (Fairbanks area). I'd recommend taking at least 4 weeks and leave CA on or about 10 June. Maybe a bit chilly (I was in Deadhorse once in late June and it was 24 degrees and snowing), but tends to be drier and with fewer mosquitos.

The Arctic Circle is at mile 115 of the Dalton Hwy. Much of the 115 miles is paved (at least 70 miles if I remember correctly). The start of the Dalton is at mile 72 of the Elliot Hwy. All of the Elliot up to mile 72 is paved. The start of the Elliot is about 12 miles north of Fairbanks. If you go to the Circle you might as well go on up to Coldfoot at mile 172 and stay the night and get fuel; the other fuel is at the Yukon River (mile 60 of the Dalton) and Hilltop (mile 5 of the Elliot).

I used to live in Fairbanks and have been on these roads dozens of time.

Hope you have a great ride!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Wow looks like I'll be needing more than a month to get up there and really enjoy ourselves. Roughly 7000 miles round trip.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
47ohv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Alaska

Kevin,
Thanks for the write up. I also am planning a trip up there next spring. I live in Upstate, S.C. a little place called Longcreek down in the SE corner of this Great nation. I plan to leave 1st of may. I have heard from many that best time to be their is June. I really enjoyed the Free Ferry tips. I hear some of the ferries can be alot of $$$. I have a 02 1150 GSA for the trip. my goal is the Art Circle. I am thinking of going into Canada around the Great Lakes and riding West to the Rockies then on into Alaska. Then comming back to the USA by your suggestion. I plan to carry my 38 S&W with m,e I always carry it where ever I go. Whats it like getting into Canada with that on board? Also should I get a pass port for easy access across the Boarder? Thanks ahead for any tips and advise
Mark D.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47ohv View Post
Kevin,
Thanks for the write up. I also am planning a trip up there next spring. I live in Upstate, S.C. a little place called Longcreek down in the SE corner of this Great nation. I plan to leave 1st of may. I have heard from many that best time to be their is June. I really enjoyed the Free Ferry tips. I hear some of the ferries can be alot of $$$. I have a 02 1150 GSA for the trip. my goal is the Art Circle. I am thinking of going into Canada around the Great Lakes and riding West to the Rockies then on into Alaska. Then comming back to the USA by your suggestion. I plan to carry my 38 S&W with m,e I always carry it where ever I go. Whats it like getting into Canada with that on board? Also should I get a pass port for easy access across the Boarder? Thanks ahead for any tips and advise
Mark D.
Mark,

There is absolutely, without doubt, unequivocally, no way you can legally bring a handgun into Canada. No waiver, exceptions or deals are available... no handguns, no way, no how, never. If you try to do so you will get an up close and detailed view of the Canadian legal system from the inside. Any questions?

You must have a passport or passport card to cross the US - Canadian border in either direction. I've heard there is such a thing as an enhanced driver's license that may be used, but I know nothing about it. A regular license is not going to work. If you have a felony record or a DUI you will not be allowed in Canada... and, yes we share such records between the nations.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
There is absolutely, without doubt no way you can legally bring a handgun into Canada. No waiver, exceptions or deals are available... no handguns, no way, never. If you try to do so you will get an up close and detailed view of the Canadian legal system. Any questions?

You must have a passport or passport card to cross the US - Canadian border in either direction. I've heard there is such a thing as an enhanced driver's license that may be used, but I know nothing about it. A regular license is not going to work. If you have a felony record or a DUI you will not be allowed in Canada... and, yes we share such records between the nations.
I believe the RCMP might disagree.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
I did not say firearms are not allowed, I said hand guns. Long guns are okay, but you pay a fee. My wife and I crossed the US - Canadian border over 20 times in the past year, including once with some rifles, so I know the drill.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Suitcase
Suitcase

Oddometer: 15
trips to AK n Yukon

Good route info.. And travel north of Prince George Bc gets simple as there are very few options for roads.
Once past Pr.George gas stations although not rare...are few n far between.
June 2012 was rather wet in my opinion...mostly rain from Dease Lake and north.
It rained a bit every day while i camped outside Whitehorse for a week. Not heavey downpours tho'.
Motels are crazy overpriced...campsites in BC and Yukon are about $10.00 - 12.00 per nite but firewoods included.
Forget about getting a handgun into Canada unless you have specific law enforcement waivers that take months to secure. Buy a can of bear spray for around $40.00cdn at any Home Hardware store in BC and consider it your "sidearm".
Heading for the Dust 2 Dawson Ralley??
Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
The hand gun question has been answered so many times here and doubtlessly on other forums too.
At this point I'm willing to say search this forum for advice and if you don't want to,
feel free to try but don't make me say "I told you so".
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitcase View Post
Heading for the Dust 2 Dawson Ralley??

That phrase will get you in a heap of trouble in Dawson.... It is not a rally!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
hmmm, I am going to Alaska next june, live in Orange County, own a sv650 and my girlfriend owns a monster.

Are you talking about me? lol

Here is my planning.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810964