Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #46
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefEater View Post
Owning a Harley is like have a large, loud, slightly uncouth friend..... not the most appropriate for all situations but you love em anyway.
"Uncouth", That's funny.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #47
bvkamp
agent provocateur

Oddometer: 1,525
I'm 6'6" and have owned both a Harley and a Victory.

I previously had the Victory 8-Ball a few years ago, and presently have the Harley Softail Blackline.

I think the motors perform similarly. The suspension might be a little better on the Vic. The ergos are almost the same- both are splendid for a tall rider. On both bikes my legs bend about 90 degrees with the "forward" controls, so it fits me like normal people on a standard. The details and finish on the harley are better than the Vic, hands down. The Harley just exudes quality. I'm sure that explains the difference in price. I also prefer the nostalgic styling of the Harley. The Vic has too many modernistic styling cues.

I agree with the earlier comment- having a Harley is indeed like having an obnoxious friend. It's loud and it carries with it the stigma of the over-marketed Harley lifestyle. But I still love it. I am in the process of replacing the pipes you see in the picture with a much quieter Supertrapp, in order to dial down the obnoxious quotient.

Other bikes I have owned in the past include a BMW R1150GS, KTM 625SXC, BMW HP2, and Triumph Scrambler. Each of those bike was rewarding to me in its own way. My Harley Davidson is no different. It is a true pleasure to ride. The manner in which it delivers torque is nothing short of addictive.

bvkamp screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 08:59 PM Reason: fixing photo
bvkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #48
bvkamp
agent provocateur

Is that photo not coming up? Hmmm... here is a link:

http://s951.beta.photobucket.com/use..._6301.jpg.html
Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #49
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Interesting thread. For many years, I could not have imagined riding a Harley, ever. And touring bikes are still not my thing.

But then I ended up riding a Sportster and, what do you know, I really enjoyed it. Granted, a Sportster is neither the fastest nor the most comfortable bike - in fact, it may not be tops in any category of performance - yet for some reason the package is still appealing.

The great thing about a Harley is that you can make the thing yours - there's an abundance of parts available to change whatever you like. Plus, the Sportster is still a technically simple bike so if you weren't born with two left hands, with the help of a service manual you can fix just about anything yourself.

So having said all that, my R now barely resembles the image most people have of a Sportster and Harley purists may get sick at the sight of it, but I love it and ride it daily. It suits me perfectly (I'm 6'-2") and while it may still have its flaws (what doesn't?) it is a hoot to ride and my early morning commute is the best part of my day.

hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #50
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
Interesting thread. For many years, I could not have imagined riding a Harley, ever. And touring bikes are still not my thing.

But then I ended up riding a Sportster and, what do you know, I really enjoyed it. Granted, a Sportster is neither the fastest nor the most comfortable bike - in fact, it may not be tops in any category of performance - yet for some reason the package is still appealing.

The great thing about a Harley is that you can make the thing yours - there's an abundance of parts available to change whatever you like. Plus, the Sportster is still a technically simple bike so if you weren't born with two left hands, with the help of a service manual you can fix just about anything yourself.

So having said all that, my R now barely resembles the image most people have of a Sportster and Harley purists may get sick at the sight of it, but I love it and ride it daily. It suits me perfectly (I'm 6'-2") and while it may still have its flaws (what doesn't?) it is a hoot to ride and my early morning commute is the best part of my day.

Nice bike! I recently got one of the touring bikes you mention and really enjoy it, for its intended use. While I often (including now) have multiple bikes in the garage, I could see getting a smaller Harley too, which would be the first time I have 2 of the same brand at the same time.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #51
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
I'm having a street glide screaming eagle sent up from Florida for me. My father in law has an electraglide and I love it. I have my dads Vulcan 800 in my garage as well. He does not ride it. I love toolin around on a cruiser now. My versys will still be with me, but now going to be sharing the stable with some iron.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #52
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Max, like you I took a bunch of years off, mainly to live to be a father to my son. But when he turned fifteen I went shopping. I'd had an E-Glide before, but when I test rode the thing felt like a mass of disassociated blubber. Also cramped. I bought a Speed Triple which just turned out to be also somewhat cramped; so came down between the two and ended up with a K1200R. Heavy enough... big enough... plenty of power. Roomy. So do try before you buy. Of course the bike I miss no longer owning is a Sportster... weirdly.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #53
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvkamp View Post
Is that photo not coming up? Hmmm... here is a link:

http://s951.beta.photobucket.com/use..._6301.jpg.html
Photobucket
Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #54
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
....I'm done with big adventure or sport touring bikes.

The Harley is flat out the most satisfying to ride on tarmac at speeds 25 mph or less over the speed limit. Listening to tunes. In comfort.

This is EXACTLY how I've been thinking lately. I just sold a K1300S that I loved (for financial reasons...two kids leaving for college over the next two years) and I'm bikeless for the first time in 20 years. My last three bikes were BMWs...a K12S, GSA, and the K13 I just sold. They were all fantastic, and I loved them for what they were. But I couldn't put my finger on what I was really craving in a bike until I was visiting an HD dealer with a friend who rides a Heritage Softail, and took an offered test ride on a lightly used 2010 96-inch Road Glide. It was pure magic. Handled well ( and I don't mean 'for a cruiser')... It actually really handled well - with no caveat.

Riding position allowed you to stretch out and watch the world go by, which was one thing I loved about my GSA. But unlike the big GS, the Glide offered a combination of tangibles and intangibles to the ride that are hard to describe but immediately evident in the experience (did I just nearly say the "if you have to ask" thing?) But truly, the combination of that stereo playing whatever you want, and that Milwaukee music soundtrack playing all the time....I haven't had a ride that was so calming and so stirring at the same time since, well, forever.

I don't like the lifestyle nonsense. I've always liked the uniqueness of European bikes, and the fact that I was never one of the 9-out-of-10 bikes around here that are cruisers. I've probably done 20,000 miles over the years with the friend mentioned above who has always had Harleys, and I've ribbed him constantly over the years for riding that big poser pig.

But I realized, after that one 50-mile test ride, that NOT riding a bike because you don't want to be thought of as 'one of THOSE guys' is just as poserish as all the "lifestyle" subscribers (or the Rossi-wannabes or the GSA round-the-world Starbucks set). If your concern over how you're perceived had a strong bearing on the bike you ride, you've probably made the wrong choice...or at least, made it for the wrong reasons.

I'm a ways from being able to afford another bike right now, but when that day comes again for me, I'm gonna hop on a Road Glide and disappear for a week or three.

Unleaded screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 11:16 AM
Unleaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
bvkamp
agent provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
This is a nice bike. The way you raised it and added the tall seat makes me believe I could ride one of these some day (I'm 6'6"). I've always wanted a Sporty! I would use the 48 model as my blank canvas. Well done, sir!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #56
bvkamp
agent provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
I don't like the lifestyle nonsense. I've always liked the uniqueness of European bikes, and the fact that I was never one of the 9-out-of-10 bikes around here that are cruisers. I've probably done 20,000 miles over the years with the friend mentioned above who has always had Harleys, and I've ribbed him constantly over the years for riding that big poser pig.

But I realized, after that one 50-mile test ride, that NOT riding a bike because you don't want to be thought of as 'one of THOSE guys' is just as poserish as all the "lifestyle" subscribers (or the Rossi-wannabes or the GSA round-the-world Starbucks set). If your concern over how you're perceived had a strong bearing on the bike you ride, you've probably made the wrong choice...or at least, made it for the wrong reasons.
These are my sentiments exactly. I wanted one, but I let all the Harley brand bull$#!+ stop me more than once. I finally decided I don't care what other people think. Mind you, I don't own any Harley clothing or other merchandise, but I'm really pleased with the bike.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #57
Max Buffet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I appreciate the info, folks!
I WILL be trying out a couple of HDs.
(And a K1200R)!
Max Buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #58
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,523
I'm not a huge fan but one thing I have noticed is Harley dealers always seem more than willing to let you test ride. No better way to find out if it's for you.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 10:42 PM
anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #59
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvkamp View Post
This is a nice bike. The way you raised it and added the tall seat makes me believe I could ride one of these some day (I'm 6'6"). I've always wanted a Sporty! I would use the 48 model as my blank canvas. Well done, sir!
Thank you! If you were closer I'd say come by and try it out. The bike is quite high - I can't get both feet flat on the ground (doesn't bother me because I usually leave my left foot on the peg when I'm stopped) so there's room for even taller riders.

I love the 48 but somehow can't picture that bike raised - I would love to see some photos if anyone's done that yet.
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #60
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Man. I hate that used XR1200's are so rare. Why aren't there any other H-D's with similar ergos? a 30" seat and flat track bars are damn near perfect. Gimmie a fat boy with similar ergos without dropping thousands just to get the seat up to 30" (Fat Boy Tall?).

Oh, and mid controls, of course.

I just don't get the 25-27" seat heights and forward controls, you pretty much have to pass on the brand entirely (victory too) to escape that, other styling factors aside. Toys are great, but where are the useful tools?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Harley, I just can't stand low seat cruisers.