Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #31
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
it's hard to imagine anyone thinking the Harley is as spacious, or surpasses the ride of the big Vics. (unless they sell Harleys that is )
Spacious? YES.

Ride? Harley touring bike hands down over the touring Vic. And Dyna's and Softails over the Vics cruiser bikes... sorry but I have ridden several and the ride is the very reason I was able to do so as they were traded in for a Harley Mostly because they made the mistake of going on a test ride.

The Vic's are a better fit for tall humans than a Harley. A Raider S and a Stratoliner are even better for Tall people than the Vic.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 11:05 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #32
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,044
I'm wondering too

Been wondering since last Spring...

Was about to ask the same/similar questions so I'll just tack on here.

Generally, I like older bikes but I understand the 70's were not a great time for HD,;although as kids we had a Harley-AMF 175(?) to run around on which was a lot of fun.

The 60's vintage are gorgeous but more cash than I can justify at present.

For me, I think it's a Dyna. Currently eyeballing a '95 with less than 20k miles; looks new.

In fact, quite a few HDs have what seems to me ultra low mileage for their age. I'm unsure if that is a problem as far as seals, etc, or not?

Also, I read quite a few remarks about the HD handling in terms of ground clearance, scraping in corners,etc. Seems to me these are mostly the bigger bikes, the RK for example. I'd think any large touring bike w/ floorboards and so forth would do the same. The Dyna, much like the Sportster looks to have more than adequate clearance for sportier riding,no?

To me, the Dyna looks much like a larger version of a Sportster?

Also, pricing seems fairly consistent to a point -right @ $10k; they obviously hold their value ?

As is evident, I'm an HD n00b so any personal experiences are welcome.

ozmoses screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 09:00 AM
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #33
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quit wondering and test drive at the Dealer. The three I've been to were very helpful and knowledgeable and accommodating for test rides.
I went from a '05 GS I bought new, to a '08 Dyna Fat Bob i bought in '11 with 198 miles on it, to a '12 Road King purchased in May this year.
I put 40,000 miles on the GS in 7 years , 10,000 miles on Fat Bob in a year and now 10,000 on the Road King in 6 Months...yes I really like the Road King
With the strong aftermarket and huge dealer network you can make any Harley anything you want it to be except ultralight weight.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #34
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 797
Thumb Dyna used

I just picked up a 05 Dyna with 7k on the clock; gave a very reasonable 7k for and have been smiling since. True, the bike needs Racetech spring and emulators, a set of rear suspenders but besides that it is one of the most fun bikes I own ( for a picture look at my http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730380 thrad; 5th page).

What I am stating with all that is, that there are so many hanger queens out there why get new? The PO took it throught the "infant mortality" stage and I will just rack up miles and smiles.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Buffet View Post
Thanks, you guys! Good info and I'm especially grateful to Dakez!
I can get to Eugene without too much trouble. Plus, it's one of my favorite areas!
It won't be very soon, but I'll be in touch.
I'm wondering if three would be a crowd? I too am looking for the same type bike(HD vs Victory).
Just a thought.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #36
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
My daughter's last boyfriend had a 1200 sporty. She hated the thing, especially as a passenger; she made him take the Vespa if he was going to carry her anywhere. And I rode it, and it didn't feel like a motorcycle to me; it felt like a crude implement of destruction. I'm not a Harley-hater. I've ridden bikes that represent most of the lineup -- Sporties, Softails, V-Rod, Road King, XR1200. Most of those were pretty good bikes. I like the Road King a lot. But the Sportster, not so much.

Every one of those IS a low end bike within their respective lineups.

PhilB
as you said,

the sportster 1200 IS a crude implement of destruction thats why its awesome!

your definition of 'low end,' is kinda weird though.

'low end,' to me, would be some chinese copy or or a half hearted knock off, of the bike i would want.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #37
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
as you said,

the sportster 1200 IS a crude implement of destruction thats why its awesome!

your definition of 'low end,' is kinda weird though.

'low end,' to me, would be some chinese copy or or a half hearted knock off, of the bike i would want.
That's why I said "low end of their respective ranges", not "low end overall". We had been talking about Sportsters, and the context of that being the low end Harley. It's not a low end bike overall, but is the entry-level HD. So I was speaking in the same idea, and said so specifically. So "some chinese copy or or a half hearted knock off" wasn't even in the picture.

The Bonneville-based bikes are the entry-level Triumphs; I don't think they make anything cheaper than those. The W-bikes are not Kawasaki's lowest end, but they are definitely in the bottom half of the line-up. The Monsters are clearly Ducati's lowest/cheapest/entry-level models. We were talking about major manufacturers, mostly of upper-end bikes to start with.

If I note (correctly) that the Porsche Boxster is their low end car, that doesn't mean it's low end in the whole car market; it's the entry-level *Porsche*. If someone pops up and says he likes the entry-level BMW (say, the 135i) better than the entry level Porsche, that conversation does not have anything necessarily to do with the high end models of either manufacturer, and even less to do with a Kia or something.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #38
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
If I note (correctly) that the Porsche Boxster is their low end car, that doesn't mean it's low end in the whole car market; it's the entry-level *Porsche*. If someone pops up and says he likes the entry-level BMW (say, the 135i) better than the entry level Porsche, that conversation does not have anything necessarily to do with the high end models of either manufacturer, and even less to do with a Kia or something.

PhilB
oh yeah! a whole new can of worms

the 135i is bad ass, the smallest and most nimble of the current bmw line-up, and has huuuuuge potential. (i wish i could have kept my rust free 1970 bmw 2002 /cry )

the boxster...uh, just buy a used 911 please, preferably aircooled.

btw Phil, you have some epic rides
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #39
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
oh yeah! a whole new can of worms

the 135i is bad ass, the smallest and most nimble of the current bmw line-up, and has huuuuuge potential. (i wish i could have kept my rust free 1970 bmw 2002 /cry )

the boxster...uh, just buy a used 911 please, preferably aircooled.

btw Phil, you have some epic rides
Thanks.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #40
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Spacious? YES.

Ride? Harley touring bike hands down over the touring Vic. And Dyna's and Softails over the Vics cruiser bikes... sorry but I have ridden several and the ride is the very reason I was able to do so as they were traded in for a Harley Mostly because they made the mistake of going on a test ride.

The Vic's are a better fit for tall humans than a Harley. A Raider S and a Stratoliner are even better for Tall people than the Vic.
No need to be sorry, you are just different than the vast majority I have talked to, including myself. The Harley is little, slow, and antiquated feeling compared to the Vic.

There were two Harleys traded in on the first demo day I went to as well. Most of the guys at both demo days rode there on Harleys, but the conversations after the test rides were at least 90% in favor of the Vics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 07:09 PM
2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #41
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I will echo that I found Harleys far more comfortable than Vics. The Vics seemed almost right to me...dunno what was missing or wrong just didn't suit me. I now have a RoadKing and have no complaints! I agree with all the other respondents: TEST RIDE at a dealer. I rode everything, I mean everything that peaked my interest until I found the one that was "mine". good luck
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #42
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
TEST RIDE at a dealer. I rode everything, I mean everything that peaked my interest until I found the one that was "mine". good luck
I took that a step farther and rented when I bought mine. I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a $18,000 mistake.

As for the Harley's, there are plenty of haters but I love the bike. Have owned 4 so far, currently with 2 that are going to stay around for a while.

When I ride 'other' cruisers, or crusier-based touring bikes, I always find flaws that I hate. Little things, like pegs being in the wrong place, ugly 'chromed plastic', Handlebars that suck but look expensive to change, poorly thought out saddlebags, etc. Not to say those aren't good bikes, but not built to the standards that I am used to seeing on Harley's.

Ok, they have 1930's technology, are heavy, slow, whatever. My Sportster if I remember right is only a few pounds heavier than my ZX-14, and is way lighter than my FJR. Is it slow, well, yeah. It's a stock 883. My Road King is heavy, but so are the other big bore touring bikes/cruisers. It's slow compared to my FJR, but I have a lot of loaded 2-up touring miles on it and have never had a problem. Ever. No breakdowns, no power issues, nothing.

To make the sportster comfortable to me I changed bars with a set I had sitting in the garage, added a small windscreen, and changed the seat. That's it. The rear springs are about maxed out when the girlfriend and some luggage is with me, but that's fixable with a set of e-bay road king shocks. Might do that over the winter. I took off the drag pipes the PO put on, threw on some stock mufflers, and messed with the jetting a bit. That was just clearing up past modifications, can't blame the bike for that.

The Road King all I did was change handlebars. I actually did that a few times finding what I wanted, but the bars are cheap enough that it wasn't too bad. I did add a set of resistors in the O2 sensors, I guess they are supposed to richen it up a touch. I don't know about all that, it seems the same to me.

OP- You said you weren't impressed with a Sportster. The Sportster line is a whole different animal compared to the big twins. It would be like riding a Honda Rebel and saying you don't want a VTX1800 because you weren't impressed with the Rebel.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #43
Airedale1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New guy here. After 40 years of riding British bikes I decided last year it was time to own a Harley to see what it was like. Since I like going around corners, and am used to 450 lb bikes, it took a little work to find a H-D model that would work for me. I don't care for the Barca lounger on wheels style, and though the Sportsters not quite right for some reason.

I eventually found what I wanted in the FXDXT, sold in 2001-2003. The FXDXT is also known as the Dyna Super Glide Sport Touring model. It has some unique features for a Harley: full adjustable front forks and rear suspension, a small fairing and windshield, detachable nylon fabric saddle bags, weighs about 650 lbs, dual front discs, and a rubber monted engine to reduce vibration. Prices are not bad, $5000 - $7000.

It's perfect for me, handles really well, accelerates well enough, stops well, comfortable, reliable, looks like a motorcycle, sounds good, and my wife likes riding on it more than on my Norton Commando (when it's running...). Knowing how you guys ride, it doesn't sound like much, but I put 2 hours on it yesterday, with no aches or pains from my out-of-warranty lower back, which just doesn't happen on the Commando.

Check it out, the Harley that isn't a Harley. Guess that's why they only made the model for 3 years.
Airedale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #44
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Buffet View Post
I have a GS and a Tiger. I've had a 1000DL, KLR, Versys, Virago 920, '82 KZ 750, and a Honda S90 back when the earth was still cooling. Started riding eons ago, but with a 31-year break. So, a geezer-newby .
Anyway, I've only ridden one HD. It was a Sportster and I wasn't impressed.
But, I find myself casting furtive looks at HDs and I don't know why. I don't think the forward controls are very comfortable and at 6'3" the short seat seems kinda awkward.
Asking this august brain-trust, is there a HD that I might like, given those caveats?
How about similar bikes? Roadliners, Vulcans, Victories, etc... I like the looks of the Speedmaster, but 865 seems a little lite.
I'm not going to run out and write any checks, I'm mostly curious as to opinions, but positive input will probably lead to test rides. I'm looking for experienced riders to help me sort through the complex number of models.
I'll always keep the GS, but I'm looking to broaden my experience.
Thanks!
Max
If you want a Harley, you would probably be happier with one of the big FL models (Touring family). HD and the aftermarket offer lots of accessories to help you tailor it to fit you. Different bars, seats, windshields, etc.

HD quality is probably as good as anyone's, but no better. They do an excellent job with paint and chrome, that's for sure.

My biggest problem with HD is they also do an excellent job of lightening your wallet. Expect to pay through the nose for anything and everything. The good news is, it looks to me like you get what you pay for when it comes to service. Expensive, but they do a good job.

As for me, I park my extra wide derriere on a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad - think of it as a Japanese Road King. I expect it to last pretty much forever if I want it to, and it costs a lot less, both to buy and to own. I will do a lot of the service work myself. I am very happy with my Nomad, and I don't see how HD has anything to offer that I don't already have - plus I have shaft drive and liquid cooling.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #45
BeefEater
BR 549

Oddometer: 11
I, like many of the other posters here, have ridden a myriad of other bikes so I say this with a grain of salt. For eating up slab I have found no more enjoyable way of doing it than on my '10 Street Glide. A windshield, room to wiggle around in the saddle, and a Hogwired Stereo loud enough to hear without strain at interstate speed has made 1,000+ mile days possible without undue boredom and discomfort.
If your thinking about getting a dose of the $100 dollar a cup koolaid I would suggest test riding one of the FL (Touring) bikes. I like my Street Glide because I am am partial to the bat wing fairing, matte black paint, chopped windscreen, and no top box. However, if I could have overlooked the fairing on the Road Glide I would have purchased one. The fact being is that the weight of the fairing, instruments, stereo, speakers, ect. is supported by brackets from the frame and not by the forks as on the Street Glide and Electra Glide which results in better handling. If your taller I would caution against the Street Glide as it has a lower seat height.
Yes, the bikes are very heavy but once you get used to it, it is not problematic as long as you don't tip over too far. In reference to handling, they are not designed as high speed machines and I have experienced what I would classify as "slight" suspension upset when being a little too aggressive with the input at interstate and interstate + speeds but for just riding around I really do love em. In further regards to handling, with the appropriate throttle, clutch, and rear brake manipulation slow speed operation is fun and can be achieved with not much room.
Not withstanding, I used to be a consumer of Harley "hateraid"..... then I bought a 09 HD NightTrain to complement my SV650..... now I own 2 Harleys and the SV is gone but not forgotten.
Harley has a propaganda machine like no other and as mrbreeze said they love to take your money and are not shy about doing it. Owning a Harley is like have a large, loud, slightly uncouth friend..... not the most appropriate for all situations but you love em anyway.
What it comes down to is getting the right amount of happiness for the money.
P.S. per the motorcycle rumor mill Honda will be manufacturing a V-4 Superbike based off of the RC 213V in the near future (2013-2014) so maybe save your money for one of those instead or buy both.....I know I am putting away my pennies.